PDA

View Full Version : Low carb, high protein diet

uwish1
08-18-2008, 06:32 PM
What are some good foods to have? Low on carbs.

-NB-
08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
lots of Chicken, Beef, Turkey, peanut butter, almonds, Avocados....

Also for carbs: Broccoli and Green Beans

Fruit: Hit up Grape Fruit and Blueberries (Have been linked to weightloss)

gjohnson5
08-18-2008, 07:10 PM
lots of Chicken, Beef, Turkey, peanut butter, almonds, Avocados....

Also for carbs: Broccoli and Green Beans

Fruit: Hit up Grape Fruit and Blueberries (Have been linked to weightloss)

Blueberries have been linked to weight loss???
How?

belairdfence99
08-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Fiber, feel full
Antioxidants are supposed to help with something
Taste good

why not lol?

gjohnson5
08-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Fiber, feel full
Antioxidants are supposed to help with something
Taste good

why not lol?

What antioxidant in blueberry increases thermogenesis?
Leptin controls hunger not the satiety index. One with a fast metabolism will need calories even if their fiber intake is high. Also in terms of satiety , blueberries are almost void of protein.

*edit*
1 cup of blueberries only contains 4 gram of fiber
*edit*

The tastes good part is something I want to address. If something tastes good to a person then they might drop their discipline and continue to eat. Some will say that you could eat boxes of blueberries and not feel any impact. I doubt if those claims are real and factual. Anything in excess is bad.

plAythiNG
08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
also, blueberrys ahve the most nutrients compared to any other fruit :D

Eileen
08-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Eat lots of eggs, red meat, fish, chicken, lots and lots of green and salad veg. Also things like cheese, olive oil, nuts, seeds.

No sugar, grains, fruit, milk or processed food of any sort.

Your broccoli, spinach, fennel, watercress, mushrooms, cauliflower, cabbage, green beans, avocado, asparagus, rhubarb etc will provide all the antioxidents you need.

tiffy_sugar
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I think raspberries and blackberries are suppose to be right up there with blueberries... great for added sweetness to just about anything

Il_Dago
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Eat lots of eggs, red meat, fish, chicken, lots and lots of green and salad veg. Also things like cheese, olive oil, nuts, seeds.

No sugar, grains, fruit, milk or processed food of any sort.

Your broccoli, spinach, fennel, watercress, mushrooms, cauliflower, cabbage, green beans, avocado, asparagus, rhubarb etc will provide all the antioxidents you need.

You advocate cheese, but denounce fruit and milk. Why?

No hate, I just want to know.

Eileen
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
You advocate cheese, but denounce fruit and milk. Why?

No hate, I just want to know.

Because he is looking for a low carb diet. Fruit and milk can be very good foods, but not on a low carb diet.

Actually, most BB-ers who do low carb will have a high carb refeed day when they do eat fruit and drink milk.

Il_Dago
08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Makes sense. Fruit is not low carb, of course, but I was under the impression it was okay unless you were cutting down competition style. Is the jury still out on that one?

Eileen
08-19-2008, 03:02 PM
If you were doing a general low carb diet like South Beach or Atkins, then fruit is fine. However, if you are serious about cutting while gaining muscle, you'd normally do strict keto style low carb, have a refeed day then go back to keto. Because of the high carb refeed day, you are stricter about carbs during the week.

As far as possible, you'd get the carbs from green vegetables. Fruit tends to have more calories and less nutrients for the same number of carbs.

Il_Dago
08-19-2008, 03:09 PM
I see where you're coming from now. Thanks for clarifying.

-NB-
08-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Blueberries have been linked to weight loss???
How?
It was shown that polyphenol extracts from blueberries can induce weight loss...

gjohnson5
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
It was shown that polyphenol extracts from blueberries can induce weight loss...

A polyphenol is just a catagory of chemicals. Polyphenols exist in most all plants....
So how much blueberries would one have to eat to get that equivalent in the extract?
What polyphenol might I ask?

Or do you mean blueberry extract???