PDA

View Full Version : After all this weight loss I thought I would look better

OmegaMale
08-12-2008, 05:36 AM
But now i realize id need to drop a lot more fat to get to my goal of how i wanna look, i just thought by now id be further along. does anybody have similar experiences?

josh83
08-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Ya it usually happens this way, one main thing is alot of people check their bf% and assume all the muscle they have when they start, will be there when they're done, which isn't the case. When I started at about 330 lbs. I assumed I'd be 10% bodyfat at 215 lbs.....way wrong, I'm currently about 220 and need to lose another good 30 lbs. to be (roughly) where I want to be, and it may turn out that then I need to lose another 10.

Regardless of how perfect you diet, how heavy you lift, you WILL lose muscle, my big concern is gyno and loose skin, not sure how big of a problem this is going to be but at the moment it seems like it will be an issue, just sucks doing all this work to not be able to take my shirt off in confidence still, even if I go ahead and spend thousands on the surgeries, there's still some risk there and the obvious scars.

rpaul11
08-12-2008, 06:16 AM
But now i realize id need to drop a lot more fat to get to my goal of how i wanna look, i just thought by now id be further along. does anybody have similar experiences?

yeah...I thought once I hit 215 i'd be lookin pretty lean. Don't get me wrong. at 6'4 215 lbs I don't look to bad, but I still have some to go. I'm not sure what my BF is right now, but I'm above 15% for sure. I really need to bulk some as I know I have lost some muscle during all of this, but I'm just not ready to make thatmove yet.

OmegaMale
08-12-2008, 07:09 AM
I originally started at 215 pounds and thought that by the weight i am now id be pretty lean, but now i see that that for me to be close to 10% bodyfat id have to come down probably to 160-165 pounds. dont get me wrong im very happy i lost all this weight its just kinda frustrating to lose all this weight and still be so far. but i guess my goals have changed, im sure if soembody told me when i was 215 pounds that ud be 180 i wouldve been very happy. but as u drop the fat and see the progress u want to keep going and lose more fat.

NoFace525
08-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Ya it usually happens this way, one main thing is alot of people check their bf% and assume all the muscle they have when they start, will be there when they're done, which isn't the case. When I started at about 330 lbs. I assumed I'd be 10% bodyfat at 215 lbs.....way wrong, I'm currently about 220 and need to lose another good 30 lbs. to be (roughly) where I want to be, and it may turn out that then I need to lose another 10.

Regardless of how perfect you diet, how heavy you lift, you WILL lose muscle, my big concern is gyno and loose skin, not sure how big of a problem this is going to be but at the moment it seems like it will be an issue, just sucks doing all this work to not be able to take my shirt off in confidence still, even if I go ahead and spend thousands on the surgeries, there's still some risk there and the obvious scars.

x2000. Dood, I share the exact same freakin concerns! I have to say though 330 to 220! (clap, clap, clap, clap) I appluade you man! There are way too many people in this life that only wish they could do what you have done.

I am honestly more afraid of saggy skin than I am of fat.... true. But I did have a friend in the army that had a terrible lose skin problem and after seven years later you can't even tell he was big. I believe his starting weight was around 330 or so. He is now between 190 and 200 and he constantly drinks water and is taking vitamins daily along with working out.

When we first graduated form basic training and AIT he thought he was screwed because the docs told him that surgeory was the only way to go. On our pay that was definitley not an option.

If you look closely you can see the old stretch marks and were the loose skin used to be but he looks great now. So keep up the awsome work man!

BTW, what is your routine and meal plan?

corzzx
08-12-2008, 08:31 AM
You will probably never be satisfied with how your body looks. You may get happy with how you look but you will probably still want to look even better. It's a good thing in my opinion, makes me work harder.

bking10
08-12-2008, 08:35 AM
everytime i hit a goal i end up extending it. Id say its partly because my self perception still sees the fat me and also i underestimate the actual amount of fat i need to lose.

josh83
08-13-2008, 07:02 AM
I'll hop on here and pm you my meal plan/workout routine later, gotta get some sleep atm!

Ninjazn
08-13-2008, 07:23 AM
When I first starting weightlifting I weighed 198, now I'm 20 lbs down from when I started, and I don't like the way I look at all. I guess it's true that you are your own biggest critic.

Herkstetter
08-13-2008, 07:39 AM
It is true that you do lose muscle when you lost weight. Just like you gain some fat when you gain muscle. The main goal when losing weight is to lose as little muscle as possible when cutting. This mean by losing weight SLOWLY. People who lose more then 1-2 lbs per week lose more muscle and water weight then fat.

See, fat is such a slow energy source that 1-2 lbs is all that can be burned in a week.

Some basic rules to minimize muscle loss:

Cut calories gradually. Only cut it a couple hundred at first. When you plateau again, drop it another hundred or so until you start dropping again.

Eat a minimum of 5 meals a day. Eating small meals through out the day not only will make your metabolism go through the roof but actually shrink your stomach which will not only make you look better, you will feel fuller with less food, making it seem like you're not depriving yourself of food anyways.