PDA

View Full Version : Question for AA Christians

Amris
08-04-2008, 08:21 PM
For thousands of years, Christianity was used as the excuse to continue the enslavement of Africans, and then to bring them to the Americas as slaves.

I honestly wonder why more AAs don't hate Christianity, and I wonder even more why and how they can buy into the religion that so staunchly supported and argued for (and continues to harbor the same verses which condone) slavery.

Given the hatred some feel towards white people for being the oppressors, I just honestly can't understand why this doesn't extend to the religion that was used to justify it for so long. I mean, first, the religion is used to oppress them, and then they are indoctrinated into it, continuing the sense of being "bad" (this being a Christian staple- that people are all "bad"). How can you embrace one of the religions that oppressed and enslaved you for so long?

Thanks for any insight offered.

Aeris
08-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I hope this isn't too off topic, but:

As an anti-slavery argument, the enslaved African Americans were often compared to the ancient Egyptians - with their masters being likened to the Pharaoh. That was one of the problems in the rare instance that one of the slave owners allowed their slaves to become literate, or if they tried to convert them to Christianity.

So Christianity was used both for and against slavery throughout history.

That's all I really know about it though.