PDA

View Full Version : Roger Federer in a slump??

SquatTilYouDrop
08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Roger Federer will lose his #1 ranking to Rafael Nadal this week or next week. Fed took over the top spot in December of 2003 and has never looked back until now.

Surprisingly Federer did not rebound well after his 4 1/2 hour battle against Nadal last month in the Wimbledon final.

Federer lost his 2nd round match in a master series event last week in Montreal against Giles Simon on hard courts. This week he followed it up again by losing in the 3rd round in Cincinnati against Ivo Karlovic which was also played on hard courts. A player who has never beaten him before.

Federer is looking slower and more error prone than ever. He will be seeded #2 at the US open in September but realistically it doesn't look good for him to repeat as champion there again for the 5th year in a row. Too many players sense he is both vulnerable and beatable. This wasn't true in years past. I just hope he's in a slump and not on a spiral downward with his awesome skills diminishing before our eyes. He is too great a champion.

I'll be routing for Federer in the up coming Olympics and the US open. Roger is as gracious in victory as he is in defeat. Let's see if he can turn it around.

PotKettleBlack
08-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah, he's in a slump. Which is fair enough, he's been playing stellar tennis none stop for a very long time, so he was bound to hit a period where he's perhaps not playing his best, and people take a few chances against him to win.

The thing is, you can't ever count him out, and he's not the type of guy to let it get him down too much, so he's obviously going to learn from his mistakes to bounce back. He's still a good choice for US Open champion, since Nadal just hasn't got the game on hard courts that he's always had on clay, and has just learned for grass, and he's really the only one who can truly be said to be on a par with Federer.

SquatTilYouDrop
08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Nadal just hasn't got the game on hard courts that he's always had on clay, and has just learned for grass, and he's really the only one who can truly be said to be on a par with Federer.I would have said that a year ago but not any more. Nadal won a big master series event last week on hard courts and he's on his way to doing it again this week in Cincinnati. Nadal's game has become lethal on hard courts as well. He will be the favorite going into the U.S open without a doubt.

Also... Novak Djokovic can play with Federer on hard courts. He won a master series event earlier this year in Indian Wells. He also beat Federer at the Australian open and made it to the U.S open finals last year where many think he should have won. So, no doubt, Djokovic is a huge threat even to Nadal.

PotKettleBlack
08-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I would have said that a year ago but not any more. Nadal won a big master series event last week on hard courts and he's on his way to doing it again this week in Cincinnati. Nadal's game has become lethal on hard courts as well. He will be the favorite going into the U.S open without a doubt.

Also... Novak Djokovic can play with Federer on hard courts. He won a master series event earlier this year in Indian Wells. He also beat Federer at the Australian open and made it to the U.S open finals last year where many think he should have won. So, no doubt, Djokovic is a huge threat even to Nadal.
What about Andy Murray? Haha. Joking, obviously.

I realise that he's improved on hard courts, but I think he's just hit a purple patch, and I'm not sure how long he can go on playing in the way he is doing. People will soon start to figure out how to counteract his style, because at the moment they just look confused, and bewildered really.

sammy21
08-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Only Federer could get to the semis at the AUS, and the finals at both the French and Wimbledon (and not drop a set at wim til the finals) and be considered in a slump hah...

But seriously I just don't think he takes these lower tier tournaments seriously because he always shows up for the slams.

PotKettleBlack
08-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Only Federer could get to the semis at the AUS, and the finals at both the French and Wimbledon (and not drop a set at wim til the finals) and be considered in a slump hah...

But seriously I just don't think he takes these lower tier tournaments seriously because he always shows up for the slams.
True that. It's just a testament to what an excellent player he is.