PDA

View Full Version : does this quote sum up the argument against....

KennyK
07-26-2008, 12:33 PM
those who think more drilling will solve our energy woes?

"The stone age didn't end because cavemen ran out of stone."

discuss

Mafiafolife77
07-26-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't think any normal person thinks it's gonna "solve" anything. If you listened to anyone with an ounce of intelligence that thinks more domestic drilling is a good thing, the reasons they would probably give you would sound like this:

The only worries most seem to have about more domestic drilling is that it will either take too long to get into the domestic market or most of it will be exported for profit. If those two questions were effectively dealt with, there really is no other reason you can give me to NOT start drilling.

It's a temporary fix. People who support more domestic drilling also (surprise, surprise!) don't believe oil should be used as a long-term energy source. If you're not getting hurt or upset by these high gas prices, then you're definitely in the minority. But the fact of the matter is, 75% of Americans say they want more domestic/offshore drilling.

America doesn't look like it's anywhere close to developing or mass producing another renewable energy source, so it would be stupid NOT to start drilling.

dbthorp
07-26-2008, 12:50 PM
the problem is more drilling will just put off the inevitable for a little longer. The fact that we have such an energy crisis is good as it is finally forcing industries to invest in alternate energy sources which are the future since oil will run out eventually

Rune
07-26-2008, 12:57 PM
"The stone age didn't end because cavemen ran out of stone."

I agree, just like the bronze age didn't end because of a lack of copper and tin, and so on. People are always trying to come up with a new paradigm. We'll be extracting oil for a long time, there's plenty... it's just getting to that point where, we have some better alternatives, and the price to get the oil is starting to get beyond what the market will tolerate. Personally I think the rising prices puts more pressure on us to find the new energy paradigm. I've seen some really promising results on solar technologies in some of the physics journals I read lately, as well as some interesting work in generating more power from waves in the ocean. I personally think it's inevitable we start switching some of our energy needs over to a more distributed production means like this, when combined with newer fuel cell technologies it can help to take some of the strain off the oil market while the world starts to make the shift.