PDA

View Full Version : So let me get this straight...

intoodeep
07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm trying to cut so of course I should not be eating high amount of calories and fatty foods. heres my question: If I still eat foods like chipotle and occasional fast food, but remain under the calorie limit, is it really that bad? I need to take in 3100 calories for maintenance, so for example, today I've had a bowl of cereal (250 calories) chipotle burrito (1100 calories) and some mountain dew (120 calories) all htis adds up to 1470, which is WAY below what I need. I still have to eat dinner, so lets just say if I eat a mcdonalds double cheeseburger with fries, which wont add up to more than 650 calories, the total comes up to just over 2000 calories. How bad is this really?

gekkoboy14
07-24-2008, 04:34 PM
u want to get the most bang for ur buck, a hundred cals of mountain dew isnt equal to 100 cals of protein

Nobby149
07-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Okay, I get your point.

Well, from what I can gather, your body is one big chemical reaction made up of millions of chemical reactions that help you do your day to day things, but also a lot of 'behind the scenes' chemical reactions.

Essentially these chemical reactions need proper nutrition. So, really, eating a balanced diet is crucial.

So, consider that when you are thinking about macdonalds. Without proper nutrition, the reactions can't take place, or will use other chemicals in place.

Really, in a diet you wouldn't include fatty foods unless its very low in carbs, and that you are eating a low carb diet. Even though there are many diets out there that will dictate this, but look back and find out why you got fat in the first place.

Stop and say to yourself "enough is enough", eat healthy with exercise and each day that goes by, just think to yourself "I'm one day closer to my dream body".

Anyway, I would like to know if the chemical part is fact, as I read it on a page from google.

Hope I shown you in the correct path.

scubyfan
07-24-2008, 04:52 PM
A calorie is not a calorie. McDonalds and other fast foods have a high composition of FATS, which you don't want. They are high in calorie but low in good nutrition. It's not about getting x amount of calories regardless of the source. If that were the case, people would be eating 10 McDonalds hamburgers a day and losing weight.

And you gotta cut down on the soda. If you keep going like this I promise you that you will be disappointed.

A cheat meal is "okay" once a week or so, and even that means picking something that's healthy and absolutely NO soda.

Nick Helm
07-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Please do not put garbage in your body. Cook your meals at home so you can be sure of what's in everything. If you eat like that and only watch calories, your muscle will go away and you will become soft (even if you are eating less calories than you need).

Slayerize
07-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Please do not put garbage in your body. Cook your meals at home so you can be sure of what's in everything. If you eat like that and only watch calories, your muscle will go away and you will become soft (even if you are eating less calories than you need).
Right, if your goal is to get cut forget about McDonalds or any sort of fast food.
all Calories aren't created equal eating 2000 Calories of Fastfood and Soda is not the same as eating 2000 of some healthy food (Tuna, Chicken, Eggs, etc).

mpipes
07-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Taking only the protein, carb and fat content of fast food meals into consideration, there's no difference between it and healthier food choices except for the fact fast food is easier to overeat and not as filling as healthier options. Obviously you'd be missing out on healthier fat choices, probably get some unhealthy trans fats with it, miss out on vitamins and minerals from veggies (which you could technically add in or use multivitamins).

Here's an article by Lyle McDonald that talks about this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/NewsletterArchive/june152007.html

sxgt
07-25-2008, 12:19 AM
i lost 9 lbs eating pizza and McDs. Calories are calories.

eat under maintenance and you WILL loose weight , eat the right foods and you will loose FAT

canuhandleit
07-25-2008, 12:23 AM
i lost 9 lbs eating pizza and McDs. Calories are calories.

eat under maintenance and you WILL loose weight , eat the right foods and you will loose FAT

Good point. I'd rep ya but it says I need to spread more rep before reppin you again. lol.

scrummie2
07-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Yes, calories are calories from a weight loss standpoint, but not from a nutrition standpoint. If you are training hard in the gym in addition to cutting cals you need to be efficient with the food you take in. Garbage food from McDs might not make you fat if eat it but stay under maintenance, but as fuel for workouts it is garbage -- too high in saturated fats and simple carbs, not filling enough to sustain you through feelings of wanting to eat more of it.

LoveANurse
07-25-2008, 03:06 AM
yes in the end to sum it all up in terms of weight loss it is about calories in vs calories out. however for sustained weight loss and lean body composition and basic good health your calories should come in the form of quality nutrition.

mridgley
07-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Your problem is right in front of you... STOP eating like crap! It's crap...period.

You will never build a lean muscular body if you continue 'Justifying' your obsession with fast foods.

WOW!

-Aaron-
07-25-2008, 03:36 AM
As long as you meet your protein, efa, vitamin, and fiber requirements, fill your calories in with whatever the hell you want.

crupiea
07-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Dont be too suprised if you dont lose weight at 3100 calories per day. Also, double check those calories in the fast food and the quantities.

Obviously you wont get the best effects by eating fast food.

cbrickhouse
07-25-2008, 06:20 AM
eating fast food, regardless of your calorie levels, should be an occasional thing. they are loaded with sodium, carbs, and fat along with the calories. so if you want to feel bloated for the rest of the day knock yourself out.

mongolbeast
07-25-2008, 06:24 AM
I read some where that trans fat hinders your fat loss, even as little as a gram. I know a double cheeseburger has 1.5 grams of trans fat. Some one correct me if i'm wrong.

KikoCy
07-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Alright because some posters are contradicting each other in here..
Lemme get this straight. The end result doesn't matter, its how you get there (calorie wise) by eating healthily or it doesnt matter as long as you're in a caloric deficit?

cbrickhouse
07-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Lemme get this straight. The end result doesn't matter, its how you get there (calorie wise) by eating healthily or it doesnt matter as long as you're in a caloric deficit?
i would rather get where i want to be by eating healthy 85% of the time. overall, you will feel better. who cares about the deficit you have. to me, it's how you do it... not just getting it done

-Aaron-
07-25-2008, 08:29 AM
eating fast food, regardless of your calorie levels, should be an occasional thing. they are loaded with sodium, carbs, and fat along with the calories. so if you want to feel bloated for the rest of the day knock yourself out.

Carbs, yes even sugar, doesn't make you fat.

Lift062406
07-25-2008, 09:05 AM

You have to look at protein, trans fat, carbs, sodium...not just calories. If you eat just trans fat and bad carbs you will lose muscle and gain fat.

-Aaron-
07-25-2008, 09:10 AM
You have to look at protein, trans fat, carbs, sodium...not just calories. If you eat just trans fat and bad carbs you will lose muscle and gain fat.

Broscience again?

If you are in a deficit, you WILL NOT gain fat.

Lift062406
07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Broscience again?

Not exactly, there was a time when I was eating McDonalds for breakfast and lunch and was below my maintenance and I got fat...sorry, but that's a fact.

ETA: no age no pic no body stats???

-Aaron-
07-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Not exactly, there was a time when I was eating McDonalds for breakfast and lunch and was below my maintenance and I got fat...sorry, but that's a fact.

ETA: no age no pic???

Bah, I can make baseless claims like that on a message board. You say it's a fact, science says you're wrong.

Either you miscalculated your calorie intake, you're wrong, you're lying, or just trying to prove something.

Also, what the hell does my lack of age, picture, or body stats have to do with the validity of my content?

churn
07-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Broscience again?

absolute statements are generally wrong

lets say maintenance is 2000 calories

are you saying if i ate only one meal 1900 calories in potato chips right before i went to bed every night and only that.... i won't get fat?

im pretty sure that my metabolic rate would cause me to burn muscle during the day and pack on fat at night

-Aaron-
07-25-2008, 09:20 AM
are you saying if i ate only one meal 1900 calories in potato chips right before i went to bed every night and only that.... i won't get fat?

Will, not exactly. I'm currently doing a study where adequate protein, efa's, vitamins, and fiber are given to two groups but the calories remaining are either of the 'healthy' variety dictated by the food pyramid, the other is 'unhealthy' so to speak.

As for your initial question, no you won't gain bodyfat in a friggin deficit.