PDA

View Full Version : losing bf / cardio (need reassurance)

rhb
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
im 6'0.5" & about 200 lbs (give or take) and according to my digital scale, it claims im 20 to 23% bf...and id like to get my bf below 10%...so ive been doing cardio everyday for at least 30 mins (to like 60 mins sometimes), and it's usually a mix between jogging/brisk walking on the treadmill, stationary bike and jump rope...ive been doing the cardio during the day inbetween meals....never in the morning when i first wake up...and im wondering if it makes any difference what time of the day to do the cardio and what foods to avoid BEFORE cardio...and what foods are best to eat after cardio. I just want to be sure im on the right track, or if i should lower the cardio time with higher intensity or what... my diet is quite clean, and i eat usually every 2 to 3 hours (about 5 or 6 meals a day). i will drink ON whey for a meal once or twice a day (as a meal 30 mins before bed or/and post workout). i also drink lots of bottle water...and i drink the most water while im eating because it helps me get the food down as i really don't like the taste of most of these foods.

these are the foods i eat,

meat (im not touching red meat, and nothing fried or battered)
skinless boneless chicken breats
tuna (canned) / salmon / tilapia
turkey (to make sandwiches on the whole grain)

oats
egg whites (boiled)
whole grain bread (only)
fruits (grapes, bananas, apples, berries, etc)
veggies (lots of em)
brown rice
beans (kidney, and pinto) and i'll add some salsa or relish for taste
nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc) usually will snack on these when im not home and can't cook/eat at the very moment i need to eat, etc. they just hold me over until im able to eat a proper meal.

will occasionally drink green tea, but not that often.

also im on a three day split workout...trying gain lean mass of course...

soo...any critiques / encouragement is appreciated. cheers!

RU4A69
07-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Cardio is NOT the answer.

I want you to consider, just consider, lowering your carbs to around 50-120gms and upping your fat by including more RED MEAT, butter, and eggs in your diet.

You mentioned you don't like the taste of those foods. That proves your still a man. You don't have to eat that cardboard tasting crap to lose fat.

Just consider...

rhb
07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I wasn't expecting that.

I honestly don't know what my daily carb intake is...but all my carbs come from the foods I listed above (obviously). I haven't been real concern with taking in "too many" carbs...but perhaps I will reconsider tracking my daily carbs to try and get an idea how many I'm getting... thou, I doubt it's over 200, but I'm just guessing. I decided to not touch red meat because it's harder to find LEAN red meat and I've heard it's not that good for you anyways...so I was going to try and stay away as possible.

Brashanic
07-22-2008, 04:42 PM
lower carbs higher protien don't worry too much about fat. if your gonna do cardio first thing in am on empty stomach is best for cuttin. general maintenence cardio is best right after workout. in am i drink whey protien mix with gatorade right after cardio and eat shortly after that. usually chicken, eggs,brown rice with jalepenoes. gets kinda old but it works.

Nara62629
07-22-2008, 04:49 PM
are you logging your diet? i mean in the end its still cal in vs. cal out. your diet is clean, but still, count those calories.

chevy72blu
07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Check out fitday.com. It lets you log everything you eat and uses that to get you pretty close to how many calories you are eating each day, and a pie graph showing where they come from. You dont need to log every day, but I did for about the first week of getting my diet in check. I now no longer need to. Dont get OCD about it- its not extremely accurate anyway.

Is there anyway you can get access to some weights? Cardio is great (for losing weight [muscle included]), but weightlifiting is the key (for looking better) IMO. Read up on pre and post workout nutrition.

As far as what/when to do it, its all up to you. When I feel like it (2-5 times a week), I get up and do fasted cardio for about 30-45 minutes walking on a tread mill (14% incline, 3.0 mph). 2-4 times a week I swim laps for about 45 minutes (GREAT exercise)- I was a competitive swimmer in HS and it got me in great shape. After lifting, I usually run at about 6.5/rest when I need to for about 20-30 minutes.

Stay dedicated every day (reward yourself with a cheat once a week). Hit the weights, get your cardio in, and most importantly EAT RIGHT. I suggest taking a before pic (now) and taking one in the same pose and same place every 2 weeks. You'll see results, I promise.

Stay away from crazy fat burners and other non-sense. Get a good whey protein powder (walmart will do just fine @13 bucks), and a multivitamin.

Danzig747
07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
so if I went to the track in the morning I shouldnt eat breakfast beforehand?

Brashanic
07-22-2008, 05:07 PM
so if I went to the track in the morning I shouldnt eat breakfast beforehand?

if you cutting studies show that cardio on an empty stomach is best if you can do it.

JBU2010
07-22-2008, 05:09 PM
if you cutting studies show that cardio on an empty stomach is best if you can do it.

x2...Just make sure you hydrate before, during, and after.

Danzig747
07-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I never tried doing cardio in the morning before work....but I would like to see if I like it. What would you suggest?

I have to lose about 50lbs

Brashanic
07-22-2008, 05:14 PM
I never tried doing cardio in the morning before work....but I would like to see if I like it. What would you suggest?

I have to lose about 50lbs

if your going outdoor i would warm up with a mile then do 30 sceond sprints with a 30 second med pace rest for a total of 20 min.

crazymutha
07-22-2008, 05:15 PM
I want you to consider, just consider, lowering your carbs to around 50-120gms and upping your fat by including more RED MEAT, butter, and eggs in your diet...Just consider...

Another great post by RU4A69 (serious)

rhb
07-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Check out fitday.com. It lets you log everything you eat and uses that to get you pretty close to how many calories you are eating each day, and a pie graph showing where they come from. You dont need to log every day, but I did for about the first week of getting my diet in check. I now no longer need to. Dont get OCD about it- its not extremely accurate anyway.

Is there anyway you can get access to some weights? Cardio is great (for losing weight [muscle included]), but weightlifiting is the key (for looking better) IMO. Read up on pre and post workout nutrition.

As far as what/when to do it, its all up to you. When I feel like it (2-5 times a week), I get up and do fasted cardio for about 30-45 minutes walking on a tread mill (14% incline, 3.0 mph). 2-4 times a week I swim laps for about 45 minutes (GREAT exercise)- I was a competitive swimmer in HS and it got me in great shape. After lifting, I usually run at about 6.5/rest when I need to for about 20-30 minutes.

Stay dedicated every day (reward yourself with a cheat once a week). Hit the weights, get your cardio in, and most importantly EAT RIGHT. I suggest taking a before pic (now) and taking one in the same pose and same place every 2 weeks. You'll see results, I promise.

Stay away from crazy fat burners and other non-sense. Get a good whey protein powder (walmart will do just fine @13 bucks), and a multivitamin.

Yeah....like I said, I'm on three day split lifting....and I hate that body fortress whey from walmart, it's disgusting!
I prefer ON whey. :)

I attached a body photo that I took earlier this month.

rhb
07-25-2008, 10:08 AM
im currently reading a couple books...Body For Life & Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle....and im thinking about adding some more foods to my diet, like lean ground beef for example, and including a "cheat day" in the week. also, wondering if doing cardio everyday really is necessary to lose the bf...and if high intensity cardio would be more effective. like instead of doing 30-60 mins of low intensity cardio, do 15-20 mins of higher intensity. i don't mind doing cardio every day, just as long as it's beneficial.