PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Teen

Flobot05
07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey community, I'm currently 6' tall and weigh about 283-284 at 18 yrs of age. I do cardio a steady 3-4 times a week, and do a bit of weighlifting as well. I pretty much watch everything that I eat, but I still feel I'm doing something wrong, exercise-wise and diet-wise.

Exercise-wise: I don't have a set workout, so I usually go into the gym and decide what to do on the spot. I usually will do either 45 minutes of cardio, or weight lift (whatever I have in mind) and about 20-30 minutes of cardio. I was wondering if anyone had any set workouts they could recommend to me on how to lose much of my fat, but still build some muscle in the meantime.

Diet-wise: I don't drink sodas, I don't drink juice, I just drink water. I don't snack throughout the day, but after going through some threads I noticed the recommendation of 6 "meals" per day. Anyone have any recommendations for these meals because I don't want to overeat these 6 meals and end up being counterproductive. I currently take Fish Oil and Flaxseed Oil 3x a day with each meal and chromium picolinate (500mcg) one time in the morning...all with meals. I want to know if anyone has any supplements, protein shakes/bars that they could recommend that don't only work to gain muscle, but also promote fat loss. If anyone also has any small tips that could pay off in the long run, go ahead and leave 'em for me. Once again, I truly watch what I eat, but I currently do the 3 meals a day program, but I don't eat up every meal, I portion control them.

Thank you very much for taking your time to read this. I appreciate it. Take care.

pats55583
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
What type of cardio do you do? I would recommend 30-45 minutes of either running (walk/run for 30-45 min if you can't run the whole time) or 30-45 minutes on the elliptical 3 times a week, and interval workouts (sprint/walk) twice a week for 20 minutes. I would do full body workout with weights 3 times a week as well.

As for diet, you gotta count your calories consumed. And shoot for a 500 calorie deficit.

Flobot05
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I do the Cross Training for 45 minutes ("mountain") on the elliptical with a good amount of resistance (9-10).

As for the interval workouts, could I use a treadmill for that?

and could you recommend a good full body workout with weights?

Thanks for the quick response.