PDA

View Full Version : Cyclical Ketogenic Diets (Carb Cycling) - Comments & Suggestions

phuz
07-09-2008, 10:15 AM
I am fairly new to the ketogenic diet, and I am on the fence about it. It has its obvious positives, as I have noticeably shed pounds of body fat, but I find that it is taking away energy from my workouts. I am not sure if this is because I am still in the preliminary stages of the diet.

The wall that I usually hit during my workouts at 70-80 minutes, is now happening after 15 minutes. My muscles get shaky and I just can't stay focused with that going on.

I am not sure if I need to up my fat intake to get more energy, or if my body will eventually make the transition, but I can't function in the gym at this rate.

For breakfast, I drink 5-6 whole eggs, eat ~5 pieces of turkey bacon, and will have ~3 turkey sausages. Throughout the day, I will have chicken, ground turkey, beef, cheese. I will have a 40g protein shake after I get home from the gym.

As I said, I like the diet for its ability to shed body fat % at a fairly rapid rate, but is the ketogenic dieter able to still have aggressive workouts?

Autino
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I am a big fan of the Keto Diets.
CKD is awesome!
Great way to burn through some fat and hold on to some muscle.

For me, I did notice that my workouts did suffer though.
On my own, even with caffeen, creatine and all the supplements that are suggested, the longest I stay in the gym for was about 20-25 minutes.

With a partner or trainer I would stay longer, but man.
There were a few times when my trainer sent me home early (45 minutes as opposed to 60 minutes) becuase my blood sugar levels droipped so low, I turned white/greenish and was nearly passed out. Like a diabetic with low levels. Couldn't even talk or walk or anything...
After that I turned to a TKD, and was able to stay in the gym longer.
Now I am back on a 40/40/20 diet while I bulk up some.

Always a fan of the Keto though. Great food!
Only takes about 5 days for me to get used to eating the fat and really came to enjoy it, and actually dread eating carbs..

Sound like you are still holding on to the ideals of a regular diet while trying to go with the Keto in some aspects.

1. drop all the turkey bacon for real pork bacon
2. Drop the turkey sausage for beef or pork sausage
3. make sure your ground beef is the highest fat content you can get.
4. add olive oil to everything you eat
5. mega dose fish oil
6. shots of heavy whipping cream help with energy and fat uptake

Seems to me like you need to dive in to the fat head first and get adjusted as fast as possible..
Those are all assumptions on my part though..

good luck!

phuz
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I had no idea what the TKD was until I just read about it briefly. That sounds like what I need, and will give it a shot, starting today. I just want to use a ketogenic diet for the next 3 1/2 weeks until I go back to the beach. My BF is about 14% and I was hoping for 10% by that point, which I know is a stretch, but its a goal.

Thanks for the insight!

Autino
07-09-2008, 10:45 AM
If you want to lose the most amount of fat in the least amount of time, you will want to avoid all carbs for the next 3 weeks.
TKD is great for energy in the gym, but the least deiserable option for fat loss.
You will lose fat, but not as fat as ckd.
My suggestion.
No carbs, at all for 3 weeks,
Crank up your cardio to twice a day, 45 minutes per session.
1.5 gallons of water per day minimum.

Then do a deplition workout and carb up before you hit the beach..

That will give you the best chances for getting where you want to be...
10% is a very lofty goal though

phuz
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks, I'll give it hell and see how it works. The only problem is my company has a beach trip this weekend, so Friday and Saturday nights are pretty much glutten fests (:D), so that will be one hurdle over the next 3 weeks.

I added you to my BS friends so I will keep you in the progress loop!

Paumen
07-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I use carb cycling as well, but I only use carbs and proteins. I get trace amounts of fats from my meats.

Get cut so much easier without the added fats, ah lol these keto people..

phuz
07-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I use carb cycling as well, but I only use carbs and proteins. I get trace amounts of fats from my meats.

Get cut so much easier without the added fats, ah lol these keto people..

Thanks for the input, but given your negative reps and the fact that I have never heard of cutting with carb-protein only, I will nix that idea ;)

Paumen
07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the input, but given your negative reps and the fact that I have never heard of cutting with carb-protein only, I will nix that idea ;)

Hey I was just throwing it out there for ya bra, some of the smartest people on this site are in the red....I won't say names but people are way 2 sensitive these days they hate hearing the truth.

phuz
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey I was just throwing it out there for ya bra, some of the smartest people on this site are in the red....I won't say names but people are way 2 sensitive these days they hate hearing the truth.

It sounded like you were knocking the keto diet, and I gotta be honest 'bra', you are the very first person that I have ever heard knock it. I'm open to new stuff, but in case you missed my MOS from this thread, I am trying to get pointers on the keto diet, not nay-sayers.

Thanks for the shout though!

94Sip
07-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm doing CKD right now. Mix in some oils, such as almond, walnut, pumpkin and coconut with your protein shakes. These are extremely healthy fats. Don't do this with your post-workout shake though.

I just got back from vacation in Hawaii and the above advice is right on - restrict carbs and then do a carb up when you get on vacation. I would eat a mango in the mornings with breakfast and my abs would just pop out perfectly all day at the beach. Don't go crazy on carbs while on vacation.

But overall, yeah your workouts cannot be as intense. You have to remember to sync your workout goals with your body composition goals. Most on CKD do a carbup over the weekend and then their first 2 workouts in the next week are pretty good - something like chest/back and legs.