PDA

View Full Version : What to eat before 6am lift

hurdle68612
07-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Due to my job, I've decided i need to start working out at 6am. I was plannin on eating 2 cups of oatmeal at 5:15am (before i lift) and then eating another cup of oatmeal and 4eggs with cheese and a banana after my lift. Just wanted to get some critique or suggestions as this will be my first experience with lifting first thing in the morning. thanks

Fifty+
07-06-2008, 08:49 AM
A couple of years ago I went from working out at 5pm to 5:30 am and found it hard to eat anything at that time. On my very first attempt at breakfast I tried to make some ground round with scrambled eggs. The smell of the ground round make me sick and I didn't workout that morning. Thought I would stick to simplicity after that. I started with 1/2 packet of Met-rx and 20 grams of oats tossed in. After a few weeks I finally found it a little easier to eat at 5am. Wound up with 20gr. oats, 1/4 cup raisins and 8 oz. n/f milk. There are still times I only eat 1 piece Ezekiel bread, 2 tsp. peanut butter and the milk...Good luck.

oldfart

Holyspokes
07-06-2008, 08:53 AM
i usually wake up starving, even with a hefty pre-bed meal. So i usually have a good mix of everything, 1cup oats,2eggs,1/2c egg whites, & fruit (either an orange or a cup of blueberries). About an hour later i workout. 2 cups of oats would probably bother me, but i'm also way smaller than you. I would throw in a little bit of protein though.

tinyman5000
07-06-2008, 08:57 AM
eat a balanced meal fairly high in carbs before you hit the sack (like 50-60) then as much as i hate to say it some kind of HMW carbs and whey protein when you wake up

xXBoStErXx
07-06-2008, 08:59 AM
In the morning to quickly stop catabolism I suggest taking a banana, its better to fill stores than other forms of carbohydrate, i forget the article but it was comparing it to oatmeal, and banana was better. So maybe a banana and some oatmeal lol

BuckSpin
07-06-2008, 09:01 AM
I eat, to me, a HUGE breakfast - almost 900 cal from a variety of sources like steel cut oats, grapefruit, eggs, yogurt, berries, nuts, whey protein - around 5am (I'm up @ 4 & cooking) and I'm lifting or doing a core workout around 6.

I don't understand how people can come out of a 8 hour fast (sleep), toss down a few oats or a shake/etc, and then with an hour go put their bodies right back into a catabolic state. Its like having a gun and only putting 1 or 2 rounds in the chamber. Reload all the way & let that fuel your workout.

SB_Stong
07-06-2008, 09:10 AM
I just recently changed my work outs to work out before work starts at 8 AM. Working out early in the morning has really helped me perform better at work too. This is what I do for my cut. It seems like the pre-workout meal doesn't vary much since many people don't eat a big meal for an early workout.

This is my process:

Before I go to bed: Have gym and work clothes laid out for the morning.

5:45 AM: Wake up and down 1 cup of skim milk mixed with 1 scoop of whey and a half-cup of oates.

6:00-6:10 AM: Cardio to wake myself up!

6:10-7:10 AM: Lift
Down scoop of whey+dextrose and water immediately after workout is finished.

7:10-7:30 AM: Shower and get dressed for work at the gym.

7:50 AM- Eat a quarter pound of chicken and have some brown rice. (I'll usually just scarf this meal down in my truck cold before I walk into work).

8:00 AM- 10 PM: Enjoy the rest of your day!

It would have been impossible for me to do as a college student, but as a young professional, it works out great.

Sixpack
07-06-2008, 09:17 AM
For me I cannot eat a ton in the moring I lift at 4am, I take a scoop of whey pre-lifting then sip on BCAA's during my workout, get home and have a normal breakfast

hurdle68612
07-06-2008, 09:25 AM
First off thanks for all the help. I see a lot of you are recommending protein in the morning before my lift and was wondering why?
Just wondering cuz while I've been an athlete most of my life, I'm alright with the cardio and lifting but when it comes to diet part of it, thats where things get fuzzy for me. I've always been led to think that protein is more important after a lift than before (carbs fuels the workout/ protein helps muscles recover and grow), but again i have never decided to lift first thing in the morning so maybe that is part of the reason for your suggestions.

SB_Stong
07-06-2008, 09:58 AM
First off thanks for all the help. I see a lot of you are recommending protein in the morning before my lift and was wondering why?
Just wondering cuz while I've been an athlete most of my life, I'm alright with the cardio and lifting but when it comes to diet part of it, thats where things get fuzzy for me. I've always been led to think that protein is more important after a lift than before (carbs fuels the workout/ protein helps muscles recover and grow), but again i have never decided to lift first thing in the morning so maybe that is part of the reason for your suggestions.

From what I understand, if you go straight to the gym after waking up, any carbs or fats do not have enough time to digest to benefit your workout.

Perhaps someone with more experience can shine some light on the subject?

neonbengal
07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Have a protein shake and a yogurt or apple, just so you dont have an empty stomach. Whey protein gets into your system quickly so it can help your muscles

eat the oatmeal and stuff after

The reason why poeple usually have a protein shake after is becaus ethey workout at a later time and most lkely have already eaten something. Whey protein is used to avoid muscle catabolism. but if its 5am and you havent had any food for the day the protein shake at that time pre-workout is good.

Sixpack
07-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I was also an athlete and know what you are saying, I do my cardio on an empty stomach but I don't lift on one. I try to split up cardio and lifting if I can , if not I do my cardio first with a shake in me then lift, I sip on BCAA's during workout, it may not be optimal but its what i have to do , do to my schedule

hurdle68612
07-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Have a protein shake and a yogurt or apple, just so you dont have an empty stomach. Whey protein gets into your system quickly so it can help your muscles

eat the oatmeal and stuff after

The reason why poeple usually have a protein shake after is becaus ethey workout at a later time and most lkely have already eaten something. Whey protein is used to avoid muscle catabolism. but if its 5am and you havent had any food for the day the protein shake at that time pre-workout is good.

I prefer to get my nutrients and calories from food sources and not supplements. Nothing against them, but I have never used protein powders or supplements and don't plan on it

longsnapper50
07-06-2008, 11:37 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109002351

havent tried it but looks really good. and maby add some bcaa's for intra workout.

TheWaffleIron
07-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I prefer to get my nutrients and calories from food sources and not supplements. Nothing against them, but I have never used protein powders or supplements and don't plan on it

dont count out BCAAs

hurdle68612
07-06-2008, 12:09 PM
dont count out BCAAs

can't i get BCAAs from dairy products?

TheWaffleIron
07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
can't i get BCAAs from dairy products?

any protein source will have them. milk is very good source. but supplementation would work in your case, if you dont have time to eat a full meal in the morning.