PDA

View Full Version : New job, can't eat enough during the day, any suggestions?

ChaseB
07-06-2008, 07:18 AM
I've just switched jobs and because of the hours and nature of work, I can't eat for sometimes 10 hours. Normally I eat every 2 hours. I'm afraid this will be detrimental because I'm a hard gainer. Thinking of taking protein bars with me and just sneaking them every couple of hours. Definitely won't be able to have my shakes anymore.

Any other suggestions? What are your favorite protein bars? I'm looking for high protein, but low sugar.

Thanks!

SheWulf
07-06-2008, 07:29 AM
What kind of a job is it? I worked sales for a while, and sometimes had 12 hour days. I had peanuts nearby to munch on, plus they're calorie dense. Nuts are good if you can work that out.

I also would go off to the bathroom and down a shake or something, as gross as that sounds.

MattyH7688
07-06-2008, 07:33 AM
quit

RippedFibers
07-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Make a homeade bar and sneak it, many recipes on these forums. Checkout Draco's! BTW what kind of job is this!?!?!

SDC77
07-06-2008, 07:45 AM
You don't need to eat every 2-3 hours. Surely you have a break during that time. Take a protein bar or something and scarf it down. No need to sweat the small stuff.

-Aaron-
07-06-2008, 07:47 AM
lol

If a job stops me from eating, it's time to call the BBB and sue. :D

MrCarrot
07-06-2008, 07:53 AM
I honestly think in the space of 10 hours you will need more than a protein bar.

Sixpack
07-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Prepare ahead of time,

Fifty+
07-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Prepare ahead of time,

Hey Sixer, good to see you're still around. Hope you're doing well.

oldfart

Abel2Caine
07-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I actually have the same problem when I started work (yes I'm 16, but I work 9-10 hour days) this summer.

I have a few suggestions:
- make energy bars, they're great especially on the go
- bring a lunchbox XD and pack all your stuff in tupperware

With your schedule, which is similar to mine, I would plan ahead like someone above said and prepare my breakfast, lunch, and all meals beforehand.

mcdbb
07-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Labor laws require you to have at least 30 minutes for a "lunch" break and a 15-minute break every four hours, if I'm not mistaken.

Of course, there are laws, and then what actually happens...just the same, there is really no need to obsess over eating every 2-3 hours. Small snacks (nuts, etc.) interspersed with full meals will get the job done fine.

Oh, and protein shakes or bars won't really do you an iota of good in this "have a shake every two hours" line of thought. This idea that a couple scoops of protein somehow substitutes for a meal is ridiculous.

fourskinsoi
07-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

quit

Sixpack
07-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Damn man where you been?

Hey Sixer, good to see you're still around. Hope you're doing well.

oldfart

BuckSpin
07-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry, but if it would actually get you disciplined or terminated that is BIG time illegal. There is NO JOB that forces you to go without a break or a meal for 10 hours and is legit.

That said, just prepare ahead. Lotsa ways to eat right, on schedule and out & about.

Weighted_Soul
07-06-2008, 11:53 AM
If you want to get big or get in shape you need to remove can't out of vocabulary.

soundcheck129
07-06-2008, 12:46 PM
If you want to get big or get in shape you need to remove can't out of vocabulary.

Truth. I feel you though OP, I've had trouble with this. You can either have bigger meals when you're out of work, mix up some sort of shake, or duck into the bathroom and pound something. You could also make the bread/muffins in my signature, I keep a couple in my pocket at work and no one looks at you funny for eating a muffin like they would if you were spooning tuna out of a can at work.

gumbyonroids
07-06-2008, 01:11 PM
In most places, by law, your employer is required to allow you time to at least have a lunch.

I would check into the State labor laws where you reside.

Frannycakes
07-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Maybe he's in the military?

thauncle
07-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I've just switched jobs and because of the hours and nature of work, I can't eat for sometimes 10 hours. Normally I eat every 2 hours. I'm afraid this will be detrimental because I'm a hard gainer. Thinking of taking protein bars with me and just sneaking them every couple of hours. Definitely won't be able to have my shakes anymore.

Any other suggestions? What are your favorite protein bars? I'm looking for high protein, but low sugar.

Thanks!

wha kinda work do u do?

nferra2
07-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I have seen alot of restaurants that do not allow breaks or lunches, even some that don't allow breaks between double shifts. I don't know how they get away with it.

ChaseB
07-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Haha, quit, I like that! I snacked on nuts, Omega peanut butter and a protein bar all afternoon, then had tuna and chicken for dinner, I'll be fine.

Thanks for the suggestions!

AegisFang
07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
blend up protein, raw oatmeal and berries. take them with you. I bet you can bring a thermos-type-bag that will stay cold with you right? those shakes will be like 400 cals easy to do.

ChaseB
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
blend up protein, raw oatmeal and berries. take them with you. I bet you can bring a thermos-type-bag that will stay cold with you right? those shakes will be like 400 cals easy to do.

Nice one!

TallKyle13
07-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I can understand your situation man. I don't work 10 hour days, but on average I work 5-6 hour shifts and I can't eat at all during that time.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is eat really good before you go in to work and right after you get out, and if there is any possible way try to eat little snacks during the day (you might be able to, and if you can consider yourself lucky).

Honestly, you will gain slower but if its any kind of physical work it will help keep the fat off.

I can sympathize with you my friend. Some of us actually have to work in this world to make it.

BlueFenix13S
07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Maybe he's in the military?

:D

For me, I don't worry about it. If I miss a meal, I just eat a little more later to make up for it. I think the "going catabolic" stuff is overblown and eating every 2-3 hours is NOT necessary unless you are competing or need to get in ridiculous amounts of calories (like Matty ;)).

My job > a protein shake. That is my opinion, and I don't really care if I get flamed for it.

Sibrek
07-08-2008, 12:01 PM
:D

For me, I don't worry about it. If I miss a meal, I just eat a little more later to make up for it. I think the "going catabolic" stuff is overblown and eating every 2-3 hours is NOT necessary unless you are competing or need to get in ridiculous amounts of calories (like Matty ;)).

My job > a protein shake. That is my opinion, and I don't really care if I get flamed for it.

Overblown? It's completely false. Ur body doesn't start eating away at muscle, almost ever

and op, either eat more before/after or find a way to eat during. its not that complicated