PDA

View Full Version : Old School Bodybuilders only ate 3 times a day

CrazyG323
07-03-2008, 05:42 AM
I was just thinking about "6 small meals a day" while watching videos of old school bodybuilders. For example in pumping iron you see arnold and friends eat HUGE meals which I am assuming were only 3 times a day.

Also this video from the legend shows he eats 3 times a day and he was in great shape. Now notice when he talks about eating food everything is healthy food. Not eating junk 3 times a day but actual healthy food. I think I am going to try a little experiment with this, just for myself. I have cut 20 pounds before doing the 6 meals now I will try 3 meals and see what happens.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VuW3RfWJ1H0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VuW3RfWJ1H0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bobbybuilder1
07-03-2008, 05:49 AM
A wonderful balanced meal which contains next to no fat.... Need I say anymore.

CrazyG323
07-03-2008, 05:53 AM
also in arnolds encyclopedia in the nutrition section for body builders his example meal plan is 3 meals a day

lorinelise
07-03-2008, 05:54 AM
also in arnolds encyclopedia in the nutrition section for body builders his example meal plan is 3 meals a day

What's the copyright date on that book? Bodybuilding has progressed, my friend. ;)

antish
07-03-2008, 05:58 AM
hey i love your hair.;)

CrazyG323
07-03-2008, 06:02 AM
What's the copyright date on that book? Bodybuilding has progressed, my friend. ;)

yeah but if they ate 3 meals a day back then and still managed to make those great gains

ChrisTurk
07-03-2008, 06:05 AM
It really doesent matter all that much how many meals a day you eat. Having said that I tend to eat 5 or 6. Of most importance is the amount of calories per day. Personally I struggle without food immediately before and after my workout, I tend not to be able to have the same intensity.

lorinelise
07-03-2008, 06:35 AM
yeah but if they ate 3 meals a day back then and still managed to make those great gains

I'm sure it's possible, as long as your 3 meals combined are just as high in calories as your 5 or 6 would be all together. Calories are calories, after all!

Jules Verne
07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
check out Lane Norton's latest findings. It may be better for protein synthesis to eat larger meals 4 hours apart with at least 3-4g of leucine than 'drip feeding' protein.

Addicted2Iron
07-03-2008, 06:53 AM
awesome find with that video

qdiddy69
07-03-2008, 07:13 AM
im sure if you took roids u could get good gains on 1 meal aday

STLbuilder
07-03-2008, 07:14 AM
in the arnold encyclopedia they ate three meals a day, but he tells you to take protein shakes in between meals. making 5-6 meals/day

GForce78NJ
07-03-2008, 08:17 AM
arnold was smalllllll

Marius_Ursus
07-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Couple of random thoughts...

Steroids...

Health vs. looking "good'...

I'm just sayin'.

bobbybuilder1
07-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Couple of random thoughts...

Steroids...

Health vs. looking "good'...

I'm just sayin'.

Couple more, cals in VS cals out.... If you eat more than your expending you will make gains.

rpaul11
07-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Couple more, cals in VS cals out.... If you eat more than your expending you will make gains.

then in theory let's just eat one big meal before bed and save time?

daYDreAmErX
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I prefer eating 3 normal 'large' meals and having a PWO shake on weight lifting days. It's working pretty well for me and I always eat full and satisfied :)

It's just a matter of personal preference IMO - as long as your needs are cover I don't see why it's a problem to eat 3 meals instead of 6-7. I usually eat more frequently when I'm bulking but it's only because I can be hard to stomach that much food in one sitting and I prefer to split things up.

bobbybuilder1
07-03-2008, 08:48 AM
then in theory let's just eat one big meal before bed and save time?

Well, in theory if your cals in VS cals out are more than your expending then you will gain, however what gains you make i.e. fat or muscle will be heavily dictated by many factors, some of which include protein intake, protein synthesis and metabolism. And personally I don't believe it would make a slight bit of difference if you eat 3 or 6 meals a day so long as you are hitting your calories and macro's for the day. However saying that, we both know 1 meal a day won't cut it because you will be unable to digest the sheer amount of protein you consume within this time and when it comes down to eating 3,000-4,000 calories in one sitting, that would be very hard.

d2bstud69
07-03-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark75.htm

There it is, straight from a popular Bodybuilding.com author. She probably got a slap on the wrist for writing it because its almost as taboo as saying you do not need "1 g protein/lb."

Fozzy13
07-03-2008, 09:09 AM
3 vs. 6 meals wont make much of a difference. The only big factor in eating 6 meals a day would be allowing you to get all those calories in a day without stuffing yourself.

rainieravesouth
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
3 vs. 6 meals wont make much of a difference. The only big factor in eating 6 meals a day would be allowing you to get all those calories in a day without stuffing yourself.

agree 100%.

bestman1
07-03-2008, 09:18 AM
u can eat 1 meal that contains your daily quantity

Captain Sagara
07-03-2008, 09:19 AM

Old-School bodybuilders also used to took a ****load of Dbol,Deca and Winny per day...

Elliptical Envy
07-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Ehhhhhh....go ahead and eat three times per day :confused:

rpaul11
07-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Well, in theory if your cals in VS cals out are more than your expending then you will gain, however what gains you make i.e. fat or muscle will be heavily dictated by many factors, some of which include protein intake, protein synthesis and metabolism. And personally I don't believe it would make a slight bit of difference if you eat 3 or 6 meals a day so long as you are hitting your calories and macro's for the day. However saying that, we both know 1 meal a day won't cut it because you will be unable to digest the sheer amount of protein you consume within this time and when it comes down to eating 3,000-4,000 calories in one sitting, that would be very hard.

I agree that one won't cut it...but if you are taking in near 300 g protein a day...over only 3 meals...I'm not sure your body can handle that load either and get the full benefit :)

MattyH7688
07-03-2008, 09:34 AM
jack lalane is skinny as **** and wears padding where is shoulders are

go ahead listen to him

KappaRaiders
07-04-2008, 11:26 PM
i can see how many small meals is better, but i straight up do not have time for it. ive made great gains on 3 meals a day, one semester it was two meals a day.

full time student and working, i don't have time to be making small meals all the time.

jman14
07-04-2008, 11:36 PM
everyone says "5-6 small meals a day", but why does no one say "5-6 medium or large meals a day"?

MarkVI
07-04-2008, 11:48 PM

go ahead listen to him

and his diet is for middle ages women who don't get out of the house.

he sure is healthy and old though.

jonwilson
07-04-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2008/05/29/5_meals_a_day_does_not_help_weight_loss.php

5 Meals a Day Does Not Help Weight Loss
by Mike Howard

Say it ain't so! The accepted conventional wisdom of eating several smaller meals throughout the day to shed pounds is being challenged at almost every turn. A recent article has gone so far as calling extra meals a "faddish dieting trend" (gasps in horror).

The study cited in the article took 179 obese men and women who were on the same weight loss diets with the same caloric intake with different eating patterns. One group ate 3 times a day while the other ate 3 meals + 3 snacks. No difference was found between the groups in terms of weight, girth measurement, body fatness or blood sugar levels.

The results are consistent with a compilation of similar studies that showed little to no difference between snackers and non-snackers.

"We found it's not when you eat that matters, but what and how much you eat". Says Michelle Palmer, a dietician at the University of Newcastle.

The Theory Behind Snacking
The rationale for eating more often is to boost metabolism and/or help contribute to lower caloric intake. In theory, eating stimulates the thermic effect of food, which should elevate metabolism. Further, aren't we helping curb binges brought on by long stretches without food?

The research does not appear to support such theories and if it is does, it isn't enough to translate into weight loss.

Snacking Can Help or Hinder
Like any other aspect of eating, snacking is highly individual. Making sure you eat a healthy balanced diet is the first line of defense against excess fat. It comes down to hunger cues. If you aren't hungry between meals then don't eat, if you are, grab a healthy snack.

Successful snacking needs to be strategic, healthy and planned for. For people always on the go, sit-down meals are not always in the cards. For these people, snacking is crucial to healthy eating. Also, I often encounter those who eat voraciously at dinner because they essentially don't eat from about noon until after 6. For these people, a mid-afternoon snack is warranted.

Also, look at what you're doing now. If it isn't working, try something different. If you are eating 2-3 times per day - try eating 3-4. If you are prone to excess snacking, try cutting back.

Eat when you are hungry, eat healthily and don't eat too much. The rest will take care of itself.

enough said

Captain Sagara
07-05-2008, 12:45 AM
everyone says "5-6 small meals a day", but why does no one say "5-6 medium or large meals a day"?

7-9 meals a day here dieting...or bulking...

Brendon9686
07-05-2008, 04:13 AM
It makes sense if you think about it. I just recently got done talking to one of my brothers friend who is a power lifter. To bulk up, he only eats three meals a day maybe four. You want to put on weight one of the best ways is to slow your metabolism so your body burns less calories naturally. By eating three larger meals, that accomplishes slowing your metabolism.

You will gain a little bit more fat sure, but gains will come a lot easier.

Whadabala
07-07-2008, 07:24 AM
I have read many times that you can only digest less than 50 grams of protein at every meal. If I were to eat 3 meals a day, that would put me at 75 grams per meal. Is that a myth also? I'm confused!

belairdfence99
07-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Remember the reason we broke up these meals is to spread the protein throughout the day and prevent catabolism of muscles from starting b.c of waiting too long. Plus, eating huge meals causes spikes in insulin and allows for more fat gains than in a 5-6 meal day.

Bioteknik
07-07-2008, 07:36 AM
I have read many times that you can only digest less than 50 grams of protein at every meal. If I were to eat 3 meals a day, that would put me at 75 grams per meal. Is that a myth also? I'm confused!

I think that alan has a post in the pre-post workout nutrition thread that makes it sound like the 50g protein thing is a myth. It should just take longer to digest more protein, kind of hard to believe that the body simply doesn't digest it after 50 g

redsgift101
07-07-2008, 07:38 AM
the great jack lalanne,still alive aged 94 guess it works then

Frannycakes
07-07-2008, 07:43 AM
im sure if you took roids u could get good gains on 1 meal aday

I was thinking the same thing.

Whadabala
07-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Remember the reason we broke up these meals is to spread the protein throughout the day and prevent catabolism of muscles from starting b.c of waiting too long. Plus, eating huge meals causes spikes in insulin and allows for more fat gains than in a 5-6 meal day.

Its not that I don't have the time, it's just kind of inconvenient. I'm cutting right now. Is the fat gain that comes with eating larger meals really significant or is it very minuscule?

tinyman5000
07-07-2008, 08:00 AM
It makes sense if you think about it. I just recently got done talking to one of my brothers friend who is a power lifter. To bulk up, he only eats three meals a day maybe four. You want to put on weight one of the best ways is to slow your metabolism so your body burns less calories naturally. By eating three larger meals, that accomplishes slowing your metabolism.

You will gain a little bit more fat sure, but gains will come a lot easier.

lol you ****ing retard

DomzyCuttin
07-07-2008, 08:46 AM
http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2008/05/29/5_meals_a_day_does_not_help_weight_loss.php

5 Meals a Day Does Not Help Weight Loss
by Mike Howard

Say it ain't so! The accepted conventional wisdom of eating several smaller meals throughout the day to shed pounds is being challenged at almost every turn. A recent article has gone so far as calling extra meals a "faddish dieting trend" (gasps in horror).

The study cited in the article took 179 obese men and women who were on the same weight loss diets with the same caloric intake with different eating patterns. One group ate 3 times a day while the other ate 3 meals + 3 snacks. No difference was found between the groups in terms of weight, girth measurement, body fatness or blood sugar levels.

The results are consistent with a compilation of similar studies that showed little to no difference between snackers and non-snackers.

"We found it's not when you eat that matters, but what and how much you eat". Says Michelle Palmer, a dietician at the University of Newcastle.

The Theory Behind Snacking
The rationale for eating more often is to boost metabolism and/or help contribute to lower caloric intake. In theory, eating stimulates the thermic effect of food, which should elevate metabolism. Further, aren't we helping curb binges brought on by long stretches without food?

The research does not appear to support such theories and if it is does, it isn't enough to translate into weight loss.

Snacking Can Help or Hinder
Like any other aspect of eating, snacking is highly individual. Making sure you eat a healthy balanced diet is the first line of defense against excess fat. It comes down to hunger cues. If you aren't hungry between meals then don't eat, if you are, grab a healthy snack.

Successful snacking needs to be strategic, healthy and planned for. For people always on the go, sit-down meals are not always in the cards. For these people, snacking is crucial to healthy eating. Also, I often encounter those who eat voraciously at dinner because they essentially don't eat from about noon until after 6. For these people, a mid-afternoon snack is warranted.

Also, look at what you're doing now. If it isn't working, try something different. If you are eating 2-3 times per day - try eating 3-4. If you are prone to excess snacking, try cutting back.

Eat when you are hungry, eat healthily and don't eat too much. The rest will take care of itself.

enough said

Lol, ive known that since I read all the BS articles on here. BUT there is one benefit to eating smaller meals. Protein absorption. I personally use alot of whey when bulking (not so much when cutting). If I had a whey shake lets say with oats every 4.5 hours, I would run out of aminos for 1.5-2.5 hours, since the digestion rate is 2-3 hours. Of course if your eating a wide variety of protein sources in each meal, you could pull off 3 meals a day. But im just saying, the 2-3 hour method isnt useless.

Also, even though it may not change the weight lost on a diet, it may lead to muscle preservation.

Lets say I eat every 2 hours and my calories choosen will leave my body without energy for 1 half hour. That means im in a defecit for about half an hour. Now lets say I eat every 6 hours, and the calories chosen leave me in a defecit for 2-3 hours. I think its safe to assume that being in a calories defecit for a longer period will cause more muscle break down than being in one for a shorter period. Thats why I think during bulking, with a variety of proteins, you could easily pull it off. But while cutting, if muscle maintnance is a main goal (as it is with many competitors) you should be eating atleast 5-6 times. Guys like cutler eat 10 times+ !

XxDecayxX
07-07-2008, 08:57 AM

go ahead listen to him

his shirt in that video :) He had an awesome sense of style, I too own one of those shirts...

Gegezerg
07-07-2008, 09:17 AM
arnold was smalllllll

This stuff pisses me off when people say **** like this..

So who are you comparing him to? Someone like Cutler or some Juiced out new age BB'er?

Yes Arnold used gear back then but they were experimental.. Now days they are almost to the point of abuse.. you think they are getting that big from just some supp's and hard work?

To tell you the truth I won't even bother following someone like that because of the fact that they are not building the muscle, the gear is making it for them.

And some of the so called Pro BB'ers like Cutler and such are not Natural looking at all.. Arnold had a more Natural look (Smaller) as you put it.

Rodzilla
07-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I didn't read the thread, but here is how we can close it up quickly.

-steroid users vs. non steroid users.

-may be benefits for satiety but thats about it

-remember that study showing better LBM gains in the group that ate 3 vs 6

-number of meals really isn't as important as everyone thought it to be

techdude86
10-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Go look at Arnold when he was 15- He called himself skinny but not nearly as skinny as most of the 20 something year olds hanging out on the bodybuilding forums. If you measure your wrist and your ankle and they are tiny- you might wanna just long distance run. I am sure that there are some tiny boned men that have gotten huge- steroids, (Frank Zane) but other then that...dont get your hopes up of becoming a spartan. I am not trying to down people. What I am trying to do is save at least one person from living in a fantasy world. The way I look at it- they had powdered milk back then and Arnold was still 4 times your size @ age 15. So, IMO dont go overboard with all this how many meals etc. Look in the mirror- you are most likely skinny or half as big as the people that are pushing these programs etc. They take roids and say they gained muscle from powder. What about Arnold- the whey we have now was not even around. This is common sense. Unless the human species has evolved or turned to crap or something- innovations in training and bodybuilding do not seem to increase bone size. genetic potential or metabolism. I have a friend that eats like one meal a day- drinks a 12 pack of beer every day, never lifts weights and is bigger than 90% of the people worrying about how often they eat etc. with a 6 pack and veins busting out of his bicep. If you want to see someone that is beast and only eats one meal a day- Herschel Walker. Also, I think he only does body weight and overtrains...LOL- 1K push-ups a day....Nothing wrong with looking up to people, and learning but if you are not genetically blessed- you are most likely better off just having fun. I go to the gym 3 times a week and the same skinny dudes are in there lifting. Been going on 3 years and their bulk up, eat 6 meals a day and split routines do not appear to be doing anything. Maybe a little tiny vein popped out for em. People like Arnold (without steroids or meal programs or even a solid training program) lifted a barbell and his huge veins popped out and he said...wow I can do something with this! Then he added steroids and there ya go. Find something you are blessed with and you will be happier.

SuffolkPunch
10-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Please check thread dates before bumping... although this one is quite a good one - ahead of its time, first mention of leucine threshold that I've seen

ironwill2008
10-05-2016, 10:08 AM
...........not to mention the excellent advice that eating larger meals slows your metabolism! :)

not srs

mccyjcb
10-05-2016, 11:11 AM
...........not to mention the excellent advice that eating larger meals slows your metabolism! :)

not srs

LOL I read this and I literally LOL'ed. Great advice! I can't wait to start telling all my friend :D

ironwill2008
10-05-2016, 11:18 AM
LOL I read this and I literally LOL'ed. Great advice! I can't wait to start telling all my friend :D

There are a few other nuggets ITT as well; that one just jumped out first.

Eating just one meal a day is another worthy candidate.

again, not srs.