PDA

View Full Version : Metrx Protein bars vs Beef Jerky

Aakeem
06-30-2008, 04:41 PM
So everyday after work/during break I head over to the nearest gas station to buy protein sources for my workout. For the past 2 weeks I have been buying all-natural beef jerky, either Pemmican or Jack Links (which says it has 27 g of protein). But now they have added Met-RX chocolate protein bars as well which have 32 grams.

I would like to make the switch to Met-RX because I feel I eat too much meat (don't want to eat it more than once a day, because I usually eat beef for dinner), but how do chocolate Met-RX protein bars compare as a protein source vs all-natural beef jerky. Forgive me if my english is not clear.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

jrockit
06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
how can you eat too much meat ?

I have heard protein bars are not a good source of protein... maybe I am misinformed but thats what I have heard so I don't buy them too much

RSobkowz
06-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Jerky is jacked with sodium. Bars are loaded with sugar or sugar alcohols. If its post-workout and you need the carbs and protein quickly I'd say go for bar as the jerky won't be assimilated as quickly.

adoniscomplex
06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
it depends on your goal
if your looking for fat loss ,i'd go with the jerky

also i dont see why you think you are eating too much meat
how else do you plan on getting protein in

FF8114
06-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Some of the MetRx bars have hydrogenated oils. I do not know how you feel about it but I just thought I would mention it.

Xihix
06-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Those Met-Rx bars have 310 calories for 32g protein, which isn't too bad. Both seem alright, I guess I'd switch it up on whichever you wannna try.

fitmember
06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
BEEF.................Its whats for dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chumbucket666
06-30-2008, 07:12 PM
The MetRX bars are way healthier for you than the carcinogenic nitrates/nitrites found in most jerky. Jerky also usually has your daily recommended serving of sodium in one package.

Bnizzle163
06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Are you looking to add muscle to your frame?

Then how would one serving of meat a day be enough? That just makes no sense at all. Beef jerky is definately meat, and low quality at that (unless of course you make your own :) )

Have you no time to prepare you meals or snacks before work? How about cooking most of it on sunday and have it prepared for the week in tupperware?

I'd go with the met-rx out of the two choices, but if I had a break at work I definately wouldn't opt for a protein bar or some gas station beef jerky. I'd bring my own food in my cooler :)

belairdfence99
06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Think about it
Beef Jerky-Beef=protein
Protein bar-Sugar,chocolate,added protein=protein

Which one do you want your protein coming from?

Xihix
06-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Think about it
Beef Jerky-Beef=protein
Protein bar-Sugar,chocolate,added protein=protein

Which one do you want your protein coming from?

To be fair, the beef in beef jerky isn't that good apparently, and the stuff is drowned in salt. And, sugar alcohol isn't as bad as normal sugar in my opinion... Makes you gassy, sure, but meh.

GForce78NJ
06-30-2008, 08:08 PM
plus beef jerky is f'in awesome!!!