PDA

View Full Version : Question on oatmeal

Beast21
06-18-2008, 06:42 AM
I have heard that you should eat regular oats instead of instant. I looked at the back of the instant and regular Quaker oats canisters and they have the exact same profile. I like the instant a lot better. Is there actually a difference?

Beast21
06-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Bump

GreenEyedGinny
06-18-2008, 06:57 AM
instant isnt bad if its sugar free if it has a bunch of other sugar n crap people usually opt for the plain oats and add there own concoctions

Beast21
06-18-2008, 07:02 AM
The instant and regular both have 1 gram of sugar per 1/2 cup serving. I usually add a dash of brown sugar. So I'm thinking I'd be just fine with the instant version...

whitechococlate
06-18-2008, 07:02 AM
instant oatmeal is perfectly fine /thread

user904904904904
06-18-2008, 07:03 AM
They add stuff to instant oatmeal. That's what makes it instant. The stuff they add really isn't the best for you.

Regular oatmeal takes the same amount of time to cook/microwave, in my opinion. In fact, I eat it raw with water often and it's still awesome if not better.

Beast21
06-18-2008, 07:06 AM
What do they add to i though? Like I said, the profile on the back is identical to the regular. Same fat, sugar, fiber, calories...everything.

in10city
06-18-2008, 07:11 AM
I have heard that you should eat regular oats instead of instant. I looked at the back of the instant and regular Quaker oats canisters and they have the exact same profile. I like the instant a lot better. Is there actually a difference?
Traditional Oats are typically whole grain groats that have been cut into a few pieces whereas rolled oats are flake oats that have been cut, steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted. And then there are "Quick" vs. "Instant", which are the exact same oats but instant oats are rolled even thinner and cut finer/smaller so that they cook very quickly.

The processing and the different surface area per unit weight and particle size will lead to a slight difference in GI and nutrient composition.

If the stuff you are referring to has added sugars, then you'll need to sort that out.

BuckSpin
06-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Instant oats will cause a greater GI response than regular table sugar. If that is what you want, then use them