PDA

View Full Version : How many extra-calories over maintainance do we need for a refeed-meal?

unsoberx
06-17-2008, 11:11 AM
HELLO ALL: i have a question about refeed-meals. i would like to know how many calories extras can we eat in a re-feed meal, refeed day in order to boost the metabolic-rate and refill our depleted muscles when we are following a low-carb, low calorie diet? 500 or 1000 or more?

Oh: I have another question about refeed meals. Would that refeed meal be composed of high-protein? or higher in carbs? I am affraid that if i eat too many carbohydrates in a refeed meal, i would get fat, bloated and puffy. And i wouldnt wanna kill weeks of hard jogging, hunger and weight training with 1 single big meal. So isn't it better to do a high protein refeed meal?

I am planing to eat a refeed meal about every 2 to 3 weeks.

thanks

unsoberx

mpipes
06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
High protein/low carbs for a refeed totally negates the whole point of having a refeed. Protein can not refill muscle glycogen.

refeeds are for carbs. You can eat protein along with the carbs as you still need to eat regular meals, but the extra calories are to come from carbs because that's what's going to refill muscle glycogen.

I eat 450 grams (2g per lb of bodyweight), yes that's 1800 extra calories in carbs alone, over a 5 hour period which starts 1 hour before a workout and ends at bedtime.

Refrain from drinking anything (water, soda, tea, booze, etc.) during the refeed and you'll avoid the fluid spillover that makes you puffy and bloated. Carbs draw 3-4 times their weight in fluid, if you drink fluids the carbs suck them up and you get puffy but if you don't drink anything, the fluids get pulled out of other tissues and can actually reduce the amount of water retention.