PDA

View Full Version : Running vs. Walking

ChangeOfLife
06-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I have seen countless posts disputing which form of cardio is more benefitial and am still undecided...

My goal is FAT LOSS and im undecided between running for 20min (at a decent pace) or walking for 1 hour. I lean toward the walking due to the suggestions that it burns less muscle and is better for the knees.

Which is your favorite form of cardio?? (HIIT, jogging/running, or walking)

eduardosa
06-16-2008, 06:46 PM
well, everytime I do cardio I do HIIT, wich is a mix of running and walking, but mostly running...Anyway, I don't have the patience to walk for an hour, but if you do, it's certainly much better for your knees than running, but I don't know about fat loss...

Xihix
06-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Running, or at least jogging, is probably better since it brings your heart beat higher.

crazymutha
06-16-2008, 06:51 PM

The kind that gets done.

Just as long as you're doing some...

...if you are waiting to figure out the optimal type, you are wasting time.

What is convienent for you?

I pack a lunch and take a ~45 minute walk Mon-Fri on my lunch break because there is a nice paved trail right by my work (can't run on lunch)

That which fits your schedule/lifestyle is the best cardio becasue it is that which you will continue to do consistently.

It is probably optimal to do both...don't let the body adapt.

ironford
06-17-2008, 05:40 AM
walking is what i go with now, but its cause i have bad knees and back probs, but at 4mpg for 60 min and mess with the incline the whole time i go from 10% down to 1% but it gets my heart rate up

ElClipo
06-17-2008, 05:57 AM
As far as I understand, for fat burning walking is better, because the body can't burn fat fast enough while running, so it burns other things for energy.

THE LAD
06-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Ive found either the cross trainer or swimming has worked wonders for me, just whatever burns the most cals.

phoenixr2
06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
QFT, exactly how I feel.

The kind that gets done.

Just as long as you're doing some...

...if you are waiting to figure out the optimal type, you are wasting time.

What is convienent for you?

I pack a lunch and take a ~45 minute walk Mon-Fri on my lunch break because there is a nice paved trail right by my work (can't run on lunch)

That which fits your schedule/lifestyle is the best cardio becasue it is that which you will continue to do consistently.

It is probably optimal to do both...don't let the body adapt.

jimsmith9999
06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
As far as I understand, for fat burning walking is better, because the body can't burn fat fast enough while running, so it burns other things for energy.

The more intense forms of cardio (like HIIT) get the job done by burning fat post-workout.

Walking is great to add in - I walk daily at lunch, to work, ect. Basically as much a I can, but it's no substitute IMHO.

I'm a pretty firm believe that any cardio being done for fat loss should leave you drenched in sweat after you are done.

unsoberx
06-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Another thing is that running will KILL your energies store if you are on a weight loss strict diet, it will make you real hungry, unlike walking which burns less carbs and more fat. Try fast walking, moving your arms

unsoberx

I have seen countless posts disputing which form of cardio is more benefitial and am still undecided...

My goal is FAT LOSS and im undecided between running for 20min (at a decent pace) or walking for 1 hour. I lean toward the walking due to the suggestions that it burns less muscle and is better for the knees.

vgbblife
06-17-2008, 11:30 AM
The more intense the cardio, the higher your metabolism is after. The slower paced longer cardio sessions doesn't rev up the body's metabolism after the workout the way a short intense cardio session would. Do what you can though. If you can't go intense, take it easy and just do that reguraly.

deedubb
06-17-2008, 02:03 PM
walking is what i go with now, but its cause i have bad knees and back probs, but at 4mpg for 60 min and mess with the incline the whole time i go from 10% down to 1% but it gets my heart rate up

I would suggest looking into public transportation or carpooling if you are only getting 4MPG especially with current gas prices these days ;)

Giorrgi
06-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Joggin doesn't "burn" muscle.

I like walking vs running on low calorie diets (something like 50% and less of your maintenance calories). I like walking better because it doesn't harm recovery and it's not tiring, also you don't have a psychological barrier of "I have to do cardio". Instead you just go out and walk. Moderate pace (3-3.5mph) burns something like 250 calories per hour for a ~160lbs person.

qummedigity
06-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I would suggest looking into public transportation or carpooling if you are only getting 4MPG especially with current gas prices these days ;)

You beat me to that punchline

TheManofSteel
06-17-2008, 03:34 PM

Change it up !

Try everything, again like "crazymutha" said whatever keeps you consistent.

I love keeping a variety of cardio, it keeps me entertained, keeps my body/mind guessing, and challenges my body.

Some days it's HIIT, or a Power Walk, or interval training (jump rope, running stairs, sprints, mountain climbers), long runs, or elliptical.

Do what you can that's important.

johnrich69
06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Unless you've got problems with your joints the real question should be jogging or doing sprints? And to this I'd say take a look at marathon joggers and then look at professional sprinters, which body would you rather have???........................................... .................................................

Gunrock
06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
My buddy and I disagree about this one, he's got about 30 pounds to lose and he prefers to do sprints but he complains he's not dropping weight fast enough.
I say he's better off doing cardio for 30 min straight whether walking or running for 4 days a week than trying to do sprints 3 days a week for 20 minutes.

He's got a powerlifter build right now w/ a belly and love handles but a lot of muscle too.

any thoughts appreciated.

BC23
06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Hiit. Run for 30 seconds, walk for 30 seconds, about 10 times. Or switch up the numbers.

thebm
06-17-2008, 05:58 PM
i will probably get flamed for this and i know there is a lot of research to support low intensity cardio, but personally i think walking is a total waste of time. if you're a total ecto and you're terrified of muscle loss, then walk, but personally i'd much rather put in some real effort for 20-30 mins instead of walking for hours to burn the same amount of calories. both are extremely boring, so the one that takes the least time is the best to me. plus, after really working your ass off during some high intensity cardio, you feel amazing

asuguy
06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
whichever you are willing and able to do is the one you should do. if you can go either route, mix it up. im doing 1 hour of walking 6 days per week. i will NOT run. doing something is better than doing nothing.

Bo DeLone
06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Hiit. Run for 30 seconds, walk for 30 seconds, about 10 times. Or switch up the numbers.

Yes this HIITis good.

I think that low intensity running and walking don't change the way the body looks. Look at the people doing medium intensity cardio at gyms- they don't change they don't generally look any different month after month. I know because I used to do cardio in my heart rate and everything but I didn't look any better.

The interval HIIT and weight trainers look better though.

crazymutha
06-17-2008, 06:25 PM
I like walking better because it doesn't harm recovery.

Listen to this guy.

Don't do anything that interferes w/ lifting/recovery. Just don't go there.

consciouschef
06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
People seriously walk for cardio? How lazy can you be?

Stop crying about your muscles and joints and get in a pool.

thebm
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
btw, people walk cuz it puts their hearts into their supposed "fat loss" zone, but it's not actually cardio unless you're doing 70-80% of your max hr. so even though walking is supposed to burn fat, it really doesn't help stengthen your heart and make it healthier like real cardio does.

im with consicous chef, if you're too lazy to work hard then you can't expect much for results imo. how can you expect to be in good shape if the best exercise you ever do doesn't even make you sweat?

crazymutha
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Depends on lifestyle.

For me, I can get 45 minutes of scenic walking in, M-F on my hour lunch.

Why would I negelect that oppurtunity?

Or, go for walks w/ the girlfriend.

Well, the lazier your lifestyle is, the more intense your cardio will need to be.

thebm
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
that's true too, walking on your lunch hour is better than not walking. but if you're at the gym, walking is dumb imo

crazymutha
06-17-2008, 07:10 PM
that's true too, walking on your lunch hour is better than not walking. but if you're at the gym, walking is dumb imo

Right on!

Unless, you need the recovery.

Some of us work at desks, some walk as part of of our job, and some exert much energy throughout the day. There are just so many factors.

If you really don't do much throughout each day, well adding a little walking won't cut it.

If you are active and lift 5 days a week, adding a 30-45 minute walk 5 days a week is ideal, as you will increase caloric expenditure w/o compromising recovery.

TheManofSteel
06-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Try walking on an incline at a decent pace and see how lazy it is. . .

mridgley
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
The more intense the cardio, the higher your metabolism is after. The slower paced longer cardio sessions doesn't rev up the body's metabolism after the workout the way a short intense cardio session would. Do what you can though. If you can't go intense, take it easy and just do that reguraly.

Yes, but.....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108522191

Pure-Natural
06-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Try light jog; 4% incline; 6 MPH or laps in the pool is a great cardio source for full body.

ironford
06-18-2008, 04:35 AM

would be nice if there was a pool here lol