PDA

View Full Version : Weight/Fat loss tips

MAV85
06-13-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm 23, 286 pounds, 5'7''

About two weeks ago I started my weight training for life class at the local college. I've been staying away from fatty foods, and started the alli program. GNC mega sport, omega 3, anti oxidant are my supplements

I've lost 11 pounds in two weeks:

my routine is: Monday thru Thursday, weight lifting

bench press about 65 pounds, 3 set of 10, leg press 265 3 sets of 3, rope pull machine 5 mins, leg smith machine-bar 3 sets of 10, chin ups and dips on a weight balancing machine?, and sit ups on a yoga ball.
I bowl for about 47 mins after my 6'' inch sub with oil/vinegar oven roasted chicken breast with no cheese on honey oat bread for lunch with some water.

In the mornings I eat 3/4 cup of soy milk with 1/2 a cup of some organic trail mix cereal low in sugar and high in fiber, with a slice of 7 grain wheat breads with six grams of fiber.
4 oz of lean shake from GNC and a few slices of apple.
Monday thru Thursday I take Tae kwon do classes, 15 mins of stretching sit ups and 5 of cardio.
I'm doing well. I feel great, but I want to do more! I don't want to stay big, I want to lose the fat and put on some muscle.
I went from jean size 42-40? to 38, and my dress shirts are loose.
Any suggestions....I'm buying a to go lunch container this weekend so I wont spend too much money at subway....35$ last week on lunch
Any work out routines for abs. beginners level please!
Any ways to add some weight to my max on the bench press.
Thanks
MAV

asuguy
06-14-2008, 12:08 AM
just dont make too many changes at the same time. your body and your mind like baby steps. i started with 5 min of cardio per day while maintaining all my other normal habits (constant junk food, fast food, etc.) now six weeks later im up to 60 min of cardio per day, and eat much better but still give into my urges for junk food every now and then.

Vineshway
06-14-2008, 12:08 AM
ummm... the whole forum?

scrummie2
06-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Concentrate on dropping the weight off -- your strength gains will come (including your bench) just by being in there and moving. As someone new to weightlifting I'd expect you to both drop a lot of fat and make some great muscle gains in the first month or two, and then your muscle gains will plateau as your body adjusts to the new load and cutting fat -- that's normal, don't get discouraged -- once you get to that point you'll be moving decent weight but should just concentrate on dropping fat. If you decide the muscles you get through that time lifting are enough, you're good -- if you decide you want to get bigger muscle wise, once you drop the weight you can go on a bulk and try to add some actual new muscle tissue.

Congrats on starting! This is a great community for support. Get your exercise in, but put focus on diet -- I truly believe diet is 80% of success in the gym. In two months of getting back to lifting I've had gains that took me 2-3 years to achieve -- and it's because I finally got disciplined to the point of anal about what I eat. Educate yourself, work hard, and don't give up.

Think about one year from today. There are two ways you can wake up that morning. One is waking up, realizing another year has gone by...and regretting that that time seemed to fly by with nothing changing when you kept telling yourself you'd really get it going next week, or tomorrow. The other is getting up, realizing and being thrilled about just how far you've come, and resolving to get up and keep doing it again. Getting started here is the first step towards making it the latter...good job! Focus every day and you won't believe what you've accomplished in a year.

BuckSpin
06-14-2008, 03:30 AM
"Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent"

Great job thus far! Keep it up.

crupiea
06-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Good job. I would strongly suggest giving up the alli. Unless you want to crap yourself in public places.

It will leech your body of nutrients that it needs. This will just put you farther behind then where you would normally be.

Get a solid target of what your calories should be, eat that much everyday and workout. Its easy. Just have some self control and youll do great.

RachelBringIt
06-14-2008, 02:30 PM
drop the subway and make it an every once in awhile thing. Cook food in bulk at home and keep in portioned conatiners in the fridge, its cheaper and better for you. Subway has a lot of salt in the bread and meat. If you want lunchmeat for quick sandwhiches, go for the low sodium boar's head. Its half what normal lunchmeat has.