PDA

View Full Version : new over 400 help!

BigChris00
06-12-2008, 08:33 PM
i am new to the boards i just signed up today. i am 25 years old and 425lbs. its really hard to post and say that you weigh that mutch but i am looking at this as my first step towards losing the weight. i have to admit it's my fault and i have to move forward with my life and start doing what is right for myself.

i have signed up because i really need a support system and i would like to lose weight and not feel horrible everytime i look in the mirror.

i really would appreciate any help and support i can get here.

utvolman99
06-12-2008, 08:42 PM
i am new to the boards i just signed up today. i am 25 years old and 425lbs. its really hard to post and say that you weigh that mutch but i am looking at this as my first step towards losing the weight. i have to admit it's my fault and i have to move forward with my life and start doing what is right for myself.

i have signed up because i really need a support system and i would like to lose weight and not feel horrible everytime i look in the mirror.

Read all of the stickys at the top of the page esp the "best of". The best thing to do is to find a plan and stick to it. Something I am using and have had luck with is "Body for Life". In my openion it is really a program for beginners. It is easy to understand and stick to. You can do a google and buy to book if you like. There are a lot of others on here who can give you much better advice than I can and I'm sure you will find lots of support here. There are others on this board who were your size or near your size and lost all the weight. All it takes if for you to make the decision and make a stand for yourself.

BigChris00
06-13-2008, 03:06 AM
hi utvolman99 thanks for the advice i will read up on here.

if anyone else can help that would be great

Terve
06-13-2008, 03:20 AM
I 2nd 'Body for Life' - I read it within a 3 hour period and enjoyed it actually, it may just jumpstart what you're looking for, PM me for a copy if you're interested.

Also, I'd look to invest in a treadmill/stair-stepper/elliptical of some kind and maybe a trip to costco for some healthy foods to buy.

If you eat right and exercise you'll be down a lot of pounds within a couple of months, then you could be one of our success stories :)

Best of luck http://forum.bodybuilding.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

scrummie2
06-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Great first step. Now just take the next one, and the next one...and pretty soon you'll realize you don't want to stop the journey.

I agree with BFL, I think it can be a great way to start. You can keep repeating it as well until you feel the workouts aren't challenging enough, then go try something else.

NorthernMist
06-13-2008, 05:40 AM
I am new to the boards I just signed up today. i am 25 years old and 425lbs. its really hard to post and say that you weigh that mutch but i am looking at this as my first step towards losing the weight. i have to admit it's my fault and i have to move forward with my life and start doing what is right for myself.

I have signed up because I really need a support system and I would like to lose weight and not feel horrible every time I look in the mirror.

I really would appreciate any help and support I can get here.

One thing that seemed to help me allot was FITDAY.com you can enter in all your information and how much you want to lose by a given period and it will tell you how many calories you should eat a day. You will want to also document all the food you eat during the day into the system to keep track of how much is going in verse being burnt.

I know you hear Diet and Exercise over and over. But when it comes down to it, it is really that simple just takes dedication and keeping it up. I was like 305 I know it?s not 400 but getting their and about 7 months later 248.

Just keep at it Chris, for us heaver Guys its actually probably easer to drop allot of weight since we have so much of it, the lower you go the harder it seems to get, from what it sounds like on the forums.

Basically Document your food, after a few months of this you will probably have a good idea of how much of what is in the food you eat and you can estimate. I like having all the charts and goals in Fit day to look on every week to make sure I am on the right track. Main thing is you don?t want to starve your body, so that?s why allot of people will suggest switching to 5 or 6 small meals a day to meet the cravings. Allot of other people on the forum also talk about cheat days. I am not sure how often they do them for sounds like once a week. I really only do cheat foods maybe once a month if that.

You might also notice after working out and dieting weight is not dropping, you might need to give it a month or so, but if you keep up the dedication and continue your diet and cardio / weight lifting it will start to fall off.

If you hit a point where you are not dropping any more weight after dropping 20+ or so pounds, usually what I do is either switch up my diet completely, or though in a cheat day "This does not mean eating crappy food all day but eating a little more than normal and maybe throwing in some ice cream or something, or just hit the gym harder some suggest HIIT to kick your metabolism back into track.

Hope this offers some Motivation and support!

stand_1998
06-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Congratulations on taking the first step. It doesn't get any easier, but you're on the right track!

I would say that you need to find motivation so that you are consistent.

For me, my motivation comes from stats tracking, looking at images of body types that I'm working towards, and reading other people's success stories.

Also, you need to become educated about fitness and what factors will help you reach your goals. Like others have stated: find a plan and stick to it.

Good luck on your quest, and stay active in the forums so that others can help you.

Cronos1247
06-13-2008, 08:43 AM
x3 on the Body for Life. I did the program with a lot of success a while ago, I actually may re-do the program soon just because it works well and is easy to follow.

kamjah
06-13-2008, 08:46 AM
it's really good that you realize that you needed to make a life change. check out this thread, a fellow member went from over 400 to the low 270 lean.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4633983

b.spencer
06-13-2008, 09:02 AM

Hi Chris,

First, congratulations on your decision. I started out pretty close to you in weight, and I'm here to tell you that you can do it.

A lot of the advice here is dead on. But, at your current size, and the size I used to be, there are some things you must keep in mind and do, that is a bit different from most people here.

First, go to your doctor and get a complete physical exam. You're gonna throw your body into a tailspin just by trying to change. So, you must know what you are up against and if there are any conditions (like diabetes or HBP) that you need to account for in your diet/exercise program.

There are a number of good diets out there. I used "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle," but the "Body for Life" system everyone's talked about is quite similar. So are the diets on BB.com on Derek Charlebois thread on the main page. They are balanced diet programs, and that's gonna be important in your loss. You really cannot afford to do the diets that are not balanced at this point. You're gonna change yourself for life. The thing to keep in mind with all of these diets, or the calculators, is that the calorie estimates are not gonna be good for you, as the calorie consumption equations are not really designed for people our size. You will have to adjust them, either up or down, depending on the diet you choose.

You will loose weight very rapidly at first, way faster than what most people here recommend, but that's normal. 5-7 pounds a week for the first weeks is not unheard of. But, scales are not important at the moment. Get a tape measure and measure your body (waist, chest, thighs, etc) every 7-10 days. You will see the difference there very quickly. It was a great motivator for me when there wasn't a bathroom scale that could measure my weight.

Start your exercise in a very small, controlled way. I bought a stationary bike with a 450 lbs max weight person, but only started out at 5 minutes a day. They key was to push a little at a time, but steadily up in time, a couple of minutes a week. It seems so small compared to what we normally talk about in cardio and what you'll read in the books, but trust me, it works for us. Weight training is important too, but keep it to a total body, simple exercises, 3x per week. Just lift as heavy as you safely can.

Best of Luck. We're all here to help.

nike63jon
06-13-2008, 11:42 AM
can someone post a link to that body for life? i would like to read it but for somereason i am unable to find the thread its in....thanks

b.spencer
06-13-2008, 12:51 PM
can someone post a link to that body for life? i would like to read it but for some reason i am unable to find the thread its in....thanks

Here's the official site. ~ http://bodyforlife.com/

You can probably pick up a hard cover copy of the book at a used bookstore in your area for a few bucks. There are always like 3 copies at my local store for $5 or $6 bucks.

KineticWall
06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
yo my main man chris

If you start doing some easy cardio and stick to it for a bit after those first couple pounds melt off u will not wanna stop, your prob already over the hardest part knowing u want to change

what keeps me motivated is reading stories of other people and how much they changed and how much greater there life is!!

keep us posted on your plan!
(also look in the nutrition section for some REALLY good info)

Pnoyfrmdbay707
06-13-2008, 01:16 PM
hi utvolman99 thanks for the advice i will read up on here.

if anyone else can help that would be great

and remember, all the research you do, or all the advice you get will all come to waste if your not devoted. Meaning don't cheat yourself. Stay at it, with no excuses.

Sherman60
06-13-2008, 01:33 PM
and remember, all the research you do, or all the advice you get will all come to waste if your not devoted. Meaning don't cheat yourself. Stay at it, with no excuses.

So true. Think twice before each meal, and envision your final goal.

DO NOT LOSE MOTIVATION! If you need to, PM me and I will send you something to keep you motivated. It takes guts to do what you are doing.

You just have to start exercising each day. Say the first days is 10 minutes, on the second day, make it 12 minutes, and keep progressing and losing.

Good luck, and I said PM me if you need to

fattrucker
06-13-2008, 01:37 PM
BigChris00, I hear you bro!!!!

Last September I weighed 411! Now I am 335.

To lose the first 60 lbs. I did nothing more than stop drinking 3 liters of Coke a day and I stopped eating fast food. As a truck driver it was very difficult for me. I switched to Diet Mountain Dew (that was difficult but you get used to it) and switched all my meals on the road to Subway.

Just recently I decided to take it to the next level. I hired a personal trainer and bought a two year gym membership. On the roads I keep dumbbells in the truck and I have been doing 45 minutes of cardio every morning.

Dude I know it's hard, it hurts! But it is now or never man we are both to young to be trapped in a fat cage for the remainder of our lives.

Never Give Up!!!!!!!!!

BigChris00
06-15-2008, 05:33 PM
hey guys. thanks for all of the help.

today i picked up a copy of body for life. i will be reading this over the rest of the night. i noticed there is a weight loss competition on their site i think i could use this as motivation. i am very competetive so i think i could use this as a weight loss tool.

again thanks for all the help and i will keep everyone posted with my weekly progress.

Jell0
06-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Great first step and I wish you luck on your journey. I would advise going to the doctors for a physical before you really start hitting the cardio and weights. Its a good first step to make sure you have no hidden conditions which could hinder your progress or hurt you. My wife talked me into going to the doctors and I found out that I had a thyroid condition that would have made my weight loss almost impossible. it well worth it.

Good luck!

BigChris00
06-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Great first step and I wish you luck on your journey. I would advise going to the doctors for a physical before you really start hitting the cardio and weights. Its a good first step to make sure you have no hidden conditions which could hinder your progress or hurt you. My wife talked me into going to the doctors and I found out that I had a thyroid condition that would have made my weight loss almost impossible. it well worth it.

Good luck!

i actually do have a thyroid condition and i have been taking synthroid for 6 months now. we have finally found the right dosage and my thyroid levels are normal.

overall i have a clean bill of health.. normal blood pressure. ive had ekg's so my heart is healthy..

just the thyroid problem but i am taking the proper medication...

hopefully the thyroid doesnt hurt me too much.

sxgt
06-15-2008, 06:13 PM
welcome!!! the best thing at this point is to educate yourself about all that is health and nutrition!!

have a look at my health bible!

http://fitness.skippypodar.net/

mk25
06-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey man, we are in this together. I just broke under the 300 mark for the first time in a long time. You can do this. Discipline I find is the best thing for me. No alcohol or cheat meals. Just had to prove I was man enough to do it. Now when everyone is around drinking and eating chips I feel tough!!!! You CAN do this. We can do this!!! Reps for being honest with yourself, hardest thing for fat people to do.

BigChris00
06-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Hey man, we are in this together. I just broke under the 300 mark for the first time in a long time. You can do this. Discipline I find is the best thing for me. No alcohol or cheat meals. Just had to prove I was man enough to do it. Now when everyone is around drinking and eating chips I feel tough!!!! You CAN do this. We can do this!!! Reps for being honest with yourself, hardest thing for fat people to do.

I appreciate the support. If you don't mind me asking what was your starting weight? it must feel awesome to be under 300. I will feel great just losing my first 30 and getting under the 400 mark.

How did you change eating habits? my toughest time of day is at night i am the worst i can eat and eat and eat after 10 i need to get out of this habit.

BigChris00
06-17-2008, 04:04 PM
so does anyone think it would be a good idea for me to start or join a weight loss contest online ?

FadeawayJ23
06-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I did only cardio for 4 months before I played any basketball or lifted one weight. Looking back, not only did that prevent injuries but it allowed me to buildup a sense of desire and urgency to get in shape so I could lift and play basketball.

The whole thing is one big mind game. Just take your time, don't rush it, and just worry about today.

TODAY is all that matters.

SDC77
06-17-2008, 04:41 PM
You need to stick with the basics. Understand this... if you start eating clean (or when you just start eating less calories) you will likely see significant progress due to being 425 lbs. I'm talking massive losses per week of probably 6 - 10 lbs at first, maybe more. That said, you need to realize that this is a marathon, not a track meet. If you read the stickies and start eating a clean diet and start with a light/moderate exercise program, you will see results. Don't go overboard with supplements, complicated macro ratios, or fancy workout programs.

Start walking 15-30 minutes a day every day. It doesn't matter how far you go or what pace you walk, just get moving for 15-30 continuous minutes. Definitely start lifting weights, but you don't have to go all out with the exercises that will hurt your joints. At 425 lbs, bodyweight 1/4 squats will do just fine, and I wouldn't recommend lunges at all right now. Deadlifts are probably a no-go due to you probably not being able to execute proper form at this stage. Upper body exercises you should be able to do easily. Bench press, overhead press, rows, curls, etc. Here again, just moving and working your muscles will go a long way, it doesn't have to be anything major.

Get plenty of sleep and if you are sore beyond belief and feel a mental drain, don't workout. Just go for a short walk and get your rest. The last thing you need to do is "work through the pain" because you are in a very different place than the average person looking to lose a few pounds. What will work for you is consistency.

Finally, avoid paralysis by analysis. Don't get wrapped up in a lot of the drama that goes on within fitness communities, television and magazines. If you eat a sensible diet at a calorie deficit ( don't eat like a bird, I wouldn't recommend you eat less than 3,000 - 3,500 calories starting out; adjust as you lose weight) and get moving and keep up the moderate lifting, the fat will come off.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

mk25
06-17-2008, 05:39 PM
I appreciate the support. If you don't mind me asking what was your starting weight? it must feel awesome to be under 300. I will feel great just losing my first 30 and getting under the 400 mark.

How did you change eating habits? my toughest time of day is at night i am the worst i can eat and eat and eat after 10 i need to get out of this habit.
my starting weight was somewhere in the 320's. I did it cold turkey. I decided to start on a monday, so I had a binge weekend. Started Monday, got home from work drand 3 bloody mary's and decided I wanted a beer. So I drand the three beers that were in the fridge and sent my wife to the store to get more. I woke up so mad at my self that I decided I was going to torture myself with diet and excercise. I got pissed at my self. Literally look at my self in the mirror and said "you are a fat piece and if you don't do something about it you are gonna die". To my suprise it felt good to get that off my chest and be honest with myself instead of making excuses. You will have pitfalls, there will be pain. Its gonna hurt a little. Its a sacrifice. But WE have to do it for ourselves, for our health. This approach won't work for everyone, but it works for me. If you make your mind up and stick to it for 2 to 3 weeks it will become a lot easier. Plan your meals. I plan my meals a week at a time. If its not in my gameplan it doesn't get eaten. Be prepared. Make a list and go to the store, buy only whats on the list. Let your closest family and friends know what you are doing. Ask them to respect what you are trying to do. I go to my moms or grandma's most sundays for lunch after church, they make sure to have food for me. Drink tons of water, its good for you and can curb hunger. GO TO BED. Don't stay up late, you will get bored and you will be tempted to eat junk. Eating junk in the middle of the night is the funnest thing ever, but don't do it. Step up to the plate my man, there are many others fighting the same fight. I still have a hundred pounds to lose to get to my goal. Then I will re-set my goals and get better. I have made my mind up!

oysterhead
06-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the boards Chris. It's gonna be awesome to see your transformation. :D

GForce78NJ
06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
3 Recommendations for ya: There is a thread in the Losing Fat section called do you need an obese support group. I started at 300 lbs 2 years ago and decided to join this thread, it just was a relief to get it off my chest and to see everybody was fighting the same damn fight as me. They will push you through and i must say the people who stuck on that thread lost a ton. Atleast get your name out there and u will right away take your first step into living a better life.

2nd opinion is to make your own workout log. I personally didn't do this but apparently many people did and saw great progress because they were posting there success daily. Even if you have a bad day you post it on there and it will motivate you to try harder the next day.

3rd opinion: There is a stickied thread that is called partner up. Find somebody who is in the same boat as you and is looking to change their life completely. You two can motivate each other and you will see the pounds fly off because your competing.

I truely believe anybody can lose weight if they want to. The secret is commitment, give yourself a long stare in the mirror and let yourself know your man enough to achieve your goals and you wont give up until you do. Need any help with anything along the way feel free to holler

scrummie2
06-17-2008, 09:46 PM
You need to stick with the basics. Understand this... if you start eating clean (or when you just start eating less calories) you will likely see significant progress due to being 425 lbs. I'm talking massive losses per week of probably 6 - 10 lbs at first, maybe more. That said, you need to realize that this is a marathon, not a track meet. If you read the stickies and start eating a clean diet and start with a light/moderate exercise program, you will see results. Don't go overboard with supplements, complicated macro ratios, or fancy workout programs.

Start walking 15-30 minutes a day every day. It doesn't matter how far you go or what pace you walk, just get moving for 15-30 continuous minutes. Definitely start lifting weights, but you don't have to go all out with the exercises that will hurt your joints. At 425 lbs, bodyweight 1/4 squats will do just fine, and I wouldn't recommend lunges at all right now. Deadlifts are probably a no-go due to you probably not being able to execute proper form at this stage. Upper body exercises you should be able to do easily. Bench press, overhead press, rows, curls, etc. Here again, just moving and working your muscles will go a long way, it doesn't have to be anything major.

Get plenty of sleep and if you are sore beyond belief and feel a mental drain, don't workout. Just go for a short walk and get your rest. The last thing you need to do is "work through the pain" because you are in a very different place than the average person looking to lose a few pounds. What will work for you is consistency.

Finally, avoid paralysis by analysis. Don't get wrapped up in a lot of the drama that goes on within fitness communities, television and magazines. If you eat a sensible diet at a calorie deficit ( don't eat like a bird, I wouldn't recommend you eat less than 3,000 - 3,500 calories starting out; adjust as you lose weight) and get moving and keep up the moderate lifting, the fat will come off.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

x2. There is, in some ways, way too much information on this site -- and a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight and are now looking at adjustments to get from like 12% BF to 8% -- where things get really specialized...right now, consistency and dedication in diet and some form of exercise are all you really need to focus on, and your body will start doing the rest for you -- and you'll realize in due time when you need to start worrying about some of the more nit-noid fitness stuff.