PDA

View Full Version : gain strength while lowering fat?

iatemeself
06-11-2008, 08:08 PM
is this possible?

nike63jon
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
the program i am doing seems to be working, im getting stronger and losing weight....just the weight loss is going slow. Im getting stronger every week it seems...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108363741

Brian_M
06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
I've been doing it for the last 5 weeks. My scale weight has changed 10lbs, my bodyfat has decreased 4~5% and my weights/reps have all increased by about 1/3rd.

I think it's what educated people here call "Newbie Gains", possible only within the first 6 months of starting. After that, I read, it's one or the other (cut fat or gain muscle).

Braindrop
06-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Absolutely. I've dropped 51 pounds so far, with serious increases in the poundages I'm lifting. See my journal for details.

in10city
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
is this possible?
Strength improvements are correlated to improvements in neuromuscular / muscle fiber activation and recruitment - you've possibly become more coordinated / efficient with the particular movement (i.e. practice makes perfect) and your nervous system improvements are leading to more muscle fibers being contracted and/or they are contracting more powerfully.

And since you're young, you may even be able to add muscle mass as well.

chevy72blu
06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I've been doing it for the last 5 weeks. My scale weight has changed 10lbs, my bodyfat has decreased 4~5%...

You cut 5% BF in 5 weeks? wtf?

How exactly?

Brian_M
06-12-2008, 12:54 PM
You cut 5% BF in 5 weeks? wtf?

How exactly?

I'm willing to bet that some of that was bloat/water retention at the beginning, some was/is user error with the Accu-Measure calipers and some of it is legitimate.

I'm doing a Strict Keto diet (only carbs are fiber, and those are about 10g/day or slightly less.), and I have only "carbed up" 2 times in 5 weeks.

But it's what I've measured (and remeasured... I've done all measurements 5~6 times just to try and get a median for my records). *shrug*

TheManofSteel
06-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Strength improvements are correlated to improvements in neuromuscular / muscle fiber activation and recruitment - you've possibly become more coordinated / efficient with the particular movement (i.e. practice makes perfect) and your nervous system improvements are leading to more muscle fibers being contracted and/or they are contracting more powerfully.

And since you're young, you may even be able to add muscle mass as well.

/thread- one hundred percent

As to Brian M, he started on 5/12 which means he is exactly one month into his jounrey (congrats btw). He should be showing great gains in his first month of training especially if it is effective training these are the neuro-muscular gains --- Brian expect your gains to bottom off a lil.

Doing a *mediam* measurement is the best way to do it but I would stick to doing it 3 times cycling thru the sites- are you sure your using the correct sites?

gmmat
06-12-2008, 01:20 PM
My bench is going up on average 5 lbs a week. I've lost 17 pounds in 7-8 weeks. I started my cut having NOT lifted in a few years, though....so take that for what its worth.

I know I'm getting stronger AND losing weight. It's irrefutable.

maleldil
06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Definitely possible, depending on how strong you already are. I've been cutting for 7 months, down 28 pounds, and I've increased every single lift by quite a bit. When I started I could only deadlift 1x bodyweight, now I'm up to 1.75x (granted I have less bodyweight, but still). Increased squat, shoulder press, max reps pull-ups, dips, etc. Granted I was detrained when I started (used to lift in high school, but never as much as I can lift now) but it's definitely possible. I haven't gained any muscle mass either. I do Crossfit as my workout program.

mtxpert
06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm definitely getting stronger and I've been on a cut for pretty much 18 months...
:)

Brian_M
06-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Doing a *mediam* measurement is the best way to do it but I would stick to doing it 3 times cycling thru the sites- are you sure your using the correct sites?

Median is just the average (math term, like "mean"... )

I'm using the AccuMeasure caliper:

http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/

With their one measurement site of the suprailliac on the stomach. I'd heard that you could use the calipers for other measurements but could not find information on how to process those measurements. Granted, I didn't look too hard either.

TheManofSteel
06-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Median is just the average (math term, like "mean"... )

I'm using the AccuMeasure caliper:

http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/

With their one measurement site of the suprailliac on the stomach. I'd heard that you could use the calipers for other measurements but could not find information on how to process those measurements. Granted, I didn't look too hard either.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/BodyCompSites.html