PDA

View Full Version : Question: Protein Source

cujo23
06-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok Ive seen list of the best foods for protein and it is always egg then whey protein. Yet I hear people say you should get as much protein as you can from whole foods. My question is if whey protein is the second best, why cant you use whey as your primary protein source? Just Curious?

nathan183
06-10-2008, 06:03 PM
When you see those lists, they're simply listing the protein sources with the highest biological value (BV) which is basically how usable the protein is by the body.

The highest BV doesn't necessarily mean it's the "best" protein. There are other things to consider such as nutrients.

cujo23
06-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Ok I understand that, but if you took a multivitamn and other vitamns, cant that take care of those? I was just wondering if its how the body accepted

Dave P
06-10-2008, 06:07 PM
You should never have just one type of protein. Variety is the key.

That being said Whey is an awesome protein with an amazing profile and I think people on this sight get way too worked up about "whole" foods. Protein is protein, go ahead and drink as much whey as you want and keep your macro's in order.

Dont let people tell you that you shouldnt get your protein from "supplements". Its f-cking protein.

IGF-WON
06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
a multi shouldnt replace a good diet

thricenotrice
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
a multi shouldnt replace a good diet

yet that is exactly what they are made for

NathanTurner
06-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Supplements are meant to supplement your diet, not be its entirety. Multivitamins and protein powder should supplement your diet of whole, nutritious foods, not replace them.

Just as fat loss isn't to be found in a magic pill, neither is good nutrition.

cujo23
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I agree with both of you, I dont think that multi and fat burners should take place of food but I do think you can use a protein shake as a meal replacement. I was only wondering because I was reading an article on the trainer who did Thomas Janes diet for the punisher and 80-90% of his protein came from shakes along with carbs coming from carb drinks and had amazing results. Probably just the way he his. Thanks guys for the opinions

Mr. Aries
06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
you can use protein as your primary source if you must... I, however, like the taste of food an do not like to drink my calories.