PDA

View Full Version : Carbs near bedtime

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Complex or simple?

Also I want to make a casein shake out of milk powder and milk, will this give sustained protein release?

The powder has maltodextrin in. Why?

Thanks

zaco123
06-04-2008, 01:00 PM
complex

somewhat, milk is 80% casien and 20% whey, its not optimal, but if its all you can do i guess so. cottage cheese with oats and peanut butter would be better though

probably for sweetness with the maltodextrin (which you should avoid)

Jules Verne
06-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm a fan of carbs before bed (mainly due to my schedule and eating habits) and I'd definitely say keep the majority complex/slow digesting.

Oats, whole grain cereal, fibrous veg, something like that and I also wouldn't go overboard - like a significant percentage of your daily intake.

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 02:16 PM
complex

somewhat, milk is 80% casien and 20% whey, its not optimal, but if its all you can do i guess so. cottage cheese with oats and peanut butter would be better though

probably for sweetness with the maltodextrin (which you should avoid)

Yeah I'd take about 40g of the powder and 300 ml skimmed milk, and maybe a tiny bit of whey leaving me with 25g protein. The milk will help me sleep too I hope. I'll take a spoonful of PB

Im concerned about the maltodextrin though. Im hoping its a very tiny amount and i cant find any info on amounts anywhere.

rhizome
06-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Complex or simple?

Also I want to make a casein shake out of milk powder and milk, will this give sustained protein release?

The powder has maltodextrin in. Why?

Thanks
What are the carbohydrate numbers on the label? You could probably deduce the amount from there.

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
What are the carbohydrate numbers on the label? You could probably deduce the amount from there.

I think its a tiny amount as i've just realised its "Skimmed milk powder with added vitamins A and D". Then on the ingredients its part of the "Vitamin premix compound", and its not even the main ingredient in that.

It'll be ok to take you reckon, not an amount worth caring about?

I looked on my multi vits and there's some in there too as part of the "vitamin E compound".

Thanks for helping.

rhizome
06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I think its a tiny amount as i've just realised its "Skimmed milk powder with added vitamins A and D". Then on the ingredients its part of the "Vitamin premix compound", and its not even the main ingredient in that.

It'll be ok to take you reckon, not an amount worth caring about?

I looked on my multi vits and there's some in there too as part of the "vitamin E compound".

Thanks for helping.
It's probably being used as a binder then. Minimal amount.

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 03:26 PM
It's probably being used as a binder then. Minimal amount.

Great thanks. Could you recommend me some good foods to eat nearer bedtime? I know I need sustained protein release, so im thinking low fat cheeses, and milks.

What about whey? and someone suggested oats and peanut butter - how come?

seymore4
06-04-2008, 03:42 PM
As long as they fit in your macros for the day go for it with the carbs. But remember that you're going to be sleeping so there's no point in having simple carbs then. I read that your blood-glucose peaks 30 min after eating simple carbs; you definately don't want that.

As for foods to eat, if you want to invest in a casein protein that's good, (tastes like ass tho) otherwise :
cottage cheese
PB
Whole foods--steak, chicken, etc.
VEGGIES

If all you've got is whey that'll work too, just make sure you get some fats in to slow down digestion. EX:
1C skim milk
1 scoop whey
2 Tablespoons PB
1/2 C uncooked or 1 C cooked oatmeal

Gives you a nice slow stream of carbs and protein. Oats digest slowly, and the healthy fats in PB slow the digestion of everything else.

rhizome
06-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Great thanks. Could you recommend me some good foods to eat nearer bedtime? I know I need sustained protein release, so im thinking low fat cheeses, and milks.

What about whey? and someone suggested oats and peanut butter - how come?
Cottage cheese, eggs or any lean meat will do. A part of it being whey is OK. Someone was probably trolling you with the Oats & PB. Maybe for weight gain mode.

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Cottage cheese, eggs or any lean meat will do. A part of it being whey is OK. Someone was probably trolling you with the Oats & PB. Maybe for weight gain mode.

So PB and oats arent necessary?

So a few tablespoons of cottage cheese, and my milk and milk powder will be fine?

Thanks again

Jules Verne
06-04-2008, 04:43 PM
So PB and oats arent necessary?

So a few tablespoons of cottage cheese, and my milk and milk powder will be fine?

Thanks again

Oh yea, don't add carbs pre-bed unless you feel like you need them (e.g. working out late or early the next day) or just want to eat some for whatever reason.

seymore4
06-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Nothing is "necessary." Many combinations will work, its just a matter of finding one that you like and that works for you.

Personally I like cottage cheese. I eat a whole cup before bed almost every night. Sometimes I'll cook up some eggs, 2-3 whole eggs and 4 whites.

The advantage of one form over the other is marginal at best.

lth
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
nothing wrong with carbs pre bed....total number of calories make you fat, not eating carbs late...all just amounts to your daily macros