PDA

View Full Version : New and need some help!!

Tim_C
06-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Hey everyone, I have been reading through the forums for a couple weeks now and everyone seems really helpful and knowledgeable so I thought I'd ask for some help. I have been off and on working out since I was a young teen, I am 29 now, 5' 6" and 190lbs. I have pretty good muscle mass, but a pretty good amount of fat around my belly. If you look at me I dont look like I am obese but according to everything I read I need to lose weight! I want to get down to 170ish, I dont want to lose the muscles I have worked so hard for, and I know some think its hard to lose fat w/o losing muscle. I mostly do weights in the gym and have been on a great routine for about 2 months now. I do about 45 mins of weights and then 15-20 mins of cardio. I have no idea about nutrition, I am trying to figure that out. I get totally lost when trying to figure out who to track calories, I started a profile on fitday.com. I have an office job so I sit for about 8 hours a day and I am semi active at home, I do have my hour work out mon-thur and then sat and sun I do light cardio if I can. I think I should be consuming about 2200 calories a day but I am unsure since I work out if that changes the amount of calories I should consume. Could someone help me with how many calories I should be consuming to get to 170 lbs?

My workout it pretty basic, Bics/tris on Monday, legs/back Ttues, Chest/shoulder on Weds, Full Cardio session on Thrus. But I havent lost any weight for 2 months, I am assuming my diet is messing everything up but I can tell my muscles have grown too. My diet is pretty good throughout the week but the weekend I have a lot of trouble.
Thanks for any advice about anything!!!

ShadyRensch
06-04-2008, 07:52 AM
If you have a solid base, that is a good start. As far as calories go, I'd say 2200 is a good place to start, and we can't tell you exactly how much to eat. You need to monitor how much weight you lose on those calories. If you lose more than 1-2 pounds a week, you're going to want to add 100-200 calories, you are going to want to lose it slow to preserve the muscle you've worked on building up.

To track calories go to www.fitday.com. You can enter foods from home by their nutrition labels, or search for foods that are already on their site. It may seem hard at first, but it gets easy quite fast.

If you have trouble on the weekend, that will hamper your fat loss, but you're human like at least 50% off the board on here that aren't actually trying to be pro bodybuilders. Try to clean up the weekends some but you can still live a little, just know if you want to get that extremely lean physique you will have to buckle down at some point.

Hope this helps!

Tim_C
06-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks for your reply Shady, its encouraging to know that not everyone eats like a pro. I am going to try and clean it up on the weekends and I think the fitday will help out. I love working out but I love eating too! I will track my progress with 2200 calories and go from there.
I think this is a great place and I have taken a lot of the things I've learned on this board and have been applying them and its really helped!

ShadyRensch
06-04-2008, 08:19 AM
No prob dude, good luck.