PDA

View Full Version : First time bulk, what am I doing wrong?

Elwood83
06-04-2008, 06:40 AM
I started my first bulk around the 3rd week of April and have put on about 10 lbs. Last night I took measurements, and I've had a big increase in abdominal fat and my overall BF went up 2%. This seems pretty drastic but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. My BMR is 1882 X a fitness factor of 1.55 (run 3 miles, 5 times a week and lift every other day) so my maitenance is 2917. Add 500 calories and I'm at 3417 which is about what I'm getting daily. Attached are screen shots of my average daily diet, macros 43/31/26 (C/P/F). Should I start cutting my calories back a little and see if that helps. Does anyone see anything that I'm doing wrong, or am I over reacting? Thanks!

Elwood83
06-04-2008, 07:27 AM
bump

struck
06-04-2008, 08:05 AM
How many calories were you consuming before you went on the bulk? Add 500 to your the calories you used to consume ago, for weight lifting days, and add 250 for non-workout days.

It shouldn't be all of a sudden though - increase over 2 weeks instead of going for a sudden splurge.

bobbybuilder1
06-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Agreed too many calories, reduce by 500 and see what happends.

bobbybuilder1
06-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Agreed too many calories, reduce by -500 and see what happends.

Elwood83
06-04-2008, 08:40 AM
How many calories were you consuming before you went on the bulk? Add 500 to your the calories you used to consume ago, for weight lifting days, and add 250 for non-workout days.

It shouldn't be all of a sudden though - increase over 2 weeks instead of going for a sudden splurge.
After I got back from Vegas, I went to maintenance for a week, then bumped up 500 cal. I guess 1000 calorie swing in 2 weeks was too much then.

I will. Thanks guys

consciouschef
06-04-2008, 08:41 AM

A 2 year-old could have told OP that.

"I'm getting fat, what do I do?" Try eating less moron.

Elwood83
06-04-2008, 09:08 AM

Thanks for your gracious input. It's my first time doing all this so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Joe Go
06-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Did you increase your water intake when you increased your calorie consumption?

Elwood83
06-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Did you increase your water intake when you increased your calorie consumption?
No, It's stayed consistent (around 2 gallons a day)

lbleiweiss
06-05-2008, 09:35 AM

Don't worry about him he's a dick to everyone. He doesn't understand the saying "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."

Back OT As everyone else has said just add a few hundred cals to what you had been eating previously as it was working for you to maintain.

lth
06-05-2008, 10:09 AM

wow, maybe the unclassiest post i've seen yet on the site....what a ****ing douche, buddy....don't talk down to other people searching for help, thats what these forums are for, especially if you've not got the physique to back up your smartass mouth.

PeoplesChamp11
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
wow, maybe the unclassiest post i've seen yet on the site....what a ****ing douche, buddy....don't talk down to other people searching for help, thats what these forums are for, especially if you've not got the physique to back up your smartass mouth.

ladies ladies ladies

consciouschef
06-05-2008, 07:08 PM

I'm ****ing beautiful, and girls LOVE my body. Thanks though!

underfed
06-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm ****ing beautiful, and girls LOVE my body. Thanks though!

your mother doesn't count

Elwood83
06-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks again for the help guys. I know it seems like a dumb question but I thought I had done things right but the fat gain seemed extreme, so thanks for helping me out. Reps!

Joe Go
06-06-2008, 08:57 AM
No, It's stayed consistent (around 2 gallons a day)

I've been down the 2 gallons of water a day road already. I had to get up 3 times a night messing up my deep sleep. You will be better off at a gallon if your waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

Poor deep sleeps will also cause your recovery from workouts to slow down. You will also see yourself having psychological problems from sleeping problems.

Make sure you take progress pictures. They will help!

SouthsideIrish44
06-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Are you getting stronger on this bulk though?

Maybe you gained some fat but a lotta muscle?

Just a thought :D

Elwood83
06-06-2008, 09:40 AM
I've been down the 2 gallons of water a day road already. I had to get up 3 times a night messing up my deep sleep. You will be better off at a gallon if your waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

Poor deep sleeps will also cause your recovery from workouts to slow down. You will also see yourself having psychological problems from sleeping problems.

Make sure you take progress pictures. They will help!

I was doing ok in that department, but as the weather has gotten hotter I've found myself drinking more water towards bedtime instead of cutting myself off, so that's something I need to work out.

Are you getting stronger on this bulk though?

Maybe you gained some fat but a lotta muscle?

Just a thought :D
It was about a 50/50 split from what I could tell, which is cool that I'm gaining muscle and all but I just dread having to burn off all that fat down the road.