PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys cheat so big once a week and still get good results?

DTrulez616
05-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Im seeing all these cheat threads and I wanna know how you guys can do this and still stay lean?

IWantIt
05-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Not everyone does..but if you work hard and you are dedicated, you'll get where you want to no matter what is in the way. Therefore, enjoy life and bodybuilding.

1. Moderation is key

2. Results are almost insignificant; goals are what will keep you pushing hard.

SheWulf
05-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Think about it... you have a lot of meals each week, how bad can ONE cheat meal be? I personally don't do cheat meals, i just work things in and don't deprive myself.

On the other hand you're young.... you have your metabolism going for you and you're still growing. Enjoy yourself once in a while!

Motivated_402
05-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Im seeing all these cheat threads and I wanna know how you guys can do this and still stay lean?

I've heard/read that upping your cals one day a week (clean or dirty) actually sparks new growth in your diet, + it motivates you to eat clean the rest of the week which = results :)

soundcheck129
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
At 17 years old, you really shouldn't be worrying about following a strict diet to stay lean. While moderation is key, just eat what you enjoy, lift hard, and have fun.

Jules Verne
05-31-2008, 04:34 AM
Think about it... you have a lot of meals each week, how bad can ONE cheat meal be?

Some people are claiming over 2000-3000kcal for one meal and 5000+ for the day.

That's 2 days worth of calories!

I suspect the guys that really stay lean have moderate cheats (maybe an extra 1000-2000kcal for the day) and it does help increase energy levels and motivation. Therefore, really most if not all of those extra calories are used in increasing muscle mass and/or intensity of workouts.

I found this when I started re-feeding every 4-7 days. Although my total calories for the week increased, I lost bodyfat. Not through magic, but by being able to increase intensity of cardio and lifting workouts and being more motivated not to 'mini-cheat' on the other days.

Now those refeeds were moderate - 1-2 days at ~500-800kcal over my usual cutting level - i.e. close to and perhaps just above maintenance.

JoeLyons
05-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Cheats do a very important thing...they raise the thyroid levels for a period of time. I agree with an earlier post...they shouldn't be 5000+ calorie cheats...that's just over doing it and not necessary.

Cheats trick your body into believing that the fast/food depravation is over and allows your thyroid function to elevate again. The survival mode that our bodies go into after a period of low calories gets broken and our bodies let go of fat stores it was saving to maintain life.

I don't believe cheats need to be every week when getting cut, but every 10-14 days will only help in the fat loss department

gatsby121
05-31-2008, 05:00 AM
Think about it... you have a lot of meals each week, how bad can ONE cheat meal be? I personally don't do cheat meals, i just work things in and don't deprive myself.

On the other hand you're young.... you have your metabolism going for you and you're still growing. Enjoy yourself once in a while!

x2

i eat 100% clean for 48 out of my 49 meals per week, then on one i have WHATEVER i want and im still making great progress. 1 meal cant do much, if any damage.

Columbo123
05-31-2008, 05:32 AM
Cheats do a very important thing...they raise the thyroid levels for a period of time. I agree with an earlier post...they shouldn't be 5000+ calorie cheats...that's just over doing it and not necessary.

Cheats trick your body into believing that the fast/food depravation is over and allows your thyroid function to elevate again. The survival mode that our bodies go into after a period of low calories gets broken and our bodies let go of fat stores it was saving to maintain life.

I don't believe cheats need to be every week when getting cut, but every 10-14 days will only help in the fat loss department

check your p,...

truth is many bs.....more than many...the other 75% youd have no idea trained, so there you go

ELugo
05-31-2008, 05:37 AM
Some people are claiming over 2000-3000kcal for one meal and 5000+ for the day.

That's 2 days worth of calories!

I suspect the guys that really stay lean have moderate cheats (maybe an extra 1000-2000kcal for the day) and it does help increase energy levels and motivation. Therefore, really most if not all of those extra calories are used in increasing muscle mass and/or intensity of workouts.

I found this when I started re-feeding every 4-7 days. Although my total calories for the week increased, I lost bodyfat. Not through magic, but by being able to increase intensity of cardio and lifting workouts and being more motivated not to 'mini-cheat' on the other days.

Now those refeeds were moderate - 1-2 days at ~500-800kcal over my usual cutting level - i.e. close to and perhaps just above maintenance.

5000+ on the day? lol try 10000! when i cheat, I CHEAT! and its great...i love every minute of it..from sunrise to sunset. and i still come back the next day, right back on my diet..stronger and more focused than ever.

JoeLyons
05-31-2008, 05:45 AM
check your p,...

truth is many bs.....more than many...the other 75% youd have no idea trained, so there you go

What? "check your p?"

JC480
05-31-2008, 05:47 AM
If you're hovering at 30% bodyfat and trying to cut down, I wouldn't advise these sorts of cheat meals : )

MXdawg2
05-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Careful, the ED police are out.

Moderation and portion control for me. Cheat Meal instead of a cheat day.

Crazy_Desi
05-31-2008, 07:07 AM
If you're hovering at 30% bodyfat and trying to cut down, I wouldn't advise these sorts of cheat meals : )

Why? Isn't it easier to lose weight at 30% bodyfat than say, 12%? I'd say it's better to not do cheat meals at a low body fat than a high bodyfat...

JoeLyons
05-31-2008, 07:16 AM
Why? Isn't it easier to lose weight at 30% bodyfat than say, 12%? I'd say it's better to not do cheat meals at a low body fat than a high bodyfat...

Hence the reason you don't need cheats. Cheats help when you are struggling to loose weight

PhoenixBuff
05-31-2008, 07:26 AM
I find that the more crap I eat, the bigger I get. However, I just don't enjoy most of the typical "cheat" food out there. I eat a pretty bland diet.

MossyOak89
05-31-2008, 07:45 AM
I find that the more crap I eat, the bigger I get. However, I just don't enjoy most of the typical "cheat" food out there. I eat a pretty bland diet.

x2 like 2 nights ago I downed 3/4 of a pan of fudge brownies that I baked, 3 slices of cheesecake, and 1 pint of butter pecan Icecream.

Woke up and my abs were bustin out....its now 2 days later and i look the exact same and my diet is not clean at all. lol Crazy how our bodies handle all the food we put in it. Oh well, i'm not complainin......continuing to get my bulk on baby!!! (dirrty)

WannaBbig!
05-31-2008, 09:11 AM
I train like crazy ;)

realitysfringe
05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Not to mention that pounding down 5000 cals doesn't mean you're going to suddenly gain 2lbs of fat. Calories in do not equal calories retained, and the body can only digest so much at any one time.

Fat people are fat because they pound down calorie dense foods all day long, day in and day out, not because they have some pizza and a piece of cake twice a week.

daniel2k4
05-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Not to mention that pounding down 5000 cals doesn't mean you're going to suddenly gain 2lbs of fat. Calories in do not equal calories retained, and the body can only digest so much at any one time.

Fat people are fat because they pound down calorie dense foods all day long, day in and day out, not because they have some pizza and a piece of cake twice a week.

this is absolutely true.
your body can?t handle all the calories you eat, specially when you down 10kcal or more and your body is used to a 2500-3000 range.
things aren?t as simples as calories in vs. calories out.
Regarding the 'calories in' part, there is the absorption factor.
Personally, when I have a huge cheat meal (I usually have 2 cheats meals on sunday, cuz I eat whatever I want during lunch and dinner) I go to the bathroom like crazy.
So, one or 2 meals out of 40 meals/week won?t affect you.
Fat people are fat because they do this every day.

TheManchild
05-31-2008, 10:50 AM
I think you'd be surprised, the human body does a pretty efficient job of digesting stuff. I would say that hte majority (if not all) of those calories would be digested and used, but i doubt that it would directly lead to a 2lbs fat increase or something. its true that calories in does not exactly lead to gain or w/e but your body would still digest that ****

ELugo
05-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Hence the reason you don't need cheats. Cheats help when you are struggling to loose weight

ummm...yeeeaaaa...lol...I say go ahead and CHEAT! i mean, why not? am i going to walk across the stage of mr. olympia tomorrow? HELL NO! im going to work like the majority of everybody else on here...being so strict all the time will drive any man crazy no matter how they might claim it doesnt...a lot of people on here need to live a little and enjoy some delicious ice cream or some gooey pizza from time to time

JoeLyons
05-31-2008, 12:04 PM
ummm...yeeeaaaa...lol...I say go ahead and CHEAT! i mean, why not? am i going to walk across the stage of mr. olympia tomorrow? HELL NO! im going to work like the majority of everybody else on here...being so strict all the time will drive any man crazy no matter how they might claim it doesnt...a lot of people on here need to live a little and enjoy some delicious ice cream or some gooey pizza from time to time

Oh I agree. But is it a cheat if you're dieting for an event. To me...it's not. I agree if you're not dieting for a show/photo shoot/some kind of contest it's not cheating, it' just eating. :)

I'm with you 100% in the fact that it doesn't make sense to be so strict all the time...life is to short!

ELugo
05-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Oh I agree. But is it a cheat if you're dieting for an event. To me...it's not. I agree if you're not dieting for a show/photo shoot/some kind of contest it's not cheating, it' just eating. :)

I'm with you 100% in the fact that it doesn't make sense to be so strict all the time...life is to short!

EXACTLY!

DamnSheSwole
05-31-2008, 01:24 PM
it's moreso a numbers game really. If you cheat, just expect to makeup for it hard one day, or spread it through the other days to work a little extra, that's all it is i think.

http://b65.us/getbig/smileyface.jpg

JayKL149
05-31-2008, 02:03 PM
As long as you don't go overboard on this one cheat meal a week you will be fine don't go eating 2,000 calories full of trans fat if your body fat is already low and you have been training hard it is fine to treat yourself once a week to a little something.