PDA

View Full Version : Link between drinking milk and increase in igf 1 production

LdnLifter
05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
I keep hearing drinking milk increases igf 1 production.

Can someone link me to reasearch which indentifies/links between milk and igf 1 production.

IGF-WON
05-29-2008, 09:05 AM
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt milk have IGF-1 in it?

user321655
05-29-2008, 09:10 AM
:S i havent heard about igf1 production from milk :S

Weird. I easily drink a minimum of 6 UK pints a day too.

in10city
05-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I keep hearing drinking milk increases igf 1 production.

Can someone link me to reasearch which indentifies/links between milk and igf 1 production.
I'll post up some info later is someone else doesn't. You can go here and search as well: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

If you can get your hands on the Feb-08 issue of Muscular Development, there is an article in it.

LdnLifter
05-29-2008, 09:19 AM
I'll post up some info later is someone else doesn't. You can go here and search as well: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

ok thanks

FlyingIllini
05-29-2008, 09:46 AM
So what are the consequences of getting IGF-1 from milk for bodybuilders ?

IGF-WON
05-29-2008, 10:00 AM

maybe youll get big? google IGF-1 and see what you learn

LdnLifter
05-29-2008, 10:03 AM

* Stimulates muscle growth and has been shown to benefit the heart (a muscle).
* Encourages the absorption of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine Sulfate (also found in Velvet Antler).
* Regenerates nerve tissue
* Helps burn fat, increase protein transport into cells, and reduce protein breakdown
* Improves the production of white blood cells
* Decreases LDL Cholesterol

djansen
04-01-2010, 04:27 PM
So whats the deal with lycopene and IGF-1? if I have a glass of milk pwo and some spuds with ketchup with it am I negating the IGF-1?

in10city
04-01-2010, 05:08 PM
So whats the deal with lycopene and IGF-1? if I have a glass of milk pwo and some spuds with ketchup with it am I negating the IGF-1?
The chances of fruits/veggies or even supplements doing anything to serum IGF-1 are slim if you are healthy.

Mlupi319
04-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Does it matter if it is whole milk, 1%, 2%, or fat free. I am on a cut and Im only drinking water and protein shakes so I am wondering if adding fat free milk to my diet would benefit me???

djansen
04-01-2010, 06:39 PM
The chances of fruits/veggies or even supplements doing anything to serum IGF-1 are slim if you are healthy.

Thanks! so the talk about milk leading to higher IGF-1 are pretty hyped up like most everything lol?

Rogues
04-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I believe it's the casein that does it.

in10city
04-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Thanks! so the talk about milk leading to higher IGF-1 are pretty hyped up like most everything lol?
Milk does appear to increase serum IGF-1, but the significance/correlations of changes in circulating IGF-1 and muscle growth is debatable. The confusion with IGF-1 arises because the collective "IGF-1" actually exists as several different splice variants and is produced in various tissues such as the liver (systemic/ circulating for endocrine action) and in other tissue like muscle (locally produced for autocrine / paracrine action and typically doesn't significantly contribute to what shows up in circulation). It is the locally produced IGF-1 isoforms that appear to have stronger correlations with muscle mass, hypertrophy, and cell repair while high or low circulating IGF-1 is often correlated to the risk of a number of pathological conditions and disease lol. Nonpharmacologically boosting local IGF-1, which creatine and exercise and muscle overload do > boosting circulating IGF-1.

djansen
04-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Milk does appear to increase serum IGF-1, but the significance/correlations of changes in circulating IGF-1 and muscle growth is debatable. The confusion with IGF-1 arises because the collective "IGF-1" actually exists as several different splice variants and is produced in various tissues such as the liver (systemic/ circulating for endocrine action) and in other tissue like muscle (locally produced for autocrine / paracrine action and typically doesn't significantly contribute to what shows up in circulation). It is the locally produced IGF-1 isoforms that appear to have stronger correlations with muscle mass, hypertrophy, and cell repair while high or low circulating IGF-1 is often correlated to the risk of a number of pathological conditions and disease lol. Nonpharmacologically boosting local IGF-1, which creatine and exercise and muscle overload do > boosting circulating IGF-1.

hmmm, I love when you read something and like that milk raises IGF-1 and that source fails to tell you the real story. thanks for clearing this up! so in a sense there are "forms" if you will of IGF-1?

in10city
04-02-2010, 03:26 PM
hmmm, I love when you read something and like that milk raises IGF-1 and that source fails to tell you the real story. thanks for clearing this up! so in a sense there are "forms" if you will of IGF-1?
The IGF-1 gene can transcribe multiple mRNA variants which include IGF-1Ea, IGF-1Eb and IGF-1Ec, that when translated (synthesis of the pre-pro-IGF-1 precursor peptide from the mRNA) and post-translationally modified all yield the same mature IGF-1 peptide/hormone but 3 different E-peptides. Most actions are mediated through mature IGF-1 but the Ec peptide (or a part of it) which is often referred to as endogenous mechano-growth factor (MGF) may have some additional effects. There is some debate as to whether or not endogenous MGF has the same effects seen with synthetic MGF or if they are even molecularly the same.