PDA

View Full Version : Fast food

Dr.Lecter
05-27-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm in a bulking stage, but lack money and cook time. Thus I eat a lot of burgers from BK. Is this alright for bulking? I mean, it gives you lots of calories and some protein too.

dgessler
05-27-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm in a bulking stage, but lack money and cook time. Thus I eat a lot of burgers from BK. Is this alright for bulking? I mean, it gives you lots of calories and some protein too.

It's up to you man. I wouldn't recommend it though. Fast food is full of bad fats and incredible amounts of salt. Definitely stay away if you can.

willldabeast
05-27-2008, 08:18 AM
i dont eat fast food more because of the preservatives, artificial crap, lack of sanitation.
as for lacking money, fast food is definitely more expensive than gettng good food from home

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 08:20 AM
To the op:

Be careful who you listen to on the forums... 99% of the people on here think milk, bread, beef, anything with sugar, etc... are bad for you.

To answer your question, yes you can eat fast food whether you're bulking or cutting and progress well.

Sixpack
05-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Ya no kidding

To the op:

Be careful who you listen to on the forums... 99% of the people on here think milk, bread, beef, anything with sugar, etc... are bad for you.

To answer your question, yes you can eat fast food whether you're bulking or cutting and progress well.

willldabeast
05-27-2008, 08:37 AM
To the op:

of course you can progress, i never said you couldnt. but for me, it involves looking beyond the protein, carbs, and fat.
i would rather put real food in my body. it makes me feel better, progress faster, and saves money.

to say that fast processed food will yield the same exact benefits as sugar, processed crap is ridiculous.

dgessler
05-27-2008, 08:38 AM
To the op:

Your body will not progress well in the long run to say the least. Not to mention all the "bad" fats which will impede your physique in the short run. Dude, it's a dead end to be saying fast food i s alright.

But the fact of the matter is some people don't care about nutrition as much as others. I'll admit I watch my diet pretty damn strictly. Some people really don't care and simply work out a lot, and hardly will gain much fat at all. If you're genetically gifted like that, then go for it if you want. It'll be bad for your long term health, though.

ELugo
05-27-2008, 08:39 AM
To the op:

x3...youre 18...just eat and train..believe me, youll grow. stop thinking so hard about it

dgessler
05-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Let me remind everyone this is the nutrition forum. So the consensus on here is that fast food is fine?

Ok, I ate a ton of fast food when I was in high school too, but after I got my health together and leaned down, all I ever order from these places are grilled chickens and usually don't finish the bread (well, unless I'm extra hammered I'll buy who knows what).

If you make fast food a habit now (and you're not fat, and have a good metabolism), you're setting yourself up for disaster in the long run. Firstly, once your metabolism starts slowing down once you hit your 20's, you'll be in for some surprising weight gain. Two, most of the food at these places are just plain horrendous for our bodies. I for one, want to live as long as possible and will do all I can to do so. Not saying you won't live as long if you feed your body crap all day, but it helps your chances to live a long life if you eat healthy, and you won't have to worry as much at all about heart disease, cancers, etc.

Fast food once in a while is fine I guess, those who make it a regular thing are setting themselves up for disaster.

Maestro
05-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Your body will not progress well in the long run to say the least. Not to mention all the "bad" fats which will impede your physique in the short run. Dude, it's a dead end to be saying fast food i s alright.

But the fact of the matter is some people don't care about nutrition as much as others. I'll admit I watch my diet pretty damn strictly. Some people really don't care and simply work out a lot, and hardly will gain much fat at all. If you're genetically gifted like that, then go for it if you want. It'll be bad for your long term health, though.

X2

eatig fast food to gain weight on a bulk is the very definition of "dirty bulking"

You'll be that one guy that comes back here 6 months later with 30lbs of fat with hardly any muscle to show for it.

just take it slow and steady, if you find you are strapped for cash, then drop the cardio.

ELugo
05-27-2008, 09:08 AM
if anything, stick to moms cooking

livestrong21
05-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Let me remind everyone this is the nutrition forum. So the consensus on here is that fast food is fine?

Ok, I ate a ton of fast food when I was in high school too, but after I got my health together and leaned down, all I ever order from these places are grilled chickens and usually don't finish the bread (well, unless I'm extra hammered I'll buy who knows what).

If you make fast food a habit now (and you're not fat, and have a good metabolism), you're setting yourself up for disaster in the long run. Firstly, once your metabolism starts slowing down once you hit your 20's, you'll be in for some surprising weight gain. Two, most of the food at these places are just plain horrendous for our bodies. I for one, want to live as long as possible and will do all I can to do so. Not saying you won't live as long if you feed your body crap all day, but it helps your chances to live a long life if you eat healthy, and you won't have to worry as much at all about heart disease, cancers, etc.

Fast food once in a while is fine I guess, those who make it a regular thing are setting themselves up for disaster.

good post...reps (ps. go whoos :)
its all personal, find what works for you, I wouldnt suggest a diet of daily double cheeseburgers w/fries and a coke but if you want to have one every now and then its okay. Remember mcdonalds isnt the only place to get a cheeseburger, you can make a healthier one yourself, it would probably taste 100x better, lean ground beef, whatever cheese you want, whatever fixings you like and you know its prepared in a healthy way, not reheated then cooked in grease. Like I said though, if youre starving and on the go and you pass a burger king and you want a damn burger...go for it.

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 11:35 AM

Give me a break.

Unless you're stepping on stage, I'm willing to bet my life you are not, you have no business being strict about anything. Life is short, eat what makes you happy within reason.

As for your bull**** metabolism garbage, give me some proof rather than make claims without validity. Metabolism is about macronutrients + calories in, good lord.

tse
05-27-2008, 11:40 AM

Could you be more specific? - ie are you referring to eating fast food in moderation? If thats the case I agree many people are too strict, but personally I'd feel sick if all I ate was fast food/ it made up the bulk of my diet because of the salts, grease and sugars etc.

willldabeast
05-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Give me a break.

Unless you're stepping on stage, I'm willing to bet my life you are not, you have no business being strict about anything. Life is short, eat what makes you happy within reason.

As for your bull**** metabolism garbage, give me some proof rather than make claims without validity. Metabolism is about macronutrients + calories in, good lord.
thats ok for you. but dont criticize people for wanting to eat healthy and not wanting to put crap in their bodies. since i cleaned up my diet, i feel better all the time and perform much better.
like i have said, sometimes you have to look beyond macronutrients when considering what to eat. eating fast food on a daily basis is not healthy or a good idea, even if you are never gunna compete.

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Could you be more specific? - ie are you referring to eating fast food in moderation? If thats the case I agree many people are too strict, but personally I'd feel sick if all I ate was fast food/ it made up the bulk of my diet because of the salts, grease and sugars etc.

Yes, I'm talking about moderation... I'm not telling the op to go out and pull a "Super-Size" me, I'm saying enjoy food if the opportunity presents itself.

ChiefGuy
05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
(well, unless I'm extra hammered I'll buy who knows what).

Firstly, once your metabolism starts slowing down once you hit your 20's, you'll be in for some surprising weight gain.

Alcohol is far worse for you than fast food and metabolism has been found to decrease about 1% per decade between the ages of 20-60.

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 11:43 AM
thats ok for you. but dont criticize people for wanting to eat healthy and not wanting to put crap in their bodies. since i cleaned up my diet, i feel better all the time and perform much better.
like i have said, sometimes you have to look beyond macronutrients when considering what to eat. eating fast food on a daily basis is not healthy or a good idea, even if you are never gunna compete.

Did I criticize you or anyone who eats healthy? No, I did not.

My point is, there is a fine line between eating healthy because you should and eating healthy because you have to... I'm willing to bet majority of the people here are doing the latter of the two. Which is ridiculous, asinine, and a bit tedious.

tse
05-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Yes, I'm talking about moderation... I'm not telling the op to go out and pull a "Super-Size" me, I'm saying enjoy food if the opportunity presents itself.

In that case agreed.

Alcohol is far worse for you than fast food and metabolism has been found to decrease about 1% per decade between the ages of 20-60.

That's interesting - my parents (my dad eats dinner only) always go on about how they can't eat as much as me and my brother because they're 'older and no longer growing'...guess thats BS then :)

regreb01
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
I know I try not to eat fast food. If i go out its usually to the Ale House which is a central FL sports bar chain. great food there to. If you gotta eat fast food I say Wendys Go Wraps are the best. the grilled chcken wiht honey mustard is amazing

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I know I try not to eat fast food. If i go out its usually to the Ale House which is a central FL sports bar chain. great food there to. If you gotta eat fast food I say Wendys Go Wraps are the best. the grilled chcken wiht honey mustard is amazing

See, this kind of mentality is what results in eating disorders... "If I HAVE to go out."

Jesus, life is short why not enjoy it within reason?

ChiefGuy
05-27-2008, 11:50 AM
That's interesting - my parents (my dad eats dinner only) always go on about how they can't eat as much as me and my brother because they're 'older and no longer growing'...guess thats BS then :)

It's the same perception as thinking people who are skinny have higher metabolism. Must be one pretty big dinner if your dad is not losing weight.

tse
05-27-2008, 11:55 AM
It's the same perception as thinking people who are skinny have higher metabolism. Must be one pretty big dinner if your dad is not losing weight.

Actually he's 6'7, 102kg and eats probably a similar amount daily to me. Maybe 2000-2500 cals daily (sometimes less if it's something like a tuna salad for dinner)

Don't know why he's not losing weight really!

EDIT: I'm 5'9 140lb female...

areya2005
05-27-2008, 12:07 PM
do this.....go to your nearest wholesale bulk market (costco, BJ's, etc.) and buy a huge 25lb bag of perdue chicken...its liek 25 bucks

Take 30 minutes on sunday and grill most of them up, some bbq sauce and ketchup and your golden.

May see a little much, but like eating is no longer fun....it has to be done...GOALS!!!!!!!!

Northman69
05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Once you learn the seceret of grilling food yourself you will never ever ever eat fast food again....

It taste 20 million times better and is bbing friendly, just my 02 cents

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Once you learn the seceret of grilling food yourself you will never ever ever eat fast food again....

It taste 20 million times better and is bbing friendly, just my 02 cents

Your two cents are losing it's prestige... It's about down to a half a cent now.

dgessler
05-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Give me a break.

You have no business to tell me to "not be strict about anything." What makes me happy is not being fat and not feeling like **** after downing a double Q pounder with large fries. So many benefits of eating healthy. I bet you're one of those people who can eat whatever the hell they want and it doesn't show at all on the outside. I'm more susceptible than the average person to gain weight if I eat crappy. Maybe its partly genes, partly because I was overweight when I was younger, could be many things.

So many benefits of eating healthy. Also, I DO eat out a fair amount. I order smartly though, usually nothing fried, and the only slight downside is simply a ton of sodium in my meal which isn't a huge deal if it's not done regularly.

I don't argue with you there, I eat fast food on occasions, but I always order some type of grilled chicken. I do also eat out a moderate amount. You just made it seem like it's fine to eat a bunch of fast food, which is very very untrue.

Did I criticize you or anyone who eats healthy? No, I did not.

My point is, there is a fine line between eating healthy because you should and eating healthy because you have to... I'm willing to bet majority of the people here are doing the latter of the two. Which is ridiculous, asinine, and a bit tedious.

Here I just don't understand what you're trying to say. I know should eat healthy in order to prevent from gaining weight, to get the best results in the gym, to protect my health for the future, etc. That's why I tend to eat healthy throughout the day unless I go out and eat somewhere with some buddies or family (and even then I'll order something decently healthy).

See, this kind of mentality is what results in eating disorders... "If I HAVE to go out."

Why do you like to pound those who actually have some dedication to eat healthy? Unless they're insanely skinny (and even people below the 18.5 on the BMI scale it's been proven aren't risking themselves for diseases etc in the future), what's there to worry about? It is not no damn eating disorder to eat healthy.

People who were overweight in the past are especially susceptible to gaining weight even after they slim down. Genetics also play a role. Some people have it harder than others.

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 12:50 PM
You have no business to tell me to "not be strict about anything." What makes me happy is not being fat and not feeling like **** after downing a double Q pounder with large fries. So many benefits of eating healthy. I bet you're one of those people who can eat whatever the hell they want and it doesn't show at all on the outside. I'm more susceptible than the average person to gain weight if I eat crappy. Maybe its partly genes, partly because I was overweight when I was younger, could be many things.

So many benefits of eating healthy. Also, I DO eat out a fair amount. I order smartly though, usually nothing fried, and the only slight downside is simply a ton of sodium in my meal which isn't a huge deal if it's not done regularly.

I don't argue with you there, I eat fast food on occasions, but I always order some type of grilled chicken. I do also eat out a moderate amount. You just made it seem like it's fine to eat a bunch of fast food, which is very very untrue.

Here I just don't understand what you're trying to say. I know should eat healthy in order to prevent from gaining weight, to get the best results in the gym, to protect my health for the future, etc. That's why I tend to eat healthy throughout the day unless I go out and eat somewhere with some buddies or family (and even then I'll order something decently healthy).

Why do you like to pound those who actually have some dedication to eat healthy? Unless they're insanely skinny (and even people below the 18.5 on the BMI scale it's been proven aren't risking themselves for diseases etc in the future), what's there to worry about? It is not no damn eating disorder to eat healthy.

People who were overweight in the past are especially susceptible to gaining weight even after they slim down. Genetics also play a role. Some people have it harder than others.

U mad? Good lord.

Northman69
05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Your two cents are losing it's prestige... It's about down to a half a cent now.

My .2 cents weight more then your .2 cents. Ah I c your are huge McDonalds fan, glad to see we got somone who likes that ****, god knows the economy could use the help.

dgessler
05-27-2008, 12:53 PM
U mad? Good lord.

You mad that you have nothing to say back?

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh ****

That's exactly what I was thinking while I was scarfing down my Subway sub and still losing weight and maintaining strength. :confused:

Not So Big
05-27-2008, 12:54 PM

Yeah, because we are all a bunch of anorexics in this forum. Big difference between eating clean and developing something as serious as an eating disorder.
Moderation is key, have your fast food as a cheat meal once or twice a week.

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah, because we are all a bunch of anorexics in this forum.

That's pretty much true about the nutrition section... If not anorexics, something very similar.

Marion_Cobretti
05-27-2008, 01:08 PM
i go to mcds sometimes and eat 4 double cheeseburgers, tons of protein, and i get them plain, so there more healthier than regular. there are ways to eat fast food healthier

MossyOak89
05-27-2008, 03:35 PM

x2 man!!! gahhh I can understand if you're very obese and you have a health issue/problem.....sure stay in and cook your own healthy food. But that's about the only circumstance where this whole mentality of ,oohhhh I have to eat every single meal 100% clean and made @ home by me, isn't just completely ridiculous. I am just recovering from and ED and lemme tell you, my life is 100% better now that I don't care what I eat, just as long as it tastes good and makes me happy. I love eating healthy food, but I sure love me some junk too and I'm sure not ever deprivin myself again from some "dirty" food if i'm feelin in the mood for it.

wow, kinda went off on a lil rant there lol sry but geeze...

Sixpack
05-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Ya subway makes you fat lol

-Aaron-
05-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Ya subway makes you fat lol

So that chicken breast sub that was a foot long will ruin my progress? :(

MUFC
05-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Do you really thing the pros eat clean during off season as well?

80% clean-20% dirty, have some fun, enjoy your life, no need to be insanely strict especially when bulking up.

TheWaffleIron
05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
My .2 cents weight more then your .2 cents. Ah I c your are huge McDonalds fan, glad to see we got somone who likes that ****, god knows the economy could use the help.

actually its 2 cents, not .2 cents. and aaron's weighs more.

Sixpack
05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Yes please go run on the treadmill for 6 hours, that chicken is too processed :)

So that chicken breast sub that was a foot long will ruin my progress? :(

regreb01
05-27-2008, 04:51 PM

eating disorder? HA! me? please. i dont get my tofu and alfalfa sprouts then worry that i went over my macros for the day. i eat 5-6times a day. and i keep an open mind about what, with common sense, is bad and what is good. I dont drink the grease out of the McDonalds deepfryer, but i'm not going to cry about braeking diet to enjoy some food and some beers with friends at the sports bar. I'm not a blimp, but I cant see my ribs and elbow bones. 196lbs with 14% body fat is just fine for someone who isn't looking to compete but just live a healthy lifestyle and look good/jacked while doing it. Half you guys on the nutrition section crack me up. 145lbs bitchin about that subway footlong u just ate. gimme a break. when u win Mr. O at 145lbs then let me know and i'll stop eating.

if that isnt what u were talking about then my bad, but i had to bitch about something so there it is .