PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shakes, who can take them?

Samamo
05-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone just wondering if it is ok to drink Protein shakes when your trying to lose weight as well as keep the muscle you have. I'm in college and there isn't a whole lot of meat that isn't deep fried or what have you so I feel im lacking in the protein department but I have always seen Protein shakes as something only serious weight lifters use to gain mass/muscle. Will I gain weight from this. Don't mind if it's muscle :P I do strength exercise dvd 4x a week (Jillian Michaels) with some dumbbells in my dorm but nothing too serious/heavy (4.5-22lbs). Is this a good, safe way to bump up my protein and use after my workout? Is my level of workout not advanced enough for me to see any benefits and just gain fat? Thanks for helping out a noob :)

gekkoboy14
05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey everyone just wondering if it is ok to drink Protein shakes when your trying to lose weight as well as keep the muscle you have. I'm in college and there isn't a whole lot of meat that isn't deep fried or what have you so I feel im lacking in the protein department but I have always seen Protein shakes as something only serious weight lifters use to gain mass/muscle. Will I gain weight from this. Don't mind if it's muscle :P I do strength exercise dvd 4x a week (Jillian Michaels) with some dumbbells in my dorm but nothing too serious/heavy (4.5-22lbs). Is this a good, safe way to bump up my protein and use after my workout? Is my level of workout not advanced enough for me to see any benefits and just gain fat? Thanks for helping out a noob :)

use ur deductive reasoning and try to figure that out. its quite simple really

Samamo
05-26-2008, 09:10 PM
I guess a brand like Muscle Milk would be bad for weight loss very high in fat. Yeah gekkoboy :P I guess I just wanna know if people here drink them even on a cut. And seeing as I can't find a better protein source I guess it would be ok to have.

I'm just confused with the Casein, whey and blend differences that people talk about...

Dr. Horse
05-26-2008, 09:21 PM
How much protein are you getting in your diet while avoiding the really bad stuff?

Samamo
05-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Well I'd guess about 60g.

Shinjan
05-26-2008, 09:39 PM
try about 200 g per day lol.. i doubt its that low though seriously

www.fitday.com try it there

Dr. Horse
05-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Well I'd guess about 60g.

Is milk available and can you drink it? Or does that number already include a significant amount of milk?

Cuz you can drink a pint with each meal and that'll get you another 60 or so grams of protein a day (assuming 3 meals). 120g a day is plenty for your purpose.

Samamo
05-26-2008, 10:45 PM
I already used nutrition guides to get the number Shinjan :)

I get my protein from;
Breakfast: 4 Weet-bix, Cup of skim milk
Lunch:Ham and salad sandwich

and dinner was assuming I had another ham and salad sandwhich which is not always the case sometimes just vegies (I feel like I've hit the jackpot if there is Brocoli but usually just beetroot,cucumber and tomato.The last two days they have even taken away the normal ham option and there is some mystery meat there instead...looks like ham with white crap mixed in :( Nasty.

Pisses me off cos I am paying $220 a week to board here. So for lunch and dinner with my vegies ive been having a jam sandwich which is nice but you know im getting worried about the sugar content. I hate not being able to control what I have, measure and count calories but I will stop whining now :)

But we will just pretend that I have a ham sandwich at dinner and you get about 60g protein. Lately I've been bringing yogurt for late night suppose that is another 8g...still I think it needs to be a lot more.

Samamo
05-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Is milk available and can you drink it? Or does that number already include a significant amount of milk?

Cuz you can drink a pint with each meal and that'll get you another 60 or so grams of protein a day (assuming 3 meals). 120g a day is plenty for your purpose.

You can only have it at breakfast or in coffee..

bjmalin
05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
one word...TUNA! this is a great cheap protein. It is usually under 50 cents a can, and 1 can has over 30g protein. I eat around 10 - 15 cans a week...thats only like 5-7 bucks. Search the recipe section for different ways to make it.

Samamo
05-26-2008, 11:54 PM
one word...TUNA! this is a great cheap protein. It is usually under 50 cents a can, and 1 can has over 30g protein. I eat around 10 - 15 cans a week...thats only like 5-7 bucks. Search the recipe section for different ways to make it.

Ugh I hate tuna! But I do like salmon :) I would have that but it would stink up my room and the bins only get emptied once a week >.< Don't want my hallway mates to hate me :P

bjmalin
05-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Ugh I hate tuna! But I do like salmon :) I would have that but it would stink up my room and the bins only get emptied once a week >.< Don't want my hallway mates to hate me :P

LOL..I know what ya mean about the smell...my kids hate it when I go on a tuna kick!