PDA

View Full Version : My diet...any suggestions would be appreciated

ws65
05-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 170
I calculated my BMR at 1741.2.

I want to gain muscle and have started on the Rippetoe workout.
Please tell me if I'm still too high or too low on the calories (I do have a pretty fast metabolism, and I'm not going to worry about the "skinny fat" around my belly and back...the workouts and diet should take care of that, I hope).

Heres the diet a came up with after several suggestions from the good people in the over 35 forum. They told me I should eliminate my skim milk intake, however, I have two gallons of it now and don't want it to go to waste...any suggestions where I might insert another 8 oz glass here or there?

Meal #1: Breakfast = 5 Medium Eggs (whites only), 1 slice Whole Wheat Bread, 1 Tbl spoon margarine (no trans fats, non-hydrogenated), 8 oz glass of skim milk (I might change this to three whites and two whole eggs)

Meal #2: 3 hours later = 1 can albacore tuna, 1 Tbl spoon Non-Fat Mayo

Meal #3: 3 hours after meal 2 = 2 slices Whole Wheat Bread, 2 Tbl spoons Natural Peanut Butter

Meal #4: 3 hours after meal 3 = 1 can albacore tuna, 1 Tbl spoon Non-Fat Mayo

Meal #5: 3 hours after meal 4: Dinner = 1 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, 6 Broccoli Florets (which is about 1 whole broccoli crown), 1 Cup Brown Rice

Meal #6: 1 Cup Brown Rice (pre-workout)

Meal #7: 1 Scoop ON 100% Whey (post-workout), 1 Banana

Totals
Calories = 2220
Protein = 220.9 g
Carbs = 225 g
Fat = 42.9 g

Is what I have listed for each meal good? or should I always have a protein source with each meal?

Thanks all

alvinali6
05-25-2008, 11:57 PM
if you do really want to lose bodyfat, i think it's wise to reduce the carbs portion.

good luck

ws65
05-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks alvinali6, funny, the first diet plan I had (last week) was
Calories = 2815
Protein = 300.4 g
Carbs = 271 g
Fat = 57.4 g
The people in the over 35 forum said that was too high and that I should have a bit less protein so that it was closer to the carb intake...do you think the diet I had last week would be better (I can post exactly what the food is if that will make answering the question easier)
Thanks

ws65
05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Can anyone else give me some advice?

Oak-As 916
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
That actually looks really good. I would maybe switch out one of the tuna meals for some other protein. (You will get sick of tuna). This actually looks similar to my diet.

ws65
05-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks Oak...believe it or not I actually really like tuna :)
Are the carbs a little high?

The Lone Wolf
05-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I would say give the Ketogenic diet a go my friend , you will lose alot of fat if you combine it with proper training .

ws65
05-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks LoneWolf, however, I don't have a whole lot of fat to get rid of...I'm trying to add muscle and some size and I don't mind gaining some weight. I think for my height that I can go up in weight some.
With my BMR @ 1741.2 I calculate that to gain some weight I should take in 500 more calories per day above that...with the following diet I will be at 432 calories above my BMR. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have switched things a little bit to give me more protein and less carbs (I'm thinking less carbs than protein will give me better muscle growth, again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Meal #1: Breakfast = 5 Medium Eggs (3 whites, 2 yolk), 1 slice Whole Wheat Bread, 1 Tbl spoon margarine (no trans fats, non-hydrogenated), 8 oz glass of skim milk

Meal #2: 3 hours later = 1 can albacore tuna, 1 Tbl spoon Non-Fat Mayo

Meal #3: 3 hours after meal 2 = 2 slices Whole Wheat Bread, 2 Tbl spoons Natural Peanut Butter, 1 Banana

Meal #4: 3 hours after meal 3 = 1 can albacore tuna, 1 Tbl spoon Non-Fat Mayo

Meal #5: 3 hours after meal 4: Dinner = 1 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, 6 Broccoli Florets (which is about 1 whole broccoli crown), 1 Cup Brown Rice

Meal #6: 1 Scoop ON 100% Whey pre-workout*

Meal #7: 1 Scoop ON 100% Whey post-workout*

*I have to work out late due to my schedule

Calories = 2174
Protein = 227.9 g
Carbs = 167 g
Fat = 49.9 g

The timing sucks a little for me because I usually eat dinner about 5 pm so there might be a bit of a gap before I work out...I do have a half hour break at 7:30 (might be able to squeeze dinner or a different meal in there). Do you all suggest that I move some stuff around because of this?
Please, any advice is GREATLY appreciated.