PDA

View Full Version : Am I eating too much?

HealthyPirate
05-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey y'all I'm new to the forum world. Have been lifting for years now and have had some major setbacks due to surgery's. I'm back into the swing of it and am injury free going on 2 years. I'm currently 6'1 198lbs and roughly 6% bf. I'm trying to make some moderate lean gains this summer without getting over hopefully no more than 10% bf. I don't plan on taking a creatine. I am about to start running M-1 Bol and 17-Bol for the next 10 weeks. I lift 6 days a week: 5 primary lift days, and on Saturdays we do the 300 workout for a total body anaerobic cardio trip. Run about 2 miles when i get up at 7, lift for an hour and small change mid-day followed by abs every other day, and run another 2 miles at about 10pm. I lift with VERY high intensity, I do wear a heart rate wristwatch and don't let my HR drop under 140 in my workouts.

That said, here is a sample of what i eat:

7am: 25g protein shake

8:45am:1 cup milk, 1 English muffin, toasted, with peanut butter, 1.5 cups egg beaters

10:30am: 46g whey protein shake

12:15pm: 10 oz steak, 1 cup brown rice

2pm: 46 g whey shake. pre workout.

5pm: post workout. 46g whey shake w. 1 cup fruit and 1 cup brown rice

6:30pm: 6 oz salmon steak, small salad w 1tsp lt italian dressing, 1 cup oatmeal

8:15pm: 23g whey shake

9pm: 4 oz baked turkey, 2 tbsp peanut butter

11:30pm: 23g whey shake, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup low fat milk

3am: 30g casein based shake

I am drinking between 1.5 and 2 gallons of water a day, and taking the m-1/17-bol doses at 7am, roughly 2pm, and around 9pm. I split 1 multivitamin at 10am and 10 pm. Take with last meal for nighttime supplementation. Take flax seed after morning run.

How does that sound? Too harsh, too much, not enough? I recently got dipped in the pool at the sports rehab place so i know the bf and weight are accurate (morning dry weight), from whatever that test they do.

Input is mooooore than welcomed

patelucr
05-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forums, You should find allot of information. Remember what works for one person, might not work for another. So, Your gain to mass, I would say, kick out that protein shakes out of your diet, spend your money on more meats & carbs. I used to have a program like yours when I start out in this lifestyle. Until i met this man, yes a man, he told me, big you want to be strong, you must eat.

eat 6 meals. MEAT, CARBS, VEGS, . no need for protein shakes.

some of guys cook everything in bulk, mostly the meats and rice.

good luck.

Dr. Horse
05-21-2008, 06:54 PM
You are drinking ton protein powder- why?

Your diet has a paucity of fruits and vegetables- why?

chuckyhol
05-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Man, I concur. This is my firm belief, and someone may say i'm wrong. I'm only just adjusting to this style of diet, but live and learn right?

As long as you are working out, to the BEST of your ability, keeping fit, keeping active, then it's going to be hard for you to put on bad weight (unless you are eating unhealthily).

My advice, like the above poster:

Eat big.
Eat often (6 meals a day).
Eat healthily.

And you will succeed. Now, when you're planning on cutting down, that's an entirely different ball game, but if you just want to be strong and healthy, this works.

HealthyPirate
05-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Im a big fan of the enzymes coming from fruit, primarily pineapple is what I eat. I am not trying to gain quickly. I am trying to keep my bf still where it is now, ~5.5%. So I guess I have to go ahead and confess I am treading deep water: trying to gain and still keep my body in a cut stage. Eating like that, w/o the m-1 and 17-bol, I am putting on roughly 1lb every 10 days or so. I will probably start introducing more complex carbs and hard food products once i get my hands on the new goodies. Im thinking about increasing portions of the solid foods by 30-40% to get more in. Protein shakes are in there for that reason, additional protein. That and my metabolism is in hyperdrive and i get hungry 30 minutes after every meal.

patelucr
05-21-2008, 07:29 PM
enzymes, LOL

enzymens are in EVERYTHING , that are FRESH and RIPE.

leave a candy bar out for months, still looks the same,

leave a tomato out for months, will be eaten away, by enzymes.

eat raw vegs. eat yogurt. eat fresh fruits.

when your shopping, buy every single veg and fruit in the store.

dont like the taste?

what level you wanna take your health to?

enjoy.

HealthyPirate
05-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Dont feel like getting the source from the nutritionist... but theres some specific thing in pineapple that increases protein synthesis, like I said though its my favorite fruit. Im more concerned about where/what meals to be increasing. Still wanting to keep carbs down to a reasonable amount. End goal is to be about 210. So thats still another 10-12lbs, but im not looking for immediate size. Im looking more into 2-3 month results and being 210 and still having minimal bf.

Cronos1247
05-22-2008, 07:25 AM
You only sleep 4 hours a night? Or you wake up at 3am and have this shake?

HealthyPirate
05-22-2008, 07:31 AM
waking up to drink it. Just set my alarm for 3, half the time I wake up in the morning and think I forgot to take it but managed to sleepwalk it. I work at a bar some nights till 3 or 4 on the weekends, but i makeup the sleep in the day.

Cronos1247
05-22-2008, 07:35 AM
ah I gotcha. I think if you just do 1 scoop of Casein and maybe 1-2 TBSP of natty pb before going to bed you should be ok though, about a 7 hour digestion rate. As far as everything else, I would definitely say too much whey though, try dropping your meals to maybe 7-8 instead of 11.

On a side note: What's the 300 workout entail? I need something to fill my Saturday time slot with. You have a link to the routine?

2 D
05-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Way too many shakes mate.

Whole food > Shakes any day of the week. Keep whey for preworkout or postworkout, you don't even need whey, but if you're gonna use it, use it around your workouts.

Throw some meats in there. Also your fats are lacking, throw a chicken breast in there or just eat some nuts, olive oil, avocado or some other source of fat. You seem relatively low on fats, you are getting plenty of carbs though, so if Low fat works for you, then stick with it. Go low fat or low carb, but NEVER both regardless of goals. Monitor weight & bf to see whether you should drop cals, if so I'd recommend dropping some of your carb sources first and foremost.

You could go low fat, moderate carbs and high protein, or low carbs, moderate fat & high protein, up to you. Calorie wise I estimated around 3,300 calories.

Based on these...

Whey shake ~100 cals (x9) = 900 cals
Steak ~400-600 cals
Oats ~ 150 cals
Brown Rice ~150 cals per serving (x5) = 750
Egg Beats ~150 cals
English Muffin ~120 cals
Caesin ~140 cals
Milk ~100 cals (x2)
Fruit cup ~80-120 cals
Turkey ~100 cals
Fish ~120 cals
P.B. ~170 cals (x3) = 250 cals

Those are very rough estimates as it varies from product to product, in my experiences those are close to what I eat from those sources. Depends on types of meats etc. I could be off by a few hundred cals, but I should be pretty close.

That is a relatively high cal count for someone your size, however you seem very active, so it's not a big deal at all.

Basically if you're not losing size/strength, not gaining weight and don't appear to be losing definition I would say the diet overall looks decent. May want to lower carbs a bit in favor of a few more fats though, but otherwise it's good because the carbs will help w/an active person such as yourself.

HealthyPirate
05-22-2008, 08:05 AM
That helps alot, I hadnt even taken fats into consideration. Deli down the road sells 10lbs chicken breast, 10lb pork chops, 10lbs steak, 10lbs trout, and 10lbs lean ground beef for $100, so I'll be replacing some of the shakes with more meats.

Should I be taking in something like oatmeal for the meats? Fruit/Veggie? or some type of fat or carb? First places I see to replace the shakes are the early morning and post dinner meals. Would more chicken/fruit be better.

I know the pork and ground beef arent prime choices, but 50lbs of fresh meat for $100 is hard to look away from.

But strength has been steadily increasing, bf is still slowly crawling down, and size is creeping up as well. Hoping the addition of the M-1 bol and 17-Bol will help with increasing lean gains. Thats what I took for 2 months starting 10 months after tearing the labrum in my shoulder. Got me back up to 180 from 140 in a matter of 2 months, some of which was muscle memory, but i was in a sling for 6 months... so I still lost alot of muscle.

Quick question, wrong forum i know. Looking to bulk front quad sweeps and ass. Blasting front squats now, any other mass movement I should be looking into?

Cronos1247
05-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Dead Lifts definitely.

HealthyPirate
05-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Heres a link to the MF site on it: http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=5e1790ecab7e1110VgnVCM20000012281eac____

Averaging around 22 minutes

Cronos1247
05-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Ah awesome, wow the floor sweeping one looks like a good recipe for death via barbell. Did you go straight to doing it like they are with the 135 weight and everything or did you practice form first with just the bar, etc?

ProGoal
05-22-2008, 09:25 AM
$100 bucks if you are 6% and almost 200lbs

HealthyPirate
05-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Do the floor sweeps in a cage, learnt it the hard way. Set the rails 12 inches off the ground so you are still holding the weight. If you drop it then you still live. Still working on photos, no camera

Cronos1247
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Gotcha. Thanks for the tip =)

Can't wait to try this out Saturday. Though, a 24 inch box, that might be tricky to find no?

HealthyPirate
06-03-2008, 10:39 AM
bump

replaced all but the late night and post workout shakes with solid foods. cutting out carbs after 4pm, but increasing carb intake early in the day (still only 100-140g a day). lifting at 9am now