PDA

View Full Version : Clean Bulk Diet..Please critique

rsjagtia
05-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Hey people,

I'm 5' 7", 22 years old male @ 158 lbs at 18% BF. I want to hit 165 lbs and at 10-12% BF in about 6 months. I'm looking to build lean muscle and burn fat so i need to bulk, but not too much. My Diet is the following:

Meal 1 ( 9 am) :
=================
- 1 Scoop Optimum 100% Whey Protein + 5 oz water
- 1 Packet Quaker Oats Instant Oatmeal, Low Sugar + 4.5 oz 2% Milk

Meal 2 (12 pm):
===============
Salad consisting of:
- 30 g Raw Spinach (Fresh Express)
- 1/5th can of Trader Joes Marinated 3 Bean Salad
- 0.3 lb of Grilled Thin Chicken Breast Tenders (Grilled using George Forman Grill and Fat Free Spray)
- 1/5th can of Sliced Black olives from Trader Joes

Meal 3(2:30 pm):
=================
Sandwich consisting of:
- Trader Joes California Style Protein Bread
- 0.1 lb of Deli Turkey
- 1 Tbsp of Hummus or Trader Joes Roasted Red Pepper Spread

Meal 4 (Pre Work Out 5:30 pm):
==============================
- Optimum Nutrition Diet Protein Bar

Meal 5(Post Work out 8-8:30 pm):
=================================
- 2 Scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey + 8 oz Water

Meal 6 (After 15-20 min of Shake):
==================================
- 1 Rotiland Roti (Pita)

- Indian Food that is home cooked consisting of:
- Half White Onion
- Cumin Seeds and Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon of Canola Oil
- Half Can of Sodium Free Kidney Beans, ChickPeas or Half Packet of Frozen Veggies like okra, Green beans etc
- Spices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Water as necessary

- One Cup of Trader Joes Fat Free Greek Style Yoghurt

Meal 7 (11:30-12:00 am):
=======================
- 3 Hardboiled egg whites with 1.5 tea spoon of Tomato Ketchup

Water Consumption through the Day : 80 - 100 oz + 40 oz during Gym = approx 120 oz a day

Supplements: 9 x 1000 mg Fish oil Gels / day
1 x 200 mcg Chromium Picolinate / day
1 x 1000 mg Vitamin C Caps

Total cals: 2400
Amount of Protein : 183 g
Macros (32%, 45%, 25%)

Workout Regimen
=============

Monday:
======
45 Minute Intense Weight Training + 10 minute Abs

Tuesday:
=======
HIIT on Elliptical (Heart Rate between 150 bpm and 189 bpm)

Wednesday:
=========
Weights + Abs (As Monday)

Thursday:
========
HIIT

Friday:
=====
Weights + Abs

Saturday:
=======
Moderate Jogging (7.0 mph for 25 mins on elliptical)

Sunday:
=======
Rest Day

Does this seem to make sense, or am i WAY off?

Based on my activity i need about 2600 cals to maintain my weight. But i want to drop the Fat and build the muscle, so i'm not sure if should eat SLIGHTLY below maintenance or at maintenance. I have some SLOW metabolism so i'll crank it up slowly. I'm on a 2 week trial with this plan. Any thoughts?

Most calculators say i should do 2200 cals for Fat loss, but i've been doing that for 3 months and had 6 days of Cardio there. I lost 4 lbs of lean muscle mass and 2 lbs of Fat which is not good. Thanks people. I really appreciate it.

rsjagtia
05-20-2008, 08:07 PM
bump...

BigRep51
05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
That's not a bulking cycle, that's more like a cutting cycle. You can cut your current bodyfat down with that cycle but you probably won't gain muscle very fast on it, if at all.

amardeus
05-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Fix meal 4 and 5. Other then breakfast these are you two other most important meals. For meal 4 you should be getting a lot more then just a Protein bar. Get at least 35g protein in that meal. For meal 5 instead of mixing with water mix with milk, you will get more protein and vitamins. This should also bump your calories up a bit so you can gain muscle.

You should also add something to your last meal a cup of milk or something higher in protein. You are only getting like 15g of protein before bed, get at least 25.

And remember whole foods are always better then supplements so if you have the chance eat regular food and use supplements as an addition. I only have one meal which is a supplement only and its my pre-bed meal.

One more thing, it sounds as if you want to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Unless you are a genetic freak thats impossible. So you have to do one at a time. With your body fat a clean bulk should be fine.

rsjagtia
05-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. So the idea here is i dont want to become huge, just cut. So the PRIMARY objective is fat burn and the SECONDARY objective is muscle building. I realize they go hand in hand. However, do you guys think i should up my calories to say 2600 (Maintenance) and add more protein in doing so (Like suggested, mix with milk) and perhaps add Chicken for Meal 4 maybe? I just dont want to add to the FAT pounds i have already. Ideally i'd like to be at around 165 ish but at 10% BF as i said earlier. i'm just a little apprehensive because i've ruined the last 3 months because my BF % has shot up by about 3.5% due to the loss in muscle.

According to the math 10% BF @ 165 lbs = 16.5 lbs of Body Fat

Right now i'm at 18% @ 159 lbs = 28 lbs of Body Fat

Implying i need to loose about 11 lbs of Pure Fat

I believe muscle is 4 times heavier than fat

Thus, I need to loose 11 lbs of Fat and Gain about 4-5 lbs of pure muscle.

Does this sound doable in 4-6 months and an updated diet as you guys suggested?

rsjagtia
05-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Fix meal 4 and 5. Other then breakfast these are you two other most important meals. For meal 4 you should be getting a lot more then just a Protein bar. Get at least 35g protein in that meal. For meal 5 instead of mixing with water mix with milk, you will get more protein and vitamins. This should also bump your calories up a bit so you can gain muscle.

You should also add something to your last meal a cup of milk or something higher in protein. You are only getting like 15g of protein before bed, get at least 25.

And remember whole foods are always better then supplements so if you have the chance eat regular food and use supplements as an addition. I only have one meal which is a supplement only and its my pre-bed meal.

One more thing, it sounds as if you want to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Unless you are a genetic freak thats impossible. So you have to do one at a time. With your body fat a clean bulk should be fine.

Wow, that clears up a lot of mystery. So loosing FAT AND gaining muscle at the same time is not possible is it? Well i thought people have gotten leaner which gives the appearance as if pure body fat has dropped. I guess it just means their weight has gone up due to the muscle mass.

Can you please elaborate what a clean bulk is? Sorry i'm a n00b.

If i crank up the cals to say about 2600-2700 or so with the changes you suggested, my weight should go up due to increase in muscle mass right? Does that cause my body to help in burning fat?

amardeus
05-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Wow, that clears up a lot of mystery. So loosing FAT AND gaining muscle at the same time is not possible is it? Well i thought people have gotten leaner which gives the appearance as if pure body fat has dropped. I guess it just means their weight has gone up due to the muscle mass.

Can you please elaborate what a clean bulk is? Sorry i'm a n00b.

If i crank up the cals to say about 2600-2700 or so with the changes you suggested, my weight should go up due to increase in muscle mass right? Does that cause my body to help in burning fat?

Yes it is impossible, but it is possible to gain muscle and lower your body fat % if you clean bulk.

I would suggest clean bulk with the diet you posted plus some corrections. You need to figure out your calorie maintenance and go about 500 calories over that for a clean bulk. And just see how your body reacts to it. If you wont be gaining anything raise calories, if gaining too much fat lower it.

People might look more muscular when they lose fat, and thats probably where you are making the assumption.

A clean bulk is putting on muscle with very little fat.

I suggest you clean bulk for a few months and see what happens and then you can go for a cut and try to lose the fat. Losing fat also causes muscle loss and the goal is to minimize that. When you are at that point we can help you out some more.

And don't neglect the milk, milk is a great source of vitamins and protein. I drink 4-6 cups a day.

rsjagtia
05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh, I see what you mean now. Hmm, so if i keep the clean bulk going, my weight will slowly go up. Say i do that for 3 months and hit about 170-175 lbs while say maintaining fat. Then i'll be at 16% BF. After that i'll have to go on a cut, where i try to sustain the muscle, but burn the fat right? Wow so i bulk for 2 months, cut for 2 months. That seems like a doable thing.

So between Jan - March of this year i did go on a bulk and my BF% did hit about 14.8 % But i had lots of strength and a heck of a lot more muscle. Then i went on a so called cut but instead of loosing the fat, i lost the muscle. I think i went wrong in my cut because my calorie deficit was way to high since i was doing 6 days of Cardio + 500 below maintenance. My Maintenance is about 2500. I think i should have slowed it down by doing a routine similar to what i'm doing now and then keeping the cals at about 2200 like i did.

what if i Cut properly now? Say i am willing to sustain a bit of muscle lost, and i start dropping the fat. THen i should theoretically get to a point where say i lost say 5 lbs more, but most of that is Fat. THat way i'd be at :

23 lbs of Fat - implies 154 lbs of body weight = 14.9%!

If i do a clean bulk from there on in as you suggested, then i could increase my size back to 165 (From 154..while maintaining about 23lbs of fat) ...which would get me to about 13.7% BF. Then i can cut again to drop the fat.