PDA

View Full Version : Protein between weight lifting and cardio? Good/Bad Idea?

zakatov
05-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry if this has been talked about before, but the search is down ATM, so please bear with me.

Here's the routine I'm doing right now:

1 hour before workout: 30g protein/30g low GI carbs

workout:
1-1.5 hr weights
40 min cardio (interval, ~500-600 cal burned)

post-workout: 40g protein/25g high GI carbs/4g creatine

I want to add a protein shake (~25g protein/130 cal) between the weight lifting and cardio portions of my workout to kick-start recovery/muscle synthesis and to reduce catabolism during cardio.

My question is: will it do what I want it to do or is it unnecessary and counterproductive to the cardio that I do to lose fat?

Thank You.

Sixpack
05-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Make sure to eat a solid meal 60min prior first, then during i like to sip on BCAA's instead of whey, If you don't feel any discomfort during lifting go for it .

zakatov
05-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Make sure to eat a solid meal 60min prior first, then during i like to sip on BCAA's instead of whey, If you don't feel any discomfort during lifting go for it .

I'm already eating an hour pre-workout. I'm not sure what you're suggesting I do differently there. Also, I want to have the protein after lifting, before cardio, so your comment about discomfort during lifting is kinda confusing. I appreciate your response, I guess I just need a little clarification.

in10city
05-18-2008, 10:52 AM
lol... the Search works fine :)

Consume your recovery drink after your weight+cardio combined session as doing otherwise can diminish the fat burning effects of the cardio and can diminish the recovery benefits of the feeding. Since you're still exercising, digestion will not be a top priority for the body. And what is has the potential to be used to fuel the exercise and not fuel recovery.

If you have concerns, consume an intra-exercise drink containing some EAAs/BCAAs/WPH since these will not need to undergo the normal digestive process like an intact protein would.

zakatov
05-18-2008, 12:17 PM
If you have concerns, consume an intra-exercise drink containing some EAAs/BCAAs/WPH since these will not need to undergo the normal digestive process like an intact protein would.

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

dbx
05-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Good, because it was the perfect answer :)