PDA

View Full Version : "What's wrong with what we eat" video

NoodlePDX
05-16-2008, 06:49 PM
I came across this talk today and would be really interested to hear thoughts from the community here:

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/263
Length: 20 minutes

About this talk:
In this fiery and funny talk, New York Times food writer Mark Bittman weighs in on what's wrong with the way we eat now (too much meat, too few plants; too much fast food, too little home cooking), and why it's putting the entire planet at risk.

NoodlePDX
05-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm assuming the bodybuilding community is an exception to some of the recommendations in this video (e.g. eat only 1/2 lb. of meat per WEEK) as it is a sport and profession for some.

However I am still curious what one would use as their primary protein source if not for lean meats -- cottage cheese, PB and ... TOFU?! (by the way I don't think I've even once seen mention of tofu on these forums...is that a taboo subject around here?)

willldabeast
05-16-2008, 08:20 PM
i was gunna watch it, but dont want to spend 20 mins...got some cliffs???

also, tofu is good if you like it. i bbq it sometimes but definitely prefer the taste of meat.

Belloc
05-17-2008, 12:52 PM
I've been cutting on the amount of meat I eat... and no, it's not because of the price it's because I've been trying to eat more fish and more vegetables

what I've seen and what my professors taught can't be denied so +vegies+fruits+fish -meat

I've also cut out milk and dairy products altogether

I feel I have to get my priorities straight as I will never be a pro bodybuilder, I will never compete in bodybuilding so I just want to have a healthy diet

good link btw

-Aaron-
05-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Crap.

willldabeast
05-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Crap.

ha thanks for the summary.

NoodlePDX
05-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Crap.

haha not quite the constructive feedback i was looking for, but to each his own :)

I feel I have to get my priorities straight as I will never be a pro bodybuilder, I will never compete in bodybuilding so I just want to have a healthy diet

same here. i found this talk very insightful as to what we as consumers should be taking into consideration when purchasing food.

NoodlePDX
05-17-2008, 01:42 PM

the talk covers many points from how the average american diet has changed over the last 100 years (very interesting), to how what we choose to eat is impacting the environment (carbon footprint of farms/pastures), to the growing popularity of locavores (those who only buy local foods).

one of the points the speaker touches on throughout the talk is how we are consuming way too much meat. this was primarily the point i was hoping to see what other's thoughts were.

-Aaron-
05-17-2008, 01:45 PM
the talk covers many points from how the average american diet has changed over the last 100 years (very interesting), to how what we choose to eat is impacting the environment (carbon footprint of farms/pastures), to the growing popularity of locavores (those who only buy local foods).

one of the points the speaker touches on throughout the talk is how we are consuming way too much meat. this was primarily the point i was hoping to see what other's thoughts were.

This is a bodybuilding website, if you don't want to eat meat that's fine, but you can't deny you need protein for growth.

NoodlePDX
05-17-2008, 01:47 PM
This is a bodybuilding website, if you don't want to eat meat that's fine, but you can't deny you need protein for growth.

hence my statement at the very beginning of the post "I'm assuming the bodybuilding community is an exception to some of the recommendations in this video (e.g. eat only 1/2 lb. of meat per WEEK) as it is a sport and profession for some."

the community here is very knowledgeable when it comes to nutrition so i was just posting to see what people's (constructive) thoughts were. don't get me wrong i like my meat and am not denying the fact that it is needed for growth :)

AptoSupero
05-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Good post. Like you said, 1/2 lb wouldn't work for many people here, but the info on the trends of eating was very interesting. Its amazing to see how much things have changed. And unfortunetly the crappier we ate, the less active we became.

Dr. Horse
05-17-2008, 05:48 PM
the community here is very knowledgeable when it comes to nutrition

Bwaaahahaahahaha!

US_Ranger
05-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I eat 1 can of tuna a day and usually 1 salmon steak every couple of days. That's my only meat consumption for the week. However, the invention of whey protein isolates makes that all possible.

And yes, tofu is good. It's very good.