PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe going to surpass Michael?

MesoPeaks
05-10-2008, 03:34 AM
I know Jordan is already a legend and one and only, but could possibly Kobe surpass his greatness and remarkable stats. Or I am being pedantic by comparing the two? lol...

lets hear it..

7~911
05-10-2008, 03:50 AM
Or I am being pedantic by comparing the two?

yes

lacey23
05-10-2008, 04:00 AM
Kobe has a long way to go to even catch Jordan let alone get to a point where you can say he's better then Jordan.

hwpnow
05-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Kobe just lost. What inspired this thread?

MesoPeaks
05-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Kobe just lost. What inspired this thread?

Kobe being the front runner of his team(not been trade yet) just like Jordan before, and he has improved his game so much and is bringing the team back to the finals again without O Neal. Not to mention, he is the mvp and he is still young.. Play-off average 34 + pts per game. Had 80 + points before and won slam dunk competition as well. Last but not the least, is being coached by Phil Jackson who is the former coach of Jordan.

lacey23
05-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Scoring Titles
Jordan-10. kobe-2

Chamionchips
Jordan-6 as the best player Kobe-3 as the 2nd best player

MVP
Jordan-5 Kobe-1

All defense 1st team
Jordan-9 Kobe-5

DPOY
Jordan-1 Kobe-0

FInals MVP
Jordan-6 Kobe-0

Career highs
PPG-Jordan 37.1 Kobe-35.4
APG-Jordan 8 Kobe-5.9
RPG-Jordan 8 Kobe-6.9
SPG-Jordan 3.16 Kobe-2.2
BPG-Jordan 1.6 Kobe-1

I mean he still has some years left in him, but he has a long way to go to even get to MJ in terms of achievments let alone get past him.

BigPoppaPump84
05-10-2008, 06:50 AM
How sick was that play when Kobe was double teamed, threw the ball off the backboard and ran and caught the ball in the air and dunked it. That was some NBA Street ****!

MesoPeaks
05-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Scoring Titles
Jordan-10. kobe-2

Chamionchips

MVP
Jordan-5 Kobe-1

All defense 1st team
Jordan-9 Kobe-5

DPOY
Jordan-1 Kobe-0

FInals MVP
Jordan-6 Kobe-0

Career highs
APG-Jordan 8 Kobe-5.9
RPG-Jordan 8 Kobe-6.9
SPG-Jordan 3.16 Kobe-2.2
BPG-Jordan 1.6 Kobe-1

I mean he still has some years left in him, but he has a long way to go to even get to MJ in terms of achievments let alone get past him.

thanks..

How sick was that play when Kobe was double teamed, threw the ball off the backboard and ran and caught the ball in the air and dunked it. That was some NBA Street ****!

yeah!

Kovalchuk
05-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Not even close. Kobe doesn't have the potential.. nor has he delivered yet in his career.

Kobe isn't even the best player in the league right now.

Leonidas80
05-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Kobe is good and the best player in the nba, but i dont think he's good as Michael. They'll never be a next Michael.

UNCnate
05-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Not even close. Kobe doesn't have the potential.. nor has he delivered yet in his career.

Who is if hes not?

Sim187
05-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Who is if hes not?

*waits for him to say chris paul or lebron ahah

UNCnate
05-10-2008, 08:47 AM
*waits for him to say chris paul or lebron ahah

When Lebron gets a consistent jump shot he'll be unstoppable, until then... he'll go 2-18 against a D that clogs up the lane.

Kovalchuk
05-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Who is if hes not?

According to basketball experts... not BB.com patrons

Nash, Nash, Nowitzki have been the better players the past 3 years.

My argument is for Lebron: bigger, faster, stronger.

UNCnate
05-10-2008, 09:08 AM

MVP doesnt = best player by any means.

lacey23
05-10-2008, 09:08 AM

Yes he is. Paul might be arguable, but I really don't think so.

psychowolverine
05-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Jordan >>>>>> Kobe

Kobe is just a wanna be Jordan...

Kovalchuk
05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
MVP doesnt = best player by any means.

So are you saying Kobe is the best player that doesn't perform for his team and isn't valuable the past 3 years?

(in relation to Nash and Nowitzki of course)

perhaps making him the most under-achieving player in the NBA... just sayin'

SDOptimist
05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
no one will ever touch what jordan has done..not even kobe.

lacey23
05-10-2008, 09:31 AM
So are you saying Kobe is the best player that doesn't perform for his team and isn't valuable the past 3 years?

wat?

why so ez?
05-10-2008, 09:44 AM

LOL holy **** you are the new dumbest person on the sports forum. Holy ****. Go watch some real basketball instead of reading articles and hollinger stats off of ESPN.

Btw a majority of basketball analysts/experts will overwhelmingly tell you that Kobe is and has been the best player in the league for the past few years. So basically you are talking out of your ass you really don't know anything about basketball. And I like how you cite Lebron being bigger, faster, and stronger as your reason for thinking he's better than Kobe. You really need to learn more about the game of basketball before you make posts regarding it or you'll just end up sounding like the biggest idiot ever.

UNCnate
05-10-2008, 09:48 AM

That really makes no sense to me?

What Im saying is that MVP doesnt = best player in the league. In no way is Nash the best player in the league for instance. He can shoot, pass, and lead an offense, but hes a liability on defense.

Now Kobe for instance, I believe hes been first team all defense 4-5 times, and we all know what he can do on the offensive end.

BballBuilder
05-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Nowitzki is trash compared to Kobe, and a no-show in playoffs.

why so ez?
05-10-2008, 09:54 AM
That really makes no sense to me?

What Im saying is that MVP doesnt = best player in the league. In no way is Nash the best player in the league for instance. He can shoot, pass, and lead an offense, but hes a liability on defense.

Now Kobe for instance, I believe hes been first team all defense 4-5 times, and we all know what he can do on the offensive end.

Really. Don't even talk to this guy. He knows nothing about basketball. First he says the best player in the league for the past three years have been Nash, Nash, and Nowitski. So basically he is saying that MVP means you are the best player in the league. But then he says Lebron is better than Kobe and Lebron hasn't even won the MVP. Not only is his reasoning terrible and baseless but he is also inconsistent. You know he doesn't watch basketball because for the past 3 months the biggest talk was about how the MVP isn't an individual award but more of a team award.

tmac4real
05-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Scoring Titles
Jordan-10. kobe-2

Chamionchips

MVP
Jordan-5 Kobe-1

All defense 1st team
Jordan-9 Kobe-5

DPOY
Jordan-1 Kobe-0

FInals MVP
Jordan-6 Kobe-0

Career highs
APG-Jordan 8 Kobe-5.9
RPG-Jordan 8 Kobe-6.9
SPG-Jordan 3.16 Kobe-2.2
BPG-Jordan 1.6 Kobe-1

u forgot /thread?

sohard88
05-10-2008, 09:56 AM

sorry but LOL

SDOptimist
05-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Scoring Titles
Jordan-10. kobe-2

Chamionchips

MVP
Jordan-5 Kobe-1

All defense 1st team
Jordan-9 Kobe-5

DPOY
Jordan-1 Kobe-0

FInals MVP
Jordan-6 Kobe-0

Career highs
APG-Jordan 8 Kobe-5.9
RPG-Jordan 8 Kobe-6.9
SPG-Jordan 3.16 Kobe-2.2
BPG-Jordan 1.6 Kobe-1

x2.......kobe doesnt even come close to jordan

yanksbgood
05-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Well all that bigger, stronger, faster stuff is really working for lebron right now. When a team double teams him down low and doesnt let him get an uncontested look in the lane he goes 3 for 18 from the field.

Definetly the best player in the NBA (sarcasm).

johnny87
05-10-2008, 10:53 AM
well, its unfair to compare awards such as mvp and dpoy as MJ was themost loved athelete of his time and alot hate kobe. If people liked kobe half as much as they liked mj, he would have a couple mvps.

Tony_S
05-10-2008, 11:18 AM

lawl wut

GTfreak
05-10-2008, 02:36 PM
1 on 1 both in their prime i think kobe wins, comparing each ones success then yeah u can give it to jordan but remember, kobes only 29-30

Travis71902
05-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Kobe? Maybe.

Lebron? In ten years? You know it.

soleus
05-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Why is this topic even discussed? Its been done 100 times on here.
Jordan > everyone

igetSWOLL
05-10-2008, 04:27 PM
kobe needs a a few more rings to be considered.

UNCnate
05-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Why is this topic even discussed? Its been done 100 times on here.
Jordan > everyone

End of story. Its going to be hard to match his intangibles... even if someone approaches his athletic ability, they likely wont match that.

igetSWOLL
05-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Kobe? Maybe.

Lebron? In ten years? You know it.

if lebron would have gone to college for 4 years like an intelligent person he would be the best person at his craft. the money was so good though... what 90 mil?

jumper21987
05-10-2008, 05:52 PM
i actually think kobe is more talented than jordan. dont get me wrong jordan was unbelievable. i dont believe the overall talent of the teams in the nba were as good then as they are now. today it's pretty much impossible to win without a big man, compared to when jordan did. kobe will never get all of the achievements that jordan did though. he could have a shot at rings depending on how the lakers do this year

kooldude
05-10-2008, 07:45 PM
i actually think kobe is more talented than jordan. dont get me wrong jordan was unbelievable. i dont believe the overall talent of the teams in the nba were as good then as they are now. today it's pretty much impossible to win without a big man, compared to when jordan did. kobe will never get all of the achievements that jordan did though. he could have a shot at rings depending on how the lakers do this year

I would say Jordan is more talented than Kobe. By talent, it is simply a natural ability which really means physical attributes since skillset is learned not naturally inherited.

Strength: Jordan
Quickness and speed: Jordan
Explosiveness: Jordan
Endurance: Jordan (this guy was able to play 110% on offense AND defense)
Body coordination: Jordan

When you put it together, Jordan was the superior athlete but don't get me, Kobe is an elite, upper tier athlete himself, just not as crazy as Jordan.

It was always virtually impossible to win without a big man. That's why Jordan was so great, he could and done it repeatedly.

Lloyd Braun
05-10-2008, 08:08 PM
No, I don't. But I do think Kobe is the closest thing we've had to a "Jordan V2." since Michael left the game. Kobe not only plays but talks like him, and his absolutely sick work ethic IMHO rivals Jordan's. I think he'll go down as one of the greats, but just slightly below Jordan.

GTfreak
05-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I would say Jordan is more talented than Kobe. By talent, it is simply a natural ability which really means physical attributes since skillset is learned not naturally inherited.

When you put it together, Jordan was the superior athlete but don't get me, Kobe is an elite, upper tier athlete himself, just not as crazy as Jordan.

It was always virtually impossible to win without a big man. That's why Jordan was so great, he could and done it repeatedly.

i disagree when it comes to strenght

kooldude
05-10-2008, 08:39 PM
i disagree when it comes to strenght

Jordan was one of the strongest SG ever. Between his freakish large hands and natural strength, he abused defenders. Players have been quoted about how Jordan is much stronger than he looks; he drove in the lane with ruthlessness. One of the reason why Kobe is a jumpshooter first, slasher second, is because he doesn't have the large hands and strength that players like Jordan and Vince has.

GTfreak
05-11-2008, 08:04 AM
so your saying jordan never really took alot of jumpshots? the man is known for the fadeaway jumper. and trust me kobe is VERY strong. he settles for jumpshots just as much as jordan did and does drive to the rim aggressively, how do u think the almost got back in game 3 vs the jazz, he was getting in there and drawing contact.

kooldude
05-11-2008, 08:32 AM
so your saying jordan never really took alot of jumpshots? the man is known for the fadeaway jumper. and trust me kobe is VERY strong. he settles for jumpshots just as much as jordan did and does drive to the rim aggressively, how do u think the almost got back in game 3 vs the jazz, he was getting in there and drawing contact.

Actually, I never said Jordan never took alot of jumpshots, show me how you could of possibly interrupted it that way.

Jordan drove more than Kobe. Kobe take more % jumpshots. Jordan from '96 to '98 was a jumpshooter. His physique got bigger but he didn't have the massive explosiveness he used to when he was younger. His fadeaway was his money in his latter career. In his early career, he drove like a madman.

Kobe is strong, I know, but he's not stronger than Jordan.

Let's put it this way: Kobe is still young and he settles for jumpshots at times, Jordan only did that when he was in his 30s.

GTfreak
05-11-2008, 08:40 AM
i guess its just something we will dissagree on. i just hope kobe will still be at the top when hes 35+

robfromsc
05-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Who knows it is very possible despite what everyone says.... To the one who said Kobe was the 2nd best for all 3 championships, thats not true.....Shaq was the best for the first 1 but 2nd championship is a toss up.. 3rd ring Kobe was that dude.

As for now got to give it to Jordan 5 years who knows?

kooldude
05-11-2008, 08:43 AM
i guess its just something we will dissagree on. i just hope kobe will still be at the top when hes 35+

Ok, the difference imo, is pretty small anyways.

Your sig is a week too old. :)

kooldude
05-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Who knows it is very possible despite what everyone says.... To the one who said Kobe was the 2nd best for all 3 championships, thats not true.....Shaq was the best for the first 1 but 2nd championship is a toss up.. 3rd ring Kobe was that dude.

As for now got to give it to Jordan 5 years who knows?

haha.....

PhoenixBuff
05-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Not to mention, at the beginning of the season, Kobe all but quit on his team - wanted to be traded and was acting like a little baby! Jordan, no matter how good his teamates were around him never quit like Kobe has done in the past. That in my mind will forever keep Kobe far behind Jordan as being considered the best ever - and I think Kobe is the best player on the planet right now. However, I'd put Jordan, Bird, Magic and few others ahead of Kobe on the all-time list.

Let's not forget that Jordan was on the All-Defensive team as well almost every year in his prime.

kooldude
05-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Not to mention, at the beginning of the season, Kobe all but quit on his team - wanted to be traded and was acting like a little baby! Jordan, no matter how good his teamates were around him never quit like Kobe has done in the past. That in my mind will forever keep Kobe far behind Jordan as being considered the best ever - and I think Kobe is the best player on the planet right now. However, I'd put Jordan, Bird, Magic and few others ahead of Kobe on the all-time list.

Let's not forget that Jordan was on the All-Defensive team as well almost every year in his prime.

haha, if you think Jordan wasn't a dick to his teammates, you are sadly mistaken. I suggest you read "The Jordan Rules" before commenting. Kobe is like a mirror image of Jordan in style of play and personality.

And Kobe never quit on his teammates; have you forgotten when the season started, even when he was denied any trade request, he still bought it when his team needed him? Or you were in hater mode then too?

Kobe will never surpass Jordan. Magic and Bird, Kobe need to win like 3 more MVPs and 3 titles as the 1st option to do surpass those guys.

Let's not forget that Kobe was on the All-D teams almost every year too. haha