PDA

View Full Version : weighing your meats

biggun1234
05-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Just curious as to how some of you measure your meats on the food scale. Do you do it after the meat has been cooked, or before?

Lately I've been doing it after, since I figured there is no point to measure the water that will be cooked out...but how do the meat manufatctures do it?

When they say there is 100 calories in 4 ounces of chicken breast, are they talking pre or post cooked?

redux
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
I weigh mine after it has been cooked.

Jules Verne
05-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Lately I've been doing it after, since I figured there is no point to measure the water that will be cooked out...but how do the meat manufatctures do it?

Doesn't make sense because the amount of water, and hence weight will vary depending on how much you cook it. The stats pre-cooked will be very close for any chicken. Post-cooked could vary quite a bit.

For chicken, since there is very little fat, it makes more sense to weigh before cooking (using the appropriate numbers). For other fattier meat - well there's no way of getting it really accurate anyway, so choose one method and be consistent.

Either way you'll be close enough though.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Sixpack
05-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Weight after being cooked ,

Dr. Horse
05-08-2008, 04:47 PM
FYI, the convention is to weight BEFORE cooking. Do what you will.

Npruner
05-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I weigh mine before it is cooked. I'm pretty sure the nutrition facts account for the uncooked meat. Four ounces cooked is like five or six uncooked depending on the meat. You have to watch this with lots of foods such as sweet potatoes, yams, and wheat pasta. I weight and measure all my food raw.

Brendon9686
05-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I measure everything raw. But on sites such as calorieking or calorie-count, you can choose to see nutritional info on cooked or raw. So like the other dude said before, pick a method and stay consistent

Rodzilla
05-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I used to do cooked, but I would do raw. Pre-measure a bunch ahead of time and put them in ziplock baggies. When it comes time put some foil down on the foreman and grill. It is more accurate and easier to clean up.