PDA

View Full Version : how bad am i at basketball?

rustyhook
05-07-2008, 09:36 AM
just shot some hoops for the very first time. from england thats why. i hit 4 of 30 from 3 point territory and 3 of 10 from teh free throw line. i think i suck.

i wanna get good at this sport though, im only 5'7 though. is this really bad to say ive not really played before, what kind of shooting do you gusy have? jut wondering

Grind4Mine
05-07-2008, 09:49 AM
"When you realize you aint gonna go pro thats when you start having fun"

Bad-Influence
05-07-2008, 09:55 AM
ive shot 22/25 from the freethrow
and from 3s it depends on how im feeling that day, im usually on fire or brickin every shot

Tony_S
05-07-2008, 09:57 AM
i can shoot 3's better than free throws and 10 foot jumpers. after i've been shooting on that hoop for a while and get a feel for it then i can drop 3's like no other...other than that i'm ok

Virusas
05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
just shot some hoops for the very first time. from england thats why. i hit 4 of 30 from 3 point territory and 3 of 10 from teh free throw line. i think i suck.

i wanna get good at this sport though, im only 5'7 though. is this really bad to say ive not really played before, what kind of shooting do you gusy have? jut wondering

dude u are 21 u are 5'7 and u shoot like my grandma U Fail A Lot. I am 6.6 i play bball for 14 years and i some times fail, so consider the posibility that u will be good to Z E R O.

Tony_S
05-07-2008, 10:08 AM
dude u are 21 u are 5'7 and u shoot like my grandma U Fail A Lot. I am 6.6 i play bball for 14 years and i some times fail, so consider the posibility that u will be good to Z E R O.

Stats: 6'6", 173 lbs

shut up

why so ez?
05-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Well it was your first time ever playing basketball so whatever. Just work on shooting form and technique. There's some basketball tips videos on youtube just go search for them. I consistently hit around 7 out of 10 free throws and maybe 3-4 out of 10 three pointers. But I'm more of a post player so I've been working on my close to close-mid range jumper. Watch some NBA players and see whose style you think you would fit best. I like to watch Amare and Garnett because I feel like I can play the power forward position best. 6'2 in the real world is big enough to be a consistent post player in pickup games. At 5'7 you probably want to play more as a guard so work on your jumpers and if you've got decent speed driving to the basket.

Rockwilder
05-07-2008, 10:25 AM
It depends on how much time you want to put into basketball. When I was playing seriously I would work on my dribble for an hour before school started then after school I would go to the gym and just work on my form ie shoot one handed from the dotted half-circle area trying to perfect form. Then after I got a good feel and my shooting form was consistant I would make 50 jump shots from various locations that where 10-15feet away from the basket. Then 25 catch and shoot jumpshots that I would do by throwing the ball at the wall and then when it would rebound back to me shoot it immediately. Then 25 game type jumpshots ie off the crossover/ pul up from the drive. Then make 100 three's before I left the gym. You should probably start of with lower numbers till you develop a consistent shot unless you have a lot of time to burn.

For you it would be a good idea to join a rec league so you can kind of get the fundamentals down and get a feel for the game. You should also go to gyms where there are good players and just watch what they do. Also what helped my dribble a lot is dribbling with a tennis ball.

Kovalchuk
05-07-2008, 10:28 AM
I hit 13/15 from the free throw line in a city competition at the age of 12.

just sayin'

Bad Newz
05-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Jordan has posters of ME all over his walls...Just sayin'

GTfreak
05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
there is so much more to basketball than just bieng able to make shots

Bad-Influence
05-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Jordan has posters of ME all over his walls...Just sayin'
in soviet russia, posters post you

cottage_cheese
05-07-2008, 10:45 AM

ur from Lithuania of course ur good at bball

PHX04
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
i was about 90% FT shooter...75% 3pt shooter..and about 50% from midrange..

started lifting more and more. then later on broke my shooting/fapping wrist..and now i can shoot like shaq...brick brick....and more brick....only cause i dont have full snap when shooting...so im just pushing the ball with little wrist movement...

the wrist is getting more movement vvvveeeerrrryy slllooowwwlllllyyy

Bad Newz
05-07-2008, 10:53 AM
there is so much more to basketball than just bieng able to make shots

Nope, that's pretty much the goal...

Bad Newz
05-07-2008, 10:54 AM
in soviet russia, posters post you

In soviet russia, I'd be able to rep you without having to spread it around again :)

rustyhook
05-07-2008, 10:55 AM
im sure you did

i know i aint great but to be honest its the first time ive played since i was like 10 and that was just messing about in school where i could hardly get the bal to the net.

i am a good dribbler, and i am extremely quick ad agile, i have ok strength,i dont know if a team would want someonewhos never played before lol. i think i could be a decent player, i am good at other sports, iwas qualirty at cornerback playing american football, i am good at soccer, tennis, badminton.

btw i was watching my college basketbal team today too, and they look really sucky, i dont know the stadard of 18 year olds in america but the team at my college are crap, i think england is wayy behind america in terms of b'ball.

im gunna keep practising, i think if i could be a decent shooter then my height wouldnt eb such a problem

Bad-Influence
05-07-2008, 10:58 AM
In soviet russia, I'd be able to rep you without having to spread it around again :)

well dam

Bad Newz
05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
i was about 90% FT shooter...75% 3pt shooter..and about 50% from midrange..

started lifting more and more. then later on broke my shooting/fapping wrist..and now i can shoot like shaq...brick brick....and more brick....only cause i dont have full snap when shooting...so im just pushing the ball with little wrist movement...

the wrist is getting more movement vvvveeeerrrryy slllooowwwlllllyyy

LOL @ 75% from the arc...

It's always the "Back in the Day" people that have the BEST stories...I bet you walked 20 miles to school in the snow, up-hill both ways without shoes, right?

rustyhook
05-07-2008, 11:02 AM
LOL @ 75% from the arc...

It's always the "Back in the Day" people that have the BEST stories...I bet you walked 20 miles to school in the snow, up-hill both ways without shoes, right?

im sorry but theirs no way he shoots 75% from 3 point range, i bet most nba stars dont do that

why so ez?
05-07-2008, 11:07 AM
im sorry but theirs no way he shoots 75% from 3 point range, i bet most nba stars dont do that

Actually it's only during the games that NBA stars can only shoot around 35-45% 3 pt shooting. See good NBA shooters shoot around in practice from the 3 pt line and they'll sink close to almost all of them. Plus the 3 pt line normal people are used to is much closer than the 3 pt line in the NBA. A regular 3 pt shot for us is like a mid range jumper to NBA players.

Bad Newz
05-07-2008, 11:13 AM

LOL It's also funny that he goes down 25% the closer he gets to the hoop with the exception of Free Throws...

Which is possible since one might tend to shoot more in mid-range then from the arc...Maybe he only shot twice and made one? 50%

Maybe he only shot four 3's and just happened to make three of them? 75%

Bad Newz
05-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Actually it's only during the games that NBA stars can only shoot around 35-45% 3 pt shooting. See good NBA shooters shoot around in practice from the 3 pt line and they'll sink close to almost all of them. Plus the 3 pt line normal people are used to is much closer than the 3 pt line in the NBA. A regular 3 pt shot for us is like a mid range jumper to NBA players.

What's your point? That's when the %'s actually count, right?

If I shoot one 3 pointer *in practice* and make it, does that earn me the right to say I shoot 100% from downtown?

why so ez?
05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
What's your point? That's when the %'s actually count, right?

If I shoot one 3 pointer *in practice* and make it, does that earn me the right to say I shoot 100% from downtown?

Uh no I was alluding to the fact that NBA players can shoot higher % 3-pointers during practice. The OP was just shooting around he wasn't playing in a pickup game, and I'm assuming when he says that even NBA players can't make 75% from the 3 that's during practice.

PHX04
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
LOL It's also funny that he goes down 25% the closer he gets to the hoop with the exception of Free Throws...

Which is possible since one might tend to shoot more in mid-range then from the arc...Maybe he only shot twice and made one? 50%

Maybe he only shot four 3's and just happened to make three of them? 75%

yeah concidering its a playground court...college line..not NBA line...and being that im not a jumper..i would get blocked going down the lane...

i went to a Jason Kidd camp when i was younger..steve nash was a rookie. and he was made like 30 strait 3 pointers..from different areas behind the 3pt line...

lacey23
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
I shoot hoops almost every day durin the Spring-Fall. From a high school 3pt line I average in and around 12-14 out of every 20 3's pretty consistantly, but it goes down in a game. FT line I don't really practice as much since I just play pickup games, but when I do it's around 8 for 10.

Been playing for a long time, and had good mechanics, but still had a inconsistant shot for a long time since I played mostly PF/center in rep, and high school. The thing that finally helped me was getting a consistant release when it leaves your hand. You want the ball mostly just touching your fingertips, no palm.

Bad Newz
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Uh no I was alluding to the fact that NBA players can shoot higher % 3-pointers during practice. The OP was just shooting around he wasn't playing in a pickup game, and I'm assuming when he says that even NBA players can't make 75% from the 3 that's during practice.

I wasn't talking about the OP...The OP is the guy that questioned the 75% shooting "along" with myself...

Practice doesn't count towards %'s...Therefore you can never count practice stats...

I doubt any NBA player ever has nor ever will shoot 75% from 3...I'm talking about regular shooters in a typical season...Not Tim Duncan - shoot 1, make 1 = 100% BS

Check Kapono's stats...Not even near 75%(Season), in practice yes, at his house he probably shoots 110% when no one's watching :)

lacey23
05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
I thought we were talking about practice since that was what the OP was talking about. I doubt anybody on here has any idea what they shoot in games. I take like 2-5 3's in a game, and my %'s vary from game to game. Don't keep a log lol so I have no idea what %'s I shoot in games.

johnny87
05-07-2008, 12:15 PM
For those who play alot of pickup ball, whats the rule on how physical you play?

I been playing at my new gym and the guys there are all pretty good but they are real skinny.

Mafiafolife77
05-07-2008, 12:29 PM
yeah back in the day i hit 90/92 free throws and like 47/50 3 pointers. pretty easy. but im from chile so it counts as double.

KingCanuck
05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
I used to be cash from anywhere outside when I was playing highschool ball.. but I havent played in a few months now...

You got to get the fundamentals down. Especially your shooting technique, you got to make sure your legs are almost shoulder width apart, make sure your dominament foot is a little ahead of your other one. Also always make sure you are squared to the basket that you are shooting.

When you hold the ball your shooting hand should be a right angle and your elbow has the be in and aligned in with your body. Your other hand should not help you shoot the ball, it is there to just hold the ball in place.

Make sure you also bend your legs when shooting.

Rockwilder
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
For those who play alot of pickup ball, whats the rule on how physical you play?

I been playing at my new gym and the guys there are all pretty good but they are real skinny.

Dont be this guy
-SYUYWAvfWw

suave9
05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
One thing that you don't realize is that you don't have any bad habits to break.

So this is how you properly learn to shoot - use one hand and stand not even a foot away from the basket and shoot them in the hoop until consistant at it. Shoot with the tips of your fingers, this makes all the difference in the world. Elbow at your head level and keeping it in and not out.

Make your way back as you get elite at it and by elite I do mean ELITE. Don't make 10 shots and assume you're a pro.

You'll catch on, and you've got a crapload to learn. So much you wouldn't even believe it.