PDA

View Full Version : How shocking is it that ATL is still in while PHX/DEN/DAL/TOR are gone?

Propulsion
05-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm SHOCKED!

A team that didn't even break .500 taking it to game 6 (and possibly game 7) against the "best team in the league?" UNHEARD OF!

Propulsion
05-02-2008, 08:28 PM
B.u.m.p!

F.A.M.E.
05-02-2008, 08:54 PM
lulz @ the teams you mentioned.

kevolution
05-02-2008, 09:03 PM
That's the beauty of the NBA.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 09:21 PM
If they win the series then I'll be shocked.

How well they have played really doesn't matter unless they win the series.

jlong15
05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Thats the difference in the East and West.

F.A.M.E.
05-02-2008, 09:45 PM

Wrong, it really does matter, win or lose.. They have somethin to build on. In addition, they just took the intimidatin factor away from the celtics.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Wrong, it really does matter, win or lose.. They have somethin to build on. In addition, they just took the intimidatin factor away from the celtics.

That's a misnomer. This year is this year...next year is next year.

Nobody is going to say remember when Atlanta went 7 games and lost to Boston, the team with the best record in the league. They need to win the series for it to mean something.

johnny87
05-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Nobody is going to say remember when Atlanta went 7 games and lost to Boston, the team with the best record in the league. They need to win the series for it to mean something.

everyone said they didnt even deserve to be there. They have proven they do
They also have proven they can hang w/ the leagues best. If you dont think that effects the pysche of a bunch of 22 year old kids then lol.

bbacn123
05-02-2008, 10:12 PM

By that logic it doesnt really matter unless they win the championship. Even the series is pointless

Win or lose, it provides a building block that they've come this far. They can now say "hey, we went toe to toe with the best team in the league last year." It gives them something to work for next year. I mean this is a young team. It makes them want it even more. Fans jump on board and start to believe in them. It gets the whole ball rolling. If they had gotten swept there's not much to feel good about.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 10:16 PM
everyone said they didnt even deserve to be there. They have proven they do
They also have proven they can hang w/ the leagues best. If you dont think that effects the pysche of a bunch of 22 year old kids then lol.

It's one thing to hang and quite another to beat.

A loss could just as easily effect them negatively.

johnny87
05-02-2008, 10:18 PM

unless some one breaks a leg, i dont understand how a young team is going to be negatively effected by picking up some quality playoff experience.

MichaelBus
05-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Patriots.

bbacn123
05-02-2008, 10:20 PM

I really dont think so. Everyone knows they were never supposed to be here. Its not like the people of atlanta will be booing them if they lose. nothing bad will be written about them. There's no reason not to hold your head up if you lose game 7 if you're a Hawk.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 10:24 PM
By that logic it doesnt really matter unless they win the championship. Even the series is pointless

Win or lose, it provides a building block that they've come this far. They can now say "hey, we went toe to toe with the best team in the league last year." It gives them something to work for next year. I mean this is a young team. It makes them want it even more. Fans jump on board and start to believe in them. It gets the whole ball rolling. If they had gotten swept there's not much to feel good about.

Winning the series is an accomplishment, especially for a franchise who doesn't have alot of accomplishments to speak of. Losing just reinforces losing.

This building block stuff is a bunch of hooey. With free agency, trades, coaches getting fired, new GM's etc, teams are completely different from year to year.

Was it a building block for Golden State last year beating Dallas in the first round?

F.A.M.E.
05-02-2008, 10:25 PM

It doesn't matter what anybody thinks.. I'm speakin about THEIR mentality. Win or lose, this series makes them mature as a team, which will end up helpin them out in the future.

Exist 2 Inspire
05-02-2008, 10:26 PM

I must disagree with you there. The Hawks have a very very slim chance of winning this series, and the fans know that. But this will be a time that people will look back on and remember for a long time to come because of what it means to the city.

I just got back from the game, where Philips Arena set a new all time attendance record. I've never ever seen the streets of Atlanta crowded with people celebrating basketball. Basketball fever is something Atlanta has never had, but this win, to this city, is the closest thing to a championship victory that a lot of the people of Atlanta have ever seen, so this series will be remembered as a turning point for the franchise. Next season, merchandise sales will be up resulting in more money for the team. Attendance will be up resulting in better play and more wins. The Atlanta Hawks will only grow from here.

johnny87
05-02-2008, 10:26 PM
It doesn't matter what anybody thinks.. I'm speakin about THEIR mentality. Win or lose, this series makes them mature as a team, which will end up helpin them out in the future.

seriously, i dont know how he doesnt understand this lol.

bbacn123
05-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Winning the series is an accomplishment, especially for a franchise who doesn't have alot of accomplishments to speak of. Losing just reinforces losing.

This building block stuff is a bunch of hooey. With free agency, trades, coaches getting fired, new GM's etc, teams are completely different from year to year.

Was it a building block for Golden State last year beating Dallas in the first round?

sorry, but its illogical to think that winning 4 games is an accomplishment while winning 3 is meaningless.

Whats the good of winning the series if they lose the next? where's the accomplishment at unless it helps them in the future?

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 10:28 PM
unless some one breaks a leg, i dont understand how a young team is going to be negatively effected by picking up some quality playoff experience.

I think it's good experience for the players involved, I just don't necessarily think it makes them better next season.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 10:31 PM

Maybe, but maybe not. It could just reinforce what a bunch of losers the Atlanta Hawks are.

That's why it's more important for their mentality to win, than to hang and lose.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I must disagree with you there. The Hawks have a very very slim chance of winning this series, and the fans know that. But this will be a time that people will look back on and remember for a long time to come because of what it means to the city.

I just got back from the game, where Philips Arena set a new all time attendance record. I've never ever seen the streets of Atlanta crowded with people celebrating basketball. Basketball fever is something Atlanta has never had, but this win, to this city, is the closest thing to a championship victory that a lot of the people of Atlanta have ever seen, so this series will be remembered as a turning point for the franchise. Next season, merchandise sales will be up resulting in more money for the team. Attendance will be up resulting in better play and more wins. The Atlanta Hawks will only grow from here.

Thank you for reinforcing my point...that they need to win for something positive to happen. Losing is still losing, whether it is 4-3 or 4-0.

bbacn123
05-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Thank you for reinforcing my point...that they need to win for something positive to happen. Losing is still losing, whether it is 4-3 or 4-0.

Did you read his post right? cause there's nothing about reinforcing your point in it

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 10:43 PM
sorry, but its illogical to think that winning 4 games is an accomplishment while winning 3 is meaningless.

Whats the good of winning the series if they lose the next? where's the accomplishment at unless it helps them in the future?

Is it?

Winning 4 means they won in the critical inch. Winning 3 means they didn't.

The future is guaranteed to no one. Everybody wants to think they are building for the future, but that is more fantasy than reality. Nobody knows what's in store for the future.

A team that went 66-16 this year could just as easily go 35-47 next year, all with the intention that they are building for the future. There is no formula. Each year is a seperate entity.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Did you read his post right? cause there's nothing about reinforcing your point in it

Sure I did. He basically said Atlanta is buzzing because they won.

bbacn123
05-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Yeah, he said THIS win (as in tonights win) is the closest this city has seen to a championship. It will be remembered. As a matter of fact his post is flat out disagreeing with what you said.

But ya know what, lets forget about that. As a Hawks fan I can tell you I wont forget about this series. And there's no way in hell im the only one. So coming from the actual atlanta fans on this board telling you its not meaningless should make you stop and think before posting that it is meaningless that theyve won 3.

When next year rolls around, I gaurantee im going to be a bit more interested than I was this year. That makes it meaningful

/thread

Exist 2 Inspire
05-02-2008, 10:50 PM

And Atlanta will be buzzing whether they win game 7 or are eliminated. They put up one hell of a fight and the fans appreciate that. It's something to build on.

On a side note...Hawks fans, I wish ya'll could've made it to the game. It was a blast. I think the whole Falcons team might have been there...I spotted Milloy, Boley, Crumpler, Jenkins, Shockley, Laurent Robinson, and spoke with the special teams captain and backup FB Corey McIntyre. They were all just hanging out in the VIP commons area.

...talked to Josh Childress for a second at a resturant after the game too.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah, he said THIS win (as in tonights win) is the closest this city has seen to a championship. It will be remembered. As a matter of fact his post is flat out disagreeing with what you said.

But ya know what, lets forget about that. As a Hawks fan I can tell you I wont forget about this series. And there's no way in hell im the only one. So coming from the actual atlanta fans on this board telling you its not meaningless should make you stop and think before posting that it is meaningless that theyve won 3.

When next year rolls around, I gaurantee im going to be a bit more interested than I was this year. That makes it meaningful

/thread

What do you think people would remember more: Winning the NBA championship or winning last nights game?

Last nights game will be forgotten like the 3rd girl you ever made out with if the Hawks win the NBA championship.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 11:04 PM
And Atlanta will be buzzing whether they win game 7 or are eliminated. They put up one hell of a fight and the fans appreciate that. It's something to build on.

On a side note...Hawks fans, I wish ya'll could've made it to the game. It was a blast. I think the whole Falcons team might have been there...I spotted Milloy, Boley, Crumpler, Jenkins, Shockley, Laurent Robinson, and spoke with the special teams captain and backup FB Corey McIntyre. They were all just hanging out in the VIP commons area.

...talked to Josh Childress for a second at a resturant after the game too.

In other words you think it is an accomplishment for Atlanta to lose in 7 games.

Exist 2 Inspire
05-02-2008, 11:09 PM
What do you think people would remember more: Winning the NBA championship or winning last nights game?

Last nights game will be forgotten like the 3rd girl you ever made out with if the Hawks win the NBA championship.
Nobody is arguing that the Hawks will win the NBA championship, or that winning this one game holds more prestige than winning the NBA championship.

In other words you think it is an accomplishment for Atlanta to lose in 7 games.

And yes, that is what I'm saying, because it's much more than anybody else even gave them a snowball's chance in hell of doing, and it's more than anything the team has done in years and years. Sure, everybody wants to see them win the series, and even the championship. We want that more than anything, but we understand that it's a huge stretch and if they don't accomplish either of those things, they've still captivated their city.

bbacn123
05-02-2008, 11:13 PM

But they arent going to win the championship. Your missing the point. Obviously Id like them to do even better, but right now, as it stands if they were to lose sunday im damn proud of them.

joeflex73
05-02-2008, 11:14 PM
But they arent going to win the championship. Your missing the point. Obviously Id like them to do even better, but right now, as it stands if they were to lose sunday im damn proud of them.

No one thought they win a game. I have to agree with this. Theyve proven they belong.

CerealKiller
05-02-2008, 11:18 PM

The point is you see more redeeming value in Atlanta putting up a good fight but losing the series than I do.

If you're happy, I'm happy.