PDA

View Full Version : Durant beats out Horford for rookie of the year

Ol Dirty Scrapper
04-30-2008, 11:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3374806

Durant, who led all first-year players in scoring, assists and free-throw percentage, reportedly beat out Atlanta Hawks forward Al Horford to become the first Rookie of the Year in Seattle franchise history. The NBA is expected to officially announce the award on Thursday.

Durant averaged 20.3 points per game in 2007-08 -- the highest scoring average for a rookie since Carmelo Anthony averaged 21 points per game and LeBron James averaged 20.9 ppg in 2003-04. Only three of the past 10 rookies of the year -- Durant, James and Elton Brand -- have averaged at least 20 points in their first season.

Among qualifiers, Durant also was the first rookie to lead his team in scoring since the 2004-05 season, when both Charlotte's Emeka Okafor and Atlanta's Josh Childress led their teams in scoring.

CerealKiller
05-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Many thought Horford was more deserving.

Exist 2 Inspire
05-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Many thought Horford was more deserving.

Durant was the sexy choice. (no homo)

He had a good year obviously, but it was the hype that won him the award. IMO when you're averaging a double double on a playoff team, that's more impressive than averaging 20 points on a team where you're the only good player.

Marvin Williams said ""We could have made sure Al got 20 and 10 every night and lost every game. But Al's a team player. And what he's done for our team, it's been unbelievable. We wouldn't be here without him."

CerealKiller
05-01-2008, 08:36 PM

He had a good year obviously, but it was the hype that won him the award. IMO when you're averaging a double double on a playoff team, that's more impressive than averaging 20 points on a team where you're the only good player.

Marvin Williams said ""We could have made sure Al got 20 and 10 every night and lost every game. But Al's a team player. And what he's done for our team, it's been unbelievable. We wouldn't be here without him."

I don't disagree with you, I do disagree that Horford would ever average 20pts under any circumstances.

I think I saw the Sonics play maybe 3 times this year and Durrant kind of looked like he had given up. Was more than content on just launching 3's and he couldn't guard anybody.

I saw his season high game (the same game as Jeff Green's) but Green played much better. Other than Durrant hitting his shot that night, he really didn't play all that well.

kooldude
05-01-2008, 08:39 PM

I'm going to ignore the part about you being from atlanta :)

Durant isn't the sexy choice, he's the right choice. Horford is like the 4th option on the Hawks, opposing don't plan for this guy. Durant is the only real threat on the Sonics and that makes every opposing team is going to put their best defender on him and get him frequent double teams. And Durant is just the better player and will be for a long time.

Tony_S
05-01-2008, 08:39 PM
horford was robbed. wow

Exist 2 Inspire
05-01-2008, 08:57 PM
not to mention durant was playing out of position the whole season
last 2 months he started shootign well,avg 49% in those months

Horford played out of position as well. His natural position is power forward. But you're right, Durant did really step it up later in the season as far as efficiency. I'm definitely a biased voice b/c of where I'm from, but I still think Al as a 4th option did as much for his team as Durant as the 1st option did for his.

Exist 2 Inspire
05-01-2008, 09:34 PM
in my opinion they both deserved it

But there can only be one!

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7553/horforddurantaz5.jpg

johnny87
05-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't disagree with you, I do disagree that Horford would ever average 20pts under any circumstances.

I think I saw the Sonics play maybe 3 times this year and Durrant kind of looked like he had given up. Was more than content on just launching 3's and he couldn't guard anybody.

I saw his season high game (the same game as Jeff Green's) but Green played much better. Other than Durrant hitting his shot that night, he really didn't play all that well.

i dont know. atlanta didnt use him much on offense during the regular season. he has made some pretty nice plays this post season when they started using him as a post up option.

Durant played like a ****tier version of antoine walker this year.