jaim91 suggested that I write up a separate post on this so here goes:

ingredients:

cottage cheese
ice
water
xanthan gum

variable ingredients:
sugar free jello mixes
sugar free jello pudding mixes (careful with these, they contribute a significant amount of carbs, but they DO taste great in this)
splenda
davinci syrups
walden farms sweet flavors
peanut butter
cocoa powder
cinnamon
vanilla extract

I make this all the freaking time because I am completely addicted. This completely takes away my ice cream craving because it is cool, creamy, and sweet.

First:

In blender, throw in any amount of cottage cheese you like. I normally do 1/2 cup because it ends up becoming A LOT!!
Add around 10 ice cubes
Add splenda at this point if you wish
Start blender.

You might have to add A LITTLE bit of water to get it going (I would recommend just a couple of tablespoons, you want to keep it icy and thick)

Once it gets going, add in your flavoring**

Slowly keep adding water to get it to mix properly. If it gets too thin, add more ice and xanthan gum, if it gets too thick, add more ice and water. It's important to keep adding ice if you want it to be frozen yogurt like. I always have to play with it to get the consistency right. Pour it out of the blender and enjoy. Mine usually will completely fill up a standard bowl.

**Flavor combination ideas

+Vanilla-Caramel-- add in walden farms caramel and some davinci sugar free syrup (or splenda and vanilla extract), some cinnamon, if you like

+Peanut butter and jelly -- Add in peanut butter and 1-2 tbsp of either grape or strawberry sugar-free jello powder (you could use sugar free jelly, but that adds more carbs)

+Chocolate Cherry-- cocoa powder and splenda (or walden farms chocolate) plus black cherry sugar free jello powder (adding peanut butter to this one is also good)

+Peanut butter or almond butter and some splenda or davinci vanilla syrup

+Orange Creamsicle-- 1-2 tbsp orange flavor sugar free jello powder + davinci sugar free vanilla syrup (this one is a personal favorite of mine)
Actually, this one would probably taste good with just about any sugar free jello flavor.

Any of the sugar-free jello pudding flavors. Especially banana pudding. Yum!

I've never had any luck creating a pure chocolate flavor.

You might have to play with the amounts of flavorings based on your own personal preferences. The flavor possibilities for this are endless.

Tootella
04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
oh, one more thing. this is also good because it's low calorie. I usually don't add peanut butter, so an entire ENORMOUS bowl of this will end up being 110 calories. (using only 1/2 cup cottage cheese)

thepointman
04-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Does this keep at all in the freezer? Or do you have to make then serve immediately? I'm going to try some PB + cocoa powder :)

Tootella
04-29-2008, 10:31 PM
i don't know if it keeps. i usually scarf it all down. :)

joeflex73
04-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Definitely going to be trying this soon.

Eileen
04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
I've never had any luck creating a pure chocolate flavor.

I'm going to have a go at this.

Coffee (strong) and cocoa together give a very good chocolate flavour.

I normally mix my leftover coffee with enough cocoa to make a fairly wet paste, with sweetener to taste and stick in in the fridge. It goes more solid as it cools. Whenever I need a chocolate flavour, I add in a spoonful or two.

randyrock
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
I will definitely try this tomorrow. I need something large and tasty to fill my stomach without consuming too many cals. This seems perfecto!

Do you think you could sub the CC for cream cheese, or is the cottage cheese needed for consistency?

Tootella
04-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm going to have a go at this.

Coffee (strong) and cocoa together give a very good chocolate flavour.

I normally mix my leftover coffee with enough cocoa to make a fairly wet paste, with sweetener to taste and stick in in the fridge. It goes more solid as it cools. Whenever I need a chocolate flavour, I add in a spoonful or two.

wow, i would have never thought of that! I'll definitely try this

CoQ10
05-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Excellent recipe!

I'm not on keto so I don't have to be as strict with the carbohydrate content, but I just made a huge batch using one cup of cottage cheese and a couple tablespoons of banana cream pudding mix, and it was AWESOME! Probably about 6-12 carbs total, and very filling :).

Thanks, Tootella!

-C10

Tootella
05-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Excellent recipe!

I'm not on keto so I don't have to be as strict with the carbohydrate content, but I just made a huge batch using one cup of cottage cheese and a couple tablespoons of banana cream pudding mix, and it was AWESOME! Probably about 6-12 carbs total, and very filling :).

Thanks, Tootella!

-C10

Awesome!! The banana pudding flavor really IS pretty amazing with it. The amount it makes is ridiculous!!! Especially for someone like me who enjoys eating a lot, it feels good to feel like I'm eating a tub of ice cream, but it really only has 110 calories. (for every 1/2 cup cottage cheese used)

richie_89
05-05-2008, 05:57 PM
nice idea tootella, i am not a huge fan of cottage cheese by itself so this sounds like a good way around that

Knux
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
can you make this without xanthan gum?

CoQ10
05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
nice idea tootella, i am not a huge fan of cottage cheese by itself so this sounds like a good way around that

I actually *hate* cottage cheese, but Tootella's recipe was awesome. Let us know how it goes!

-C10

Tootella
05-06-2008, 07:59 AM

yeah, probably. you would just have to be very careful about the amount of water you put in. i always end up putting too much and just add the xanthan gum to thicken it back up.

i highly recommend xanthan gum, it really helps with the texture to make it more like a thick creamy pudding or frozen yogurt.

Eileen
05-06-2008, 02:26 PM

I made some today and didn't add the xantham gum till the end, and it was just messy. Once I added the gum, it was excellent.

By the way, I did the cocoa and coffee chocolate mixture and even DH liked it.

Tootella
05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I made some today and didn't add the xantham gum till the end, and it was just messy. Once I added the gum, it was excellent.

By the way, I did the cocoa and coffee chocolate mixture and even DH liked it.

will definitely try that one tomorrow!!

i had some extra coffee left over in the morning a couple of days ago, and i mixed in some cocoa into it.... kind of made it like a paste, and i just ended up gobbling that little mixture up. it was really really good!

i'm gonna try the chocolate style in the cc. i'm really excited!~! :)

Eileen
05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
i had some extra coffee left over in the morning a couple of days ago, and i mixed in some cocoa into it.... kind of made it like a paste, and i just ended up gobbling that little mixture up. it was really really good!

Yes, I've been known to do that too. I figure it heads off a chocolate binge.

fudgetracks
05-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I need to try something like this. I feel like my sweet tooth is going to get the best of me and make me eat the tub of ice cream i have sitting in the freezer.

Eileen
05-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I need to try something like this. I feel like my sweet tooth is going to get the best of me and make me eat the tub of ice cream i have sitting in the freezer.

Bin the ice-cream or give it away. If it's there, you'll eventually eat it. Think of how much cardio you'll have to do to make up for a tub of ice-cream.

Tootella
05-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Bin the ice-cream or give it away. If it's there, you'll eventually eat it. Think of how much cardio you'll have to do to make up for a tub of ice-cream.

x2!!!!!!!!!!! yes yes yes! get rid of it! you'll be happy you did!

fudgetracks
05-09-2008, 03:04 PM

I wish I could, but my bro would kill me if I tossed it. I've been on the keto diet for a good 5 weeks now and haven't cheated yet...I just got that sugar craving all of a sudden.

I need to pick up some xanthan gum so I can try this this weekend.

Eileen
05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Well, in the meantime, I posted a recipe for low carb ice-cream that only needs eggs, cream, sweetener and vanilla.

Rigit23
05-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I just tried this and it's amazing!

Reps to the OP and I can't wait to see whatother combinations I can create! :D

I used Walden Farms Maple Syrup and it tasted like maple ice cream!

thricenotrice
05-14-2008, 06:15 PM
where to get xanthan gum?

Eileen
05-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Health food shops and often in the baking section of bigger supermarkets. It's mostly used as a raising agent for people with coeliac disease.

I did a version of this, just using my PWO whey and ice and water, and a spoon of x gum. and it was really good.

MarkVI
05-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Does this really taste good? What if I did

Scoop Whey
Scoop Xantham
Ice
Diet mountain dew/rootbeer/creamsoda :)......

Is it going to be gooey and ice cream like? Should I throw in a pack of SF jello GELATIN (not jello jello).....

joeflex73
05-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Bought the xanthan gum yesterday, gonna be making this Saturday.

Tootella
05-16-2008, 05:54 AM

Scoop Whey
Scoop Xantham
Ice

Is it going to be gooey and ice cream like? Should I throw in a pack of SF jello GELATIN (not jello jello).....

um, i don't know, but that sounds really really good!! If you do this for a post workout shake, maybe you could still put in a just a little bit of FF cottage cheese to give it the ice-creaminess?? That's the where the ice-creaminess comes from, not just the xanthan gum.

mmmmmmmmm, I LOVE CREAM SODA!!!!!

Eileen
05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Scoop Whey
Scoop Xantham
Ice

I've made a version of it a few times, and it's fine. Sort of like a bowl of soft ice-cream. Not sure how jelly in any form would work with it. I've a vague memory that jelly and xantham gum don't go well together.

Eileen
05-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Bought the xanthan gum yesterday, gonna be making this Saturday.

Just add it gradually. Use less than you think you'll need, blend the hell out of it, then add more if necessary. You can't take it out if you use too much.

joeflex73
05-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Just add it gradually. Use less than you think you'll need, blend the hell out of it, then add more if necessary. You can't take it out if you use too much.

I did....it thickened up nicely. Made the 1st time through just chocolate...tonight at work I picked up some sugar free syrups we have on an endcap for Shaved Ice and some SF Jell-o. Made some cherry ice cream. Was delicious.

livestrong21
05-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Ive been mixing a cup of cottage cheese with SF pudding mix and peanut butter...its SO damn good, but a little high in calories for my macros. Im thinking of trying out this recipe, are they in any way similar does anyone know? def. picking up that xantham tomorrow at kroger.

MarkVI
05-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Ive been mixing a cup of cottage cheese with SF pudding mix and peanut butter...its SO damn good, but a little high in calories for my macros. Im thinking of trying out this recipe, are they in any way similar does anyone know? def. picking up that xantham tomorrow at kroger.

Experimenting is the most fun, just try some stuff out -- make sure you blend the xantham A LOT....a little goes a long way.

Knux
05-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I want to make this but without xanthan gum (using gelatin to replace it?) and without cottage cheese.

Any ideas?

MarkVI
05-24-2008, 09:22 PM
I want to make this but without xanthan gum (using gelatin to replace it?) and without cottage cheese.

Any ideas?

why no xantham?

Knux
05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
why no xantham?
I can't really get my hands on it. Plus, it'd be a waste of money if I don't like it.

MarkVI
05-24-2008, 09:31 PM
I can't really get my hands on it. Plus, it'd be a waste of money if I don't like it.

any health food store and it has no taste really and by volume it's cheaper than gelatin....

Though i think at your size and age you should just eat real ice cream.

Eileen
05-25-2008, 01:35 PM

Drop the peanut butter and you'll drop most of the cals.

I do a thing with cottage cheese and SF jelly which is tasty and low cal.

Dissolve a packet of SF jelly powder in about 1/3 of a pint of hot water. Stir then add a tray of icecubes.

Put 100g or so of CC into a blender with around the same volume of cold water, and blend until it is smooth with no curbs. Pour the jelly mixture in on top, and blend until there is no ice rattling. Pour into four containers and chill.

You could use half cottage cheese and half cream cheese if you want more fat.

Eileen
05-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Any ideas?

Try some, if you don't use it, it will keep for ages. I get the best part of a year out of a small jar. Among other things, it tends to stop ice crystals forming, so icecream is softer and easier to eat.

It is always a wonderful thickener. You can use it for thickening gravy etc too.

Knux
05-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Okay, I'll get xanthan gum, but can I make it without CC?

Eileen
05-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Once you have xanthan gum, you can throw anything you like in the blender and it will thicken.

livestrong21
05-25-2008, 03:40 PM
okay guys...here I go, I couldnt find the davinci syrups so until I order some I went by starbucks and got a bottle of their SF hazelnut, soooo Im going to make chocolate hazelnut w/ 1/2c. cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons of coco powder and 2 tablespoons of SF hazelnut and 10 ice cubes and some xantham gum...youll just have to wait until tomorrow to see how it turned out ;)

livestrong21
05-26-2008, 04:55 PM
okay *note* this stuff does not keep in the freezer...I thought it would b/c when i use a cup of cc and freeze it, later its fine... but because of the ice in this one after its frozen it becomes icey, like freezing milk. As for the flavoring i didnt really like the coco powder and hazelnut combo,it was so strong, but I dont really like chocolate to begin with. I think youre better off using the pudding mixes they work well in cottage cheese...Im going to try this again soon though, when I can eat it right after Im done making it :)

Musclefoo
06-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Tootella, do you use low sodium cottage cheese or regular cc? Does it make a difference cause I really wanna try this! What I usually do is mix 2 scoops of cookies and cream Protein powder, crunchy almond butter and nuts in a bowl, mix it up with very little water and the consisity is that of ice cream, while the mixture is still stirable, I then add the Walden Farms Pancake syrup, WF chocolate syrup ground cinniamon and essence of pumkpin pie, put it in the freezer for an hour to and hour and a half and you got ice cream.

Knux
06-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Oh now that I got xanthan gum I wanna make this.

Anyone got any good (tested?) ideas without the cottage cheese? Sounds delicious.

Eileen
06-01-2008, 04:49 PM
You can pretty much do it with just whey powder, ice, a little water and the gum. You may want to add a little extra flavour if your whey tends to be bland.

I've made it with around 20g of whey, a lot of ice, a little water and a tsp of X gum. I added some of my cocoa and coffee goop to make it a stronger chocolate flavour. Makes a big bowlful.

Knux
06-01-2008, 05:02 PM
You can pretty much do it with just whey powder, ice, a little water and the gum. You may want to add a little extra flavour if your whey tends to be bland.

I've made it with around 20g of whey, a lot of ice, a little water and a tsp of X gum. I added some of my cocoa and coffee goop to make it a stronger chocolate flavour. Makes a big bowlful.
Sweet thanks. I'll do that and definitely add some flavoring.

Edit: You have to stop being so helpful! Every time I try to rep you it won't let me :P

Eileen
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Ok, next time I'll just snarl....

Knux
06-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Ok, next time I'll just snarl....
I was being sarcastic! I couldn't keto without you =]

¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT!
06-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Only xanthan gum I found at my grocer was Bob's red mill ad it was very expensive .. huge bag though considering most recipes call for .5 tsp - 1 tblspn max .. but yea didn't see myself spending the same as I would on 2 lbs of brisket on a thickener ..

Knux
06-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Only xanthan gum I found at my grocer was Bob's red mill ad it was very expensive .. huge bag though considering most recipes call for .5 tsp - 1 tblspn max .. but yea didn't see myself spending the same as I would on 2 lbs of brisket on a thickener ..
Yeah it's 10 bucks over here but it should last for months, right?

Knux
06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
This is officially THE best thing EVER

I used a can of spray Heavy Whipping Cream (not much, just a little), Ice, Water, SF Davinci Vanilla Syrup, Walden Farms Caramel (don't use too much of this, very strong flavor), a dash of cinnamon, 2 packets of Splenda (not needed) and about 1 TBSP of Xanthan

it tastes SOOO good. Even my parents like it, and they have strong sweetener tastes

tomorrow im making a different flavor, but this is amazing. Cottage Cheese is NOT needed to make this, and it's delicious!!

Knux
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Here's a pic.

When I made this, I wasn't expecting a good consistency. But when I saw the consistency I FREAKED OUT. I was so excited, and it was sooo good lol.

Anyone tried mint chocolate? If I could perfect that, I would be insanely happy...

edit: LOL it's calorie-free

Eileen
06-03-2008, 01:33 PM

Shop around. Most health food shops have it, and usually in smaller jars. It's usually sold as a rising agent for coeliacs, so you should find it with all the wheat free bread and stuff like that. I buy a small jar and it lasts about a year. And that's making icecream for the children as well.

Tootella
06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Here's a pic.

When I made this, I wasn't expecting a good consistency. But when I saw the consistency I FREAKED OUT. I was so excited, and it was sooo good lol.

Anyone tried mint chocolate? If I could perfect that, I would be insanely happy...

edit: LOL it's calorie-free

calorie free?
what did you put in that mix?

side note: i'm surprised this thread is still going. :D that's awesome. i'm not really doing keto anymore, but i still make this....

Knux
06-03-2008, 07:39 PM
calorie free?
what did you put in that mix?

side note: i'm surprised this thread is still going. :D that's awesome. i'm not really doing keto anymore, but i still make this....
Well it was virtually calorie free :P

I put in Davinci Vanilla, Ice, Water, Caramel, and Cinnamon.

Knux
06-03-2008, 07:56 PM
stay away from mint ice cream unless you can do it perfect on this one x_x It made me sick when I tried to make it

Peanut Butter and Chocolate was good, but I made too much, so now I'm sick to my stomach ;x

¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT!
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM
thanx for the details Eileen . I shall shop 'round

Knux
06-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Vanilla caramel reigns supreme as THE best flavor. I made a perfect batch tonight to get me away from yesterday's disasters ;x

kledbetter
08-15-2008, 06:45 PM
I did something wrong... can u give proportions please?

thanks... the texture is right but it tastes like poo... i was using coco powder and splenda

RippedFibers
08-17-2008, 02:37 PM
How do these proportions look?

1 cup Cottage Cheese
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
20 Ice Cubes
1/2 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
3-4 Tablespoons of Water?

Knux
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM
How do these proportions look?

1 cup Cottage Cheese
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
20 Ice Cubes
1/2 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
3-4 Tablespoons of Water?
Don't eat it. This stuff is so weird, too filling, and not good on a bulk

amj0883
08-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I do 1 cup CC, 1 tbsp SF/FF Chocolate Fudge Pudding Mix, 1/8 tsp Xanthan Gum, 3 packets splenda, water and ice...

I then dip PB in it....

RippedFibers
08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Don't eat it. This stuff is so weird, too filling, and not good on a bulk

I don't become full easy, and im only going to use this on my cut in Nov :D

determined4000
08-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Well it was virtually calorie free :P

I put in Davinci Vanilla, Ice, Water, Caramel, and Cinnamon.

Calorie free?
According to packaging antham gum is 30 calories/ TBSP. ??Do you not count it because it is carbs that all come from fiber? You also said you used a can of whipping cream?

Eileen
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Calorie free?
According to packaging antham gum is 30 calories/ TBSP. ??Do you not count it because it is carbs that all come from fiber? You also said you used a can of whipping cream?

Don't think that is right. In any case, you only use about half a teaspoon for most recipes, and most of that is fibre.

amj0883
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Its pure fiber so I personally do not count that or Psyllium Husk....plus you would only use about 1/8 tsp

Knux
08-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Calorie free?
Whipping cream worked best when I made this, but I'd never make it again.

And calories from xanthan gum are nothing.

determined4000
08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Whipping cream worked best when I made this, but I'd never make it again.

And calories from xanthan gum are nothing.

Why wouldn't u make it again?

An what ratios did you use?

mhinderaker
08-19-2008, 08:01 PM
I think Knux doesn't like it because it's kind of ridiculously filling for how few calories you get out of it.

I tried it because I thought it sounded tasty, and although it DID taste good, I would also not make it again. It is not productive to gaining weight because it has very few calories and makes you feel like you just ate about a horse and a half (at least for me).

If you were trying to lose weight I think it would be fairly acceptable, but for those of us trying to gain mass it simply doesn't make sense, even if it DOES taste good.

Vermonster
08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
it took me a while to play with this to get it right. it's delicious. i agree, prolly not best for bulking.

MariaCL
06-23-2009, 11:13 AM
is it ok to put this in the freezer? i just made it (delicious) but have to go to work!! or do you have to eat it right after you make it?

bodybuilter
10-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Sorry to bump it, but for 100 gram cottege cheese, how much ice-cubes\water shoudl i use? also, how much gum should i put?
Last question - how the texture is? its thick? The big blender would be good to blend it all? (I dont have food processor - ONly blender)

carnivorian
10-02-2009, 02:37 AM
bump?

Eileen
10-02-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm not sure what the original recipe is any more, but my rule for blending cottage cheese would be use half the amount of water as you have CC, so 100g of CC would be blended with 50ml water. Then add ice-cubes/gum/flavour etc. Yes, you can do everything in a big blender. Make sure it's a strong one, ice cubes wreck little ones.

bodybuilter
10-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Just a quick update, i tryed the recipe and its was awsome, i used 100gram cottege cheese,100 ML WATER, 10 ICE-CUBES, 1tbsp Walden-farms Choco-Syrup,4 sweetners Sachets,And 1\2 tea-spoon xanthan, i blended all with big blender, and froze it for an 1 Hour, Ok, its not really like ice-cream or frozen yogurt, its more pudding\yogurt thingy, its were freagin awsome, ive got 2 big cups of it from the ingredients..

STA1011
10-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Can u use cornstarch instead of xantham gum?

carnivorian
10-05-2009, 11:36 AM
yes, but youll need x4 cornstrach then xahtna..

ctgblue
10-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I just use 2 scoops of Optimum 100% casein.
I blend it up with 16 oz ice and water until I have to spatula it out of the blender
then I freeze it for 30 minutes and eat it with a spoon
kept me from going insane my last prep
I like vanilla but all their flavors are great

carnivorian
10-05-2009, 01:48 PM
damn what should i do, when i put ice cubes in blender and setting the "ice-crush" option, the blender just stuck, its not crushs the ice, maybe its to big? any ideas what can i do?

STA1011
10-05-2009, 03:12 PM
damn what should i do, when i put ice cubes in blender and setting the "ice-crush" option, the blender just stuck, its not crushs the ice, maybe its to big? any ideas what can i do?

Dont put em all in at once.
Dont just hold the button down, gotta do it a lil, let it settle 1 sec, do it a lil, etc....

carnivorian
10-05-2009, 04:34 PM
you mean add for example 2 ice cubes, mash it, then add more 2 ice cubes and mash?

dani5162
12-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Have made this twice now with milk and fruit. (blueberry/raspberry w/vanilla is yum.) Tis delicious.
Thanks!