PDA

View Full Version : Help me lose weight! (long read, please bear with me)

placebro
04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying that this is a great forum! I have been reading through a lot of similar forums over the last few days and this was by far the friendliest, most intelligent, and most informative. This forum has a lot of assets to be thankful for (not the least of which is Alan Aragon).

Anyway, I hope I could get some advice from the friendly folks here. First of all, I am 28 years old, 6'0", and 279 lbs. I am obviously well overweight. You wouldn't know it to look at me; if you were to see me with my shirt on most people would probably guess that I am around 230 lbs. I would think that with my body type I would probably look best at right around 195-210 lbs., depending on how much lean muscle mass I can acquire on the way down.

I started off this fitness kick at about 355 lbs. about a year ago. Losing weight has not been a problem - coming to the realization that I have to do it correctly is where I run into trouble.

Thankfully for me, I LOVE going to the gym. I work out probably 6-10 times a week. However, I never understood the proper nutrition and supplements that could enhance a workout.

Let me go over my typical routine:

Every time at the gym I start off by doing 25-35 minutes on an elliptical machine, burning around 500 calories. Then I move on to weight training:

Day 1 - Chest (bench press, decline bench press, butterfly, bench press machine)
Day 2 - Arms (curling bar curl and reverse curl, dumbbell curl, seated curl, tricep pulldown)
Day 3 - Shoulders (military press, dumbbell standing and seated shoulder press, military press machine, shrugs)

I generally go through these 3 days and then on the fourth day I go back to day 1. Usually 1-3 times a week I will make it to the gym twice in one day. On those days what I will do the second time will alternate between these:

Second Visit 1 - 45-50 minutes of cardio (~800-900 calories), abs workouts
Second Visit 2 - 25-35 minutes of cardio (~500 calories), legs workout (leg press, leg extension, leg curl, calf raise)

My diet generally consists of 1400-1800 calories a day. I eat small meals every 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I have found some foods I like so generally my diet doesn't change much from week to week. Here are some examples of "meals" I will have throughout the day:

1. Organic Protein Bar (~300 calories, 30g protein)
2. Organic Bar (~180 calories, 10g protein) and organic whole grain cracker (100 calories, 4-5g protein)
3. Grilled Organic Chicken Breast, Steamed Asparagus (or Broccoli)
4. Some organic fruit (usually banana, kiwi, or mango) with the organic bar or cracker from # 2
5. Grilled Salmon Filet with steamed mixed vegetables

I also have and have had many friends who have experienced great success and results with the Shaklee line of vitamin supplements. I have been taking their multivitamin, osteo-matrix, vita-c, soy lecithin, alfalfa, and omega-3 fatty acids.

My workout partner is in the opposite situation as I am. He is a few inches shorter but exactly half my weight. He is trying to put on weight. I went with him into GNC about a week ago as he wanted to re-up on some Halo Creatine. Generally the people at GNC really bother me, as they sound like pushy used car salesmen. But this particular associate seemed very informative, intelligent, and was not the least bit pushy. I asked him what he would recommend for someone in my situation - loves working out, loves going to the gym, trying to lose weight, wants to gain lean muscle mass but lose pounds overall.

He recommended that both my friend and I take some sort of pre-workout supplement. He went over each one and we decided to try Black Powder. He recommended for me that I should take Wheybolic Extreme 60. I told him that I thought the body can only process 30g of protein at a time and this product had 60; he said that when the body is hungry after a workout it can process a lot more. He touted the Wheybolic because it only had 8g carbs and 3g sugars. I liked the idea that it was only 280 calories.

I have used these two products before and after workouts ever since. It has only been a week, but the Black Powder is amazing as far as me going so much harder at the gym -- doing more sets, not wanting to leave, getting 60 good minutes in instead of crashing after 10. I have been taking it on an empty stomach, as directed. As far as the Wheybolic, I can say that I do love the taste. I am not sure if it is helping me otherwise.

Casually reading up on the subject, it seems most experts are recommending that I should be getting a lot more carbs than I have in my post-workout shake. I have been reading about a 2:1 ratio. That would put me at 120g of carbs with my Wheybolic, which would leave me with at least 720 calories...plus I am reading I should eat another 50g or so each of carbs and protein an hour later, putting me at 1120 calories within an hour of my workout. In addition, I am seeing that I should be eating similar meals before my workout, putting me at over 1500 calories just in the 4-hour window (90 pre, 60 workout, 90 after) of my workout. I am used to consuming that much the entire day now I am going to do that just in the workout?! Everything sounds like it makes so much sense but I am somewhat afraid to step up my calories so much! If I go to the gym twice in one day (like I have been enjoying, especially with 2 weeks paid vacation coming up), I will be eating 3000 calories just to satisfy my workouts!

Does anyone have any advice for my situation other than biting the bullet and loading up on the extra calories? It wouldn't be such a dilemma for me if I weren't so aware of the obvious benefits of adding these calories.

Also, if Alan Aragon happens to be reading this (or anyone else so informed and friendly), I would be willing to pay you if you could help me design the best pre- and post-workout shake mixes on True Protein Dot Com. I was going through it last night and thought I had the perfect post-workout shake, but I am still short on carbs if I want to reach the 2-1 ratio:

450 calories:

45g protein:
(22g whey protein isolate ion-exch)
(6g micellar casein)
(6g glutemine peptides)
(12g branch chain amino acids - leucine, isoleucine, valine)

66g carbohydrate:
(36g dextrose)
(18g waxy maize starch)
(12g whole grain brown rice carbohydrate)

(6g creatine monohydrate powder)

Should I get rid of the creatine and lower the protein to 40g to get the carbs up to 75-80?

How about a pre-workout shake?

Anyway, if you read this far I thank you and I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks!

cncretecbwo
04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
why on earth do you not work out your back or legs? neglecting those is an awful idea

also, read this
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3720211

placebro
04-24-2008, 11:24 AM
why on earth do you not work out your back or legs? neglecting those is an awful idea

I do a legs (leg press, leg curl, leg extension, calf raise) workout once per week. Thanks for the advice though, perhaps I should add some back work to the abs days.

ihop1411
04-24-2008, 11:26 AM
ok well first off...1500 cals is wayy low, i would suggest never going below at least 2000. if you conisistently eat at such a low level you could cause your metabolic rate to adjust and then you'd be stuck with an insanely slow metabolism, which would suck

a quick question about your workout-do you not work your back? deadlifts are a huge total body movement that suck up a lot of cals.

in reference to the pre and post workout nutrition, these things they're talking about are for creating the optimum conditions to build muscle. a lot of people will tell you that its impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. whether thats true or not, it seems to be the concensus. for me, i usually just eat a meal of around 50grams of protein and around an equal number of carbs about an hour before i hit the gym. then immediately afterwards, i'll slam down a shake of about 50 more grams of whey and 30 or so grams of dextrose. some people here are now saying that if your pre workout nutrition was adequate (enough complex carbs) that the insulin spike post workout is not needed, so you'll have to see what works best for you i guess on that. and finally, about an hour or so after i get back from the gym i'll eat another meal somewhat similar to my pre workout meal.

im in no means an expert but hopefully this helps

Wilki29
04-24-2008, 11:30 AM
I do a legs (leg press, leg curl, leg extension, calf raise) workout once per week. Thanks for the advice though, perhaps I should add some back work to the abs days.

Yea you need to add in back work by adding in things like rows, and chinups. Also I noticed you do entirely too much curling. For arms you should work your triceps much more. Adding in squats or deadlift for leg day is also a great idea. The more compound exercises, the better. No offense, but you diet is lousy. 1500 is extremely low, and your gonna end up messing up your metabolism. Do some research on this stuff before you cut. There is no sense in starting something you dont know much about. Get a base first and then work from there.

placebro
04-24-2008, 11:32 AM
a quick question about your workout-do you not work your back? deadlifts are a huge total body movement that suck up a lot of cals.

Thanks for the other input, ihop, but as far as back goes...it sounds like I should incorporate some on my abs day. I guess I was always intimidated by the deadlift -- worried I'd use the wrong form, or that I'd have to start with such a low weight to be comfortable that I wouldn't be getting much of a workout.

Thanks though!

Wilki29
04-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the other input, ihop, but as far as back goes...it sounds like I should incorporate some on my abs day. I guess I was always intimidated by the deadlift -- worried I'd use the wrong form, or that I'd have to start with such a low weight to be comfortable that I wouldn't be getting much of a workout.

Thanks though!

dude you gotta start somewhere. If you afraid to do deadlift, why are in the gym in the first place? never be afraid to lift heavy. As for form, get educated on it, and start off slow. If you need to you can also ask for help in the gym, or if you have the money, hire a trainer.

placebro
04-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Adding in squats or deadlift for leg day is also a great idea. The more compound exercises, the better. No offense, but you diet is lousy. 1500 is extremely low, and your gonna end up messing up your metabolism.

Thanks, I think I will do the following now: aim for 2000-2200 calories a day - this would make my pre- and post-workout meals not scare me so much.

I think also instead of only have three days (chest/arms/shoulders) and only doing legs when I am doubling up a day, I will move to 5 days (chest/legs/arms/back/shoulders).

I am trying to do my best to piece together the best advice from different informed people. Unfortunately since everyone has their own opinions it's not like I can simply research the best plan for me because 7 experts could have 7 different but equally valid approaches. I think I am starting to narrow it down now, and I am going to go ahead and order some custom shakes based on my ideas and all the help provided in these forums.

ihop1411
04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I will move to 5 days (chest/legs/arms/back/shoulders).

much better workout

Wilki29
04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks, I think I will do the following now: aim for 2000-2200 calories a day - this would make my pre- and post-workout meals not scare me so much.

I think also instead of only have three days (chest/arms/shoulders) and only doing legs when I am doubling up a day, I will move to 5 days (chest/legs/arms/back/shoulders).

I am trying to do my best to piece together the best advice from different informed people. Unfortunately since everyone has their own opinions it's not like I can simply research the best plan for me because 7 experts could have 7 different but equally valid approaches. I think I am starting to narrow it down now, and I am going to go ahead and order some custom shakes based on my ideas and all the help provided in these forums.

you could just do a three day workout and do chest/back, legs, and arms/shoulders, and add abs at the end of a workout or something. I know what you mean about experts telling you what to do. I just try and find people in the field who know what they are doing and try out what they say. If it doesnt work for me I try something different. I cant tell you how many different programs and nutrition plans ive tried. Its all about trial and error. Only way your gonna know whats good for you, is by trying it out.

cncretecbwo
04-24-2008, 12:08 PM
back legs and chest are the 3 most important things to work out.

shoulders are next followed by abs and arms.

Have you read anything by mark rippetoe? read Starting Strength if you havent