PDA

View Full Version : 1000 calorie salad with 20+ grams protein

ch2s
04-22-2008, 10:26 PM
As some of you know I eat a mostly raw, mostly vegan diet, for health reasons. I used to almost never eat salad, or very rarely due to the lack of calories.

A few weeks ago I invented my own 1000 calorie salad with over 20 grams of protein and have been making it often since. Here's how I make it:

Ingredients:
-1 box cherry tomatoes
-1-2 scallions/green onions, or to taste
-Chopped onion, to taste (I put a small pearl onion)
-Few handfuls of spinach leaves
-1 cup of walnuts (900 calories, 20 grams protein)
-1 clove garlic
-Sea salt
-Olive oil
-Apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or lime juice

In a food processor (I'm too lazy to chop it all by hand), put garlic and process until finely chopped, then add cherry tomatoes, scallions, onion, spinach, walnuts and sea salt and pulse just a few times to chop the tomatoes and mix everything togheter.

Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar or lime juice.

neueziel
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Nice I guess?

Maybe add some tofu?

SouthsideIrish44
04-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Looks good man. I'd need some chicken and less walnuts though ;)

ch2s
04-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Nice I guess?

Maybe add some tofu?

Tofu is very unhealthy and I never touch that or any soy products other than organic soy sauce. It looks like it would taste like crap anyway (never had any).

Read up on the dangers of soy, especially if you consume soy products.

neueziel
04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Oooh forgot about the whole estrogen issue...

How about mixed nuts for variety? Or would that be too many flavors conflicting..

ch2s
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I guess I could try mixed nuts, but I've been eating a lot of walnuts recently.

I also often make ground walnut meat, which is surprisingly similar to ground beef with the right spices, and make raw buritoes with it, it's really good.

By the way, estrogen is just one of the many dangers of soy.

neueziel
04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Tell me about this ground walnut meat it sounds intersting.

ch2s
04-22-2008, 10:55 PM
What I do is put 1 cup of walnuts in the food processor and process until finely ground, like coarse couscous, but don't overprocess as walnuts turn to butter very quickly and it won't have the right texture.

To the ground walnuts, add just a bit of liquid like soy sauce, tabasco sauce, or even water. Add the spices of your choice like chili powder and salt for example and process or mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed and it starts looking like ground meat.

To make buritoes with this I usually add tomatoes, scallions, lime juice, etc. (essentially a salsa) and wrap it (to be 100% raw it should be wrapped in a lettuce or collard leaf, but I prefer to use an organic cooked tortilla wrap, it's still like 90% raw).

This has as much protein as beef but none of the health problems, and is much easier to prepare.