PDA

View Full Version : Excess Vitamin A & E

Love Pirate
04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I have heard that taking in too much vitamin A and E over time can be harmful instead of helpful to your body. Anyone have thoughts or research on this?

Ninjacarrot
04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
look it up? its really easy to find.

Vitamins A and E are fat soluble and not water soluble so you can't piss out the excess.

if you need a reference for that type in www.google.com

in10city
04-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I have heard that taking in too much vitamin A and E over time can be harmful instead of helpful to your body. Anyone have thoughts or research on this?
All depends on the forms. Vitamin E and carotenoids should be in a mixed form as they work in groups not alone. Taking a single form of either would displace other forms and thus can have negative health effects.

Beta-carotene should be natural form and mixed carotenoids in the proper ratios with carotenoids such as alpha-carotene, lycopene and lutein.

Pre-formed Vitamin A has negative potential when dosed too high.

Vitamin E should be in a natural form rich in gamma tocopherol with all 8 isoforms present - 4 tocopherols and 4 tocotrienols. Too much alpha can displace gamma and other forms and can have negative effects over time.

LeftyBaseballr
04-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm actually in Biology 242 right now and have a test tomorrow and one of the chapters is Animal Nutrition. Vitamin A & E are Fat-Soluble Vitamins. Fat-Soluble Vitamins are not excreted and are deposited in body fat, so overconsumption can result in an accumulation to toxis levels.