PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who put oats in their PWO

MJfinns
04-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I am about to start doing it because I went to costco and got a ridiculous size bag and it will all go bad before I can eat it all myself only cooked for breakfast and also because its a synergist with the protein. Ok so here is my quest do you just put in a scoop uncooked and thats all there is to it?

Dave P
04-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I usually grind them up first.

SouthsideIrish44
04-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Just a scoop's all I do - I don't bother with a grinder. Whenever I've tried to mix in my whey with hot oatmeal the protein has clumped into these gel-like balls and it's disgusting.

G.D.
04-15-2008, 09:47 PM
works good for me, good combo of protein and carbs...

MJfinns
04-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the help all oh also how much do you think is in a scoop because this gigantic bag didn't come with one. 1/3 of a cup sound right?

Chris180
04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
how do you guys actaully grind up the oats.. i really cant find a decent way to get it not to be clumpy

Dave P
04-15-2008, 10:12 PM
I have one of those ultimate choppers :(. Push the button down for about 20-30 seconds and it turns into powder.

MJfinns
04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I have one of those ultimate choppers :(. Push the button down for about 20-30 seconds and it turns into powder.

Ooo smart I might have to invest in one of those

Edit: By the way I think 1/3 was too much

androyd
04-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Forget grinding them, they taste awesome raw in a PWO shake. Just let them sit in the shake for about 5 mins or so before drinking and they'll have soaked up a bit of the whey, milk, and/or water that you may use in your shake. FWIW, I use 60g (3/4 cup) of oats in mine.

The Solution
04-15-2008, 11:39 PM
I am about to start doing it because I went to costco and got a ridiculous size bag and it will all go bad before I can eat it all myself only cooked for breakfast and also because its a synergist with the protein. Ok so here is my quest do you just put in a scoop uncooked and thats all there is to it?

yes just throw them in your blender, they grind just fine, if you seem to have trouble you could invest in a coffee grinder to make them more of a powder like substance.

IMO its a waste of 20$ just to grind your oats before you throw them in another grinder ( a blender ) because its doing the same thing.

Or just make a bowl of oats post-workout and throw a scoop of whey on top cooked in milk, its the same thing but ur eating instead of drinking it.

Definitelynotme
04-16-2008, 12:37 AM
1 cup of uncooked oats

leblanc
04-16-2008, 12:47 AM
I use one cup of quick oats. It's the first ingredient I put in the shake. First I add some water then dump in the oats then blend at the highest setting. Make sure there is just enough water so all the oats and submerged and circulate around the blades. I keep blending for a bit until it is smooth then add the other ingredients and more water as needed. I find if I add the oats after the other ingredients then they don't blend as well. They end up just swirling around in the blender without getting in the blades.