PDA

View Full Version : Are There Christian Terrorists?

LUCKY_13
04-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Islamic Terrorists fight under Islam...that's their main reason...OR SO THEY SAY!

But are there any Christian Armies or Groups that do that?

b.spencer
04-08-2008, 05:56 AM
Yes, there are. There are not as many, but there are some. Here's link to one in India, the NLFT, a militant Baptist group of separatists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Liberation_Front_of_Tripura
http://www.stephen-knapp.com/thirteen_years_of_killings_in_tripura.htm

In the US, there is the Army of God, the anti-abortion, anti-gay, etc. Christian terror group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_God

gumbyonroids
04-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Yes, there are. There are not as many, but there are some. Here's link to one in India, the NLFT, a militant Baptist group of separatists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Liberation_Front_of_Tripura
http://www.stephen-knapp.com/thirteen_years_of_killings_in_tripura.htm

In the US, there is the Army of God, the anti-abortion, anti-gay, etc. Christian terror group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_God

Yet, around the world we have problems from islamofascists not christians. The fact I haven't even heard of some of the above proves my point.

Then, you have the atheists responsible for the most death and destruction in our modern era.

Beatitude
04-08-2008, 08:55 AM
The three hotspots are India, northern Uganda, and Indonesia:

http://dailysalty.blogspot.com/2007/10/christian-terrorism-in-india-uganda-and.html

squanto
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
In modern Christians you can see a very clear gradient of extremism, and two generally very different groups; your "normal" Christian, and fundamentalists. We all know the differences, but it boils down to people not interpreting scripture literally, whether it be due to moral structure or education.

In Islam, the divide is much less pronounced, and, as far as I can see there are much more fundamentalists than anything else.

Homosexuality is a good example. The average Christian might not like his neighbor being gay, but probably wouldn't want him harmed, despite the orders in his holy book. For the Muslims, murdering gay people (in Islamic states) is part of the religion, and they either won't or can't abandon it.

To answer the question, yes, there probably are. But in general, this is the reason it's less common than Islamic extremists.

SYRIANKID
04-08-2008, 09:11 AM
There are plenty if you count people who are fighting for their religion, but they have the ability to join national armies so they don't get accounted for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Mendoza_gold/2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Mendoza_gold/1-2.jpg

b.spencer
04-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Yet, around the world we have problems from islamofascists not christians. The fact I haven't even heard of some of the above proves my point.

I suspect you have heard of the Catholic/Protestant terror campaigns in Ireland. That caused plenty of problems.

Or, could it be that the fact that you have never heard of them only proves that media outlets in Christian countries are biased toward Christianity and Judaism. I would call having Christian terror organizations in India and Indonesia (affecting over 20% of the world's population) a planetary level problem.

Before you say it, I'm not defending Islamic terrorist groups. Islam is just as indefensible as any other religion, especially in its militancy among large minority segments, and the lack of freedom in most Islamic nations. No one should kill innocents to make political points or enforce religious edicts. But, to turn a blind eye to Christianity's own hypocrisy in this area is just unfair.

Cramerica
04-08-2008, 09:30 AM
There are plenty if you count people who are fighting for their religion, but they have the ability to join national armies so they don't get accounted for.

So do you have any proof that there are soldiers in the US military whose reasons for joining and fighting are strictly to wreak terror in the name of religion?

Turco
04-08-2008, 09:43 AM

People of faith fighting a war is different than people fighting a war that has religious reasons/goals.

The 2nd picture is probably taken during a service or a prayer session; the guy looks like a chaplain. You can snap hundreds of such photos (uniformed men holding crosses) every Sunday (or any other day for that matter) on any base around the world.

squanto
04-08-2008, 09:44 AM
People of faith fighting a war is different than people fighting a war that has religious reasons/goals.

QFT.

JamesGatz83
04-08-2008, 09:59 AM

Then, you have the atheists responsible for the most death and destruction in our modern era.

"Islamofascists". Did the neocons send you a copy of their political dictionary? How is it possible for a forty-eight-year-old to be this impressionable?

The Islamic world is experiencing an inordinate amount of violence at the moment because of foreign occupation, corrupt governments, and political turmoil within its traditional boundaries. Most Islamic countries are light years behind the West in economic and political development.

Terrorism is an artifact of these conditions, not religious doctrine. You need look no further than Iraq for proof. Any decent analyst will tell you how much easier terrorist recruitment has become in the wake of our invasion.

US_Ranger
04-08-2008, 10:31 AM

The 2nd picture is probably taken during a service or a prayer session; the guy looks like a chaplain. You can snap hundreds of such photos (uniformed men holding crosses) every Sunday (or any other day for that matter) on any base around the world.

QFT

Seriously SK, that was a WEAK attempt and pretty ignorant in my opinion.

Ibanez
04-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Christian Missionaires, duh!

"It's manifest destiny, we are God's Warriors!"

asiya-sparkles
04-08-2008, 10:40 AM
In modern Christians you can see a very clear gradient of extremism, and two generally very different groups; your "normal" Christian, and fundamentalists. We all know the differences, but it boils down to people not interpreting scripture literally, whether it be due to moral structure or education.

In Islam, the divide is much less pronounced, and, as far as I can see there are much more fundamentalists than anything else.

Homosexuality is a good example. The average Christian might not like his neighbor being gay, but probably wouldn't want him harmed, despite the orders in his holy book. For the Muslims, murdering gay people (in Islamic states) is part of the religion, and they either won't or can't abandon it.

To answer the question, yes, there probably are. But in general, this is the reason it's less common than Islamic extremists.

There are approx one and a half billion Muslims globally...and the majority pose no threat, isn't it funny how if a Christian becomes a terrorist it is because he is not following his scriptures correctly...yet you can't accept that simple fact with Islam. Also, if you wanted to look at violence in context to religion...then you have to acknowledge that Bush called his war on 'terror' a Christian action... that rather changes the whole numbers game, don't you think?

Words are easy to chuck around. But actually, if you look at facts...reality based not hypothesis then the proportion of 'Terrorists' within Islam is minute. Semantics change people defending their rights and culture on their own homeground to 'terrorists'... which means that if what you dread happened...i.e. Muslims invaded, bombed you back to the dark ages and instilled Islam and killed your men, women and children...in fighting against that, you'd become a terrorist in your own home! Kinda ridiculous really!

And before you start...Yes, absolutely there are a proportion of people who have been attracted to fight in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan etc... who definitely are harbingers of terror...and they fall into both the category of self proclaimed muslim and self proclaimed christian, or even soldiers of fortune...etc. Where there is conflict evil is certainly attracted.

Calhexas
04-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Not everyone in the army is a gun-toting soldier, although most if not all are instructed in combat.

And there are indeed atheists and people of other religions within the US army. They may not be as plentiful as christians, but America is christian by majority so it's simple statistics.

People of all beliefs have fought in wars, so it's ridiculous to try and blame a war on any one specific religion, or religion at all for that matter. It takes man to start a war...religion is nothing until man hijacks it for his own agenda.

SYRIANKID
04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
So do you have any proof that there are soldiers in the US military whose reasons for joining and fighting are strictly to wreak terror in the name of religion?

The best proof you can get is to listen to some soldiers speak amongst themselves. Ask them directly how they contextualize the conflict with respect to their religion. Just from what people have admitted about the "Christian" context of the war on this forum, and from the videos that troops themselves post about how they feel about Islam and Muslims, you can start your list of evidence.

Motives can only be known when they are personally admitted, so are soldiers going to admit they are killing people for religious reasons during an interview or a press conference? Probably not. But are they going to admit that to their friends? Absolutely, and take pride in it too. There are people who are fighting against a religion they consider false, and against its followers. There are people who see the Iraq war as part of a Christian crusade.

So let's not be stupid and coy: there are religious extremists within the military who are NOT just fighting for the official reasons. Go speak with people and find out.

photomasterx
04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
The best proof you can get is to listen to some soldiers speak amongst themselves. Ask them directly how they contextualize the conflict with respect to their religion. Just from what people have admitted about the "Christian" context of the war on this forum, and from the videos that troops themselves post about how they feel about Islam and Muslims, you can start your list of evidence.

So let's not be stupid and coy: there are religious extremists within the military who are NOT just fighting for the official reasons. Go speak with people and find out.

This is true.

Lt. Gen. William G. is a good example of this situation.

Ibanez
04-08-2008, 01:26 PM
"Christians have an obligation, a mandate, a commission, a holy responsibility to reclaim the land for Jesus Christ -- to have dominion in civil structures, just as in every other aspect of life and godliness. But it is dominion we are after. Not just a voice. It is dominion we are after. Not just influence. It is dominion we are after. Not just equal time. It is dominion we are after. World conquest. That's what Christ has commissioned us to accomplish. We must win the world with the power of the Gospel. And we must never settle for anything less... Thus, Christian politics has as its primary intent the conquest of the land -- of men, families, institutions, bureaucracies, courts, and governments for the Kingdom of Christ." (From The Changing of the Guard: Biblical Principles for Political Action by George Grant, published in 1987 by Dominion Press)

theredshirt
04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
its true that a lot of american soilders have also bought into some of the religious war ideology. Bush himself had a freudian slip and called it a crusade. (although I dont think bush actually knew what crusade meant).

I like to think of christians who bomb or shoot abortion clinics and doctors. For sure they are commiting terrorist acts. Then again, how about the hippys that bomb animal testing facilities? It seems to me, those who have strong views often times result in violence. Even if the central message of your belief system is love. think about it, Islam's core message is peace. Christiany's peace/love, hippies=peace love harmony. But all three have terrorists acts behind their belt. Thats why keeping rational thought, and a solid foundation of skepticism is good!

Enso
04-08-2008, 02:09 PM

The topic of the thread is TERRORIST. I'm sure most of the members of any Arabic Armed Forces unit are Muslim. That doesn't make them terrorist.

I can't believe you just made that jump :confused:

gumbyonroids
04-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I suspect you have heard of the Catholic/Protestant terror campaigns in Ireland. That caused plenty of problems.

Or, could it be that the fact that you have never heard of them only proves that media outlets in Christian countries are biased toward Christianity and Judaism. I would call having Christian terror organizations in India and Indonesia (affecting over 20% of the world's population) a planetary level problem.

Before you say it, I'm not defending Islamic terrorist groups. Islam is just as indefensible as any other religion, especially in its militancy among large minority segments, and the lack of freedom in most Islamic nations. No one should kill innocents to make political points or enforce religious edicts. But, to turn a blind eye to Christianity's own hypocrisy in this area is just unfair.

The terror campaigns as you put it in Ireland are a pittance as compared to the worldwide islamofascism the world is experiencing now. Christians in your modern day are just not comparable. Pointing to some small group causing problems that call themselves christian and attaching their actions to the entirety of christianity shows a profound lack of reason.

Trying to say media outlets are biased is irrelevant. I have access to around the world news outlets. The reason these other groups are little knows is because what they have done/are doing is a drop in the bucket compared to the extreme violence being commited by islamofascists and atheists.

bifodus
04-08-2008, 02:15 PM
It's called the US Military.

squanto
04-08-2008, 02:24 PM
It's called the US Military.

That's kind of a broad generalization. It definitely has some truth to it, but we're speaking in terms of trends, not exceptions.

Any war has religious people in it, who are in turn most likely motivated by religion. But Muslims are more frequently motivated by their religion exclusively to commit atrocities. Look at any Islamic state.

RIKTER
04-08-2008, 03:12 PM

When one lacks facts, stats and common sense to back up their claims...what else do you expect them to do ;)

SYRIANKID
04-08-2008, 08:25 PM

I don't know what I was thinking:

1) People fighting a war for religious reasons, killing people of another faith. Conveniently, anyone who resists the war/occupation or foreign interference in domestic politics is grouped with "terrorists". Anyone who does not support the occupation is by definition a "terrorist"

2) Murder of innocent, unarmed civilians: can be conveniently excused with "there was a terrorist in their midst" every single time.

3) Destruction of places of worship under the blanket and unsubstantiated excuse that "Al Qaida was hiding inside".

4) Use of human shields: soldiers throwing or passing around candy to children in the middle of a warzone so that they congregate around the soldiers.

DaCougarMech
04-08-2008, 08:29 PM
oklahoma bombing?

smokeater
04-08-2008, 08:57 PM

Those guys are fighting for their country, not the advancement of their religion. Those men hold crosses and pray for protection, not so they can win a victory for Christ.

2X-eed
04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Haha, I remember during Basic Training we had a Chaplain that was asked if he had/could potentially be put in a combat situation. He replied "I don't think I would, but if I was put in the position, I'd get on the 50 cal and shoot some rounds for Jesus!" All the soldiers (except myself) responding with a loud "HUAAAA".

I'm not saying he was a terrorist, but jus' sayin'. :)

timbo81
04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
The three hotspots are India, northern Uganda, and Indonesia:

http://dailysalty.blogspot.com/2007/10/christian-terrorism-in-india-uganda-and.html

I disagree with the indonesia part.

ambon island is simply christians trying to survive. They are a minority living in the largest islamic country on earth, and the authorities are mostly ignoring what's going on there or unsympathetic to their plight.

the lord's army as it's called in uganda is just another warlord trying for a land grab. quite frankly africans don't really need much of an excuse to start a war to overthrow their countries ruling party.

never even heard of the indian group but it seems more of a push for independance from india than anything else.

Twisted_Psyche
04-08-2008, 09:25 PM
4) Use of human shields: soldiers throwing or passing around candy to children in the middle of a warzone so that they congregate around the soldiers.

I know this may be hard for you to believe, but some people don't use children as human shields. Troops have been passing out candy to children for decades.

We don't need to use retarded women and children, unlike some other people...

Nagalfar
04-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Motives can only be known when they are personally admitted, so are soldiers going to admit they are killing people for religious reasons during an interview or a press conference? Probably not. But are they going to admit that to their friends? Absolutely, and take pride in it too. There are people who are fighting against a religion they consider false, and against its followers. There are people who see the Iraq war as part of a Christian crusade.

I spent 6 years of my life in the Corps, granted I am not a lifer, but I NEVER ONCE seen anything close to what you claim as being true, in fact I would sum up most of my brothers as being the classical text book definition of HEATHENS! and we loved every second of it! LOL.. just thinking about some of them still brings a smile to my face, and fear when I see one of their names on my caller ID.

The most religious was without a doubt the Chaplin.. go figure.

Your wrong.. completely.

asiya-sparkles
04-09-2008, 07:58 AM
The topic of the thread is TERRORIST. I'm sure most of the members of any Arabic Armed Forces unit are Muslim. That doesn't make them terrorist.

ter?ror?ism (tr-rzm)
n.
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Noun 1. terrorism - the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear