PDA

View Full Version : Calculating body fat %

bmanmob
10-18-2001, 04:17 PM
Has anyone used lamuscle.com to calculate their body fat percentage? Is this accurate? I've noticed that the waist size entered greatly affects the resulting body fat percentage it gives back. What is the proper way to measure your waist size? I don't know exactly where to measure and the slightly different sizes I am getting are greatly changing the BF% I get back. Thanks.

Max Musclehed
10-19-2001, 02:37 PM
Do you have access to a pair of the calipers most gyms use to measure BF? If you can get someone to do a "Pinch" test on you, those are usually the closest you can get without having a hydrostatic weighing done (assuming the tester knows what he/she is doing).
Good luck!

WorldMuscle
10-19-2001, 02:45 PM
I"ve learned through experience that most calculation techniques don't work so well, I"d just go to your local gym or the bodybuilding.com online store and purchase one of their cheap yet reliable testers.

Jay
10-21-2001, 12:26 PM
yeah but u have to know how to use them and stuff. i was talking to someone and if ur hydrated or not there is a big difference

D&G
10-22-2001, 06:55 AM
I think whether you are hydrated refers to the Tanita bodyfat scales, I am not sure how accurate the lamuscle one is but it probably assumes you have a certain composition of body fat, some people carry more in some places than others. Calipes are probably the way to go unless you can afford the under-water weighing thing.

Pierre.S
10-24-2001, 04:58 PM
I've had my BF tested 3 different ways by 5 people on the same day. Range from 5-15%. I've seen guys shredded score like 12%and some guy who doesn't have an ab score 10%. I have never measured mine before or around a contest. It will really get into your head.."OOOHHH SS(*&^(&&^$T!!!, I've been eating fish heads and cabbage for twelve weeks and I am 9%!!" Screw that!!!! The mirror is the only way to go. A new vein here, a new striation there is really what matters to me.

Ice Man
10-25-2001, 01:16 PM
Man thats a good point. I have one of those body weight scales and they can say I'm 18.5 to 14.5 then that same day I can have calipers and they say I'm 11% I don't know what the truth is. I know it can't be too low since I can't see any abs though.

tony567
02-23-2010, 09:28 AM
I've had my BF tested 3 different ways by 5 people on the same day. Range from 5-15%. I've seen guys shredded score like 12%and some guy who doesn't have an ab score 10%. I have never measured mine before or around a contest. It will really get into your head.."OOOHHH SS(*&^(&&^$T!!!, I've been eating fish heads and cabbage for twelve weeks and I am 9%!!" Screw that!!!! The mirror is the only way to go. A new vein here, a new striation there is really what matters to me.

true... same also goes for weight, it varies.. you might be lighter one week but look bigger than last!

LeChiffre
02-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Don't worry about precise numbers. Calipers work just fine for a fairly accurate idea. REMEMBER: the ultimate goal is how you look, and therefore, how you feel about yourself!!

TZ85USAF
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM
What's the price range of most good calipers?

OCShaun
10-16-2013, 11:33 PM
You can get a Accu-Measure Body Fat Caliper on amazon for around $6 plus shipping...

Edgysparta
10-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Hey, I had lost 110 lbs last year and had recently started working out, I am working out 6 days a week and the problem I had in my bind is body fat percentage I know we see abs when we get around 8-9% bodyfat but I couldn't guess at what body fat % am I at? Could you please help me out? By looking at my pro pic.

mrmgreene
11-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Hydrostatic test, it is the only way to get a real body fat, I am 5.2 percent.

dozenne
01-06-2016, 09:11 AM
I see where people have their body fat and lean muscle numbers entered in their profile.
How do you calculate them as mine are blank b/c I don't know how to figure them out.

Tommy W.
01-06-2016, 09:35 AM
The mirror is the best tool and also photos. Too much emphasis is placed on bodyfat numbers. Everybody holds fat in different places so % is misleading more times than not. You don't walk around with your BF% listed on your shirt, your body will speak for itself. Try just gauging your fatloss progress with your waist measurement at the navel