PDA

View Full Version : How much cardio is to much?

cooper52
04-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Iam doing 30 minutes of cardio right now, i run about 4.5 miles. And one of my buddies walks cuz he says running is to catabolic. Well i was just wondering if iam shooting my self in the foot with that much cardio?...its not that intense my heart rate is aound 145 when i get done.

in10city
04-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Iam doing 30 minutes of cardio right now, i run about 4.5 miles. And one of my buddies walks cuz he says running is to catabolic. Well i was just wondering if iam shooting my self in the foot with that much cardio?...its not that intense my heart rate is aound 145 when i get done.
Your "buddy" is a knucklehead. You know... weight training can be catabolic too... are you going to stop doing that?

Anyhow, the catabolic nature of exercise in general is closely tied to many things, including the intensity & duration of the exercise, current hormonal state (cortisol for example), substrate availability, and nutritional intervention before and after the session.

So properly fueled exercise that is not overly protracted can be done without scavenging your muscle.

JmoFinD
04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
take down some BCAAs while your doing your cardio PostWO

Carbs will help you secrete insulin and fight off cortisol which degrades your muscles after you work out

maybe even think about mixing BCAAs in a gatorade PostWO, depending on your goals

senorhayabusa
04-02-2008, 01:58 PM
i do about 25 minutes of treadmill at 6.4 mph

then half hour of stairclimbers at level 12

I think i overdid it because my thighs and lower back feel like jello now. Currently taking flax seed oil and resting to remedy the situation.

akrain11
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
i do 2.5 miles on the tred a day, around 6-7 level. and i bike when its good weather, so i think ur fine.

Eileen
04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
It says really bad things about modern society when half an hour of cardio has us wondering if we are overdoing it. Running a marathon may screw up your muscle building, some light running for 30 minutes won't.

braddd
04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
It says really bad things about modern society when half an hour of cardio has us wondering if we are overdoing it. Running a marathon may screw up your muscle building, some light running for 30 minutes won't.

+2. So true.

cooper52
04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
lol for sure. thanks for the advice...hurray i get to keep busting my ass

TheNormalMan
04-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I do a minimum of one hour of cardio per day six days a week often split up over two sessions. I did two 45 minute sessions today since I didn't lift today.