PDA

View Full Version : Canned chicken question please....

Wayne Evans
04-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Mornin' everyone......

I've been eating the Valley Fresh canned chicked pretty much every day at work since my last 'canned chicken' inquiry here sometime last year.

A friend of mine here at work was at Costco and picked me up a sixer of the Kirkland brand with the ingredients being:

1) chicken breast meat
2) water
3) seasoning (salt, modified food starch, sodium phosphates, chicken broth and natural flavors ?)

What I'm curious about is the 945 grams of sodium that comes with this 12.5 oz. can.
Personally, I do NOT think salt is the bad guy many make it out to be.

But, would this amount of sodium (about 500 mg for 1/2 can) be more than one may want for our BB purposes or am I being retentive and overthinking the amount of sodium intake with this brand?

Many thanks....

dbx
04-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Wayne, that's a lot of sodium for one can, but.... Tell you what; look down the page a bit and find the "sodium" thread, and then decide from there.

Minotaur
04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I've bought that brand, and it is somewhat salty. Drain it well, run it under the faucet and drink more water.

Wayne Evans
04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Wayne, that's a lot of sodium for one can, but.... Tell you what; look down the page a bit and find the "sodium" thread, and then decide from there.

DBX....
No ****.....that's what I was thinking too but needed to get some opinions here.
The Valley Fresh brand is only water and chicken so I'm sticking with that brand.
Ok...I didn't see the 'sodium' thread so I'll check it also.

Minotaur....
I'll take your suggestions with what I have left.
I tried a 1/2 can (along with some cottage cheese, pineapple and whole grain toast) this morning and it is quite noticeably saltier than the Valley Fresh brand.

Thanks for chiming in gents.