PDA

View Full Version : Triceps!

britonarius
04-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Heres a serious question regarding my favourite part to hate - the tricep. I hate them because i can't seem to build them in the same way as i do the bicep despite my best efforts. I currently use a barbell superset of Skullcrusher and Old school at 60 kilos for 4X6 with only 20 seconds rest between sets and the tricep dip machine at 100 kilos [ max weight of the machine] with cable reverse exercise at 60 kilos [ both at 4X6 with 20 second pause. I tend to do this 2X per week , they get DOMS , are hot and sore but the growth is minimal compared to the bicep and other areas.
Any suggestions as to other exercises that might spurt growth them?

wide lats
04-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Cable pushdowns i reckon are the most effective tri exercise there is. Heavy but not too heavy that you moving your body when working.

JoeFab
04-01-2008, 03:16 AM
It may be that you are overtraining them a bit. Consider that you probably do Chest and Shoulders sometime during your weekly routine. Benching and overhead presses hit those triceps pretty hard.

Maybe you might want to think about doing those Skullcrushers, dips and cable exercises once a week instead of twice.

Just a thought, and good luck to you!

Skidmarx
04-01-2008, 03:43 AM
You might want to get one of these guys...

http://berrysbarbell.com/merchant/976/images/large/bigfit_1968_20291301.jpg

I love mine. I do overhead tri extensions, seated.

ntrllftr
04-01-2008, 03:50 AM
A double drop set with push downs
Example:
120lbs as many as you can do
90lbs as many as you can do
70lbs as many as you can do

Keep hitting those skull crushers as well.

Have you been doing kick backs, dumbell overhead extensions, cable rope bent over extensions or close grip bench?

Hitting them from different angles help out a lot.

Just some food for thought.

britonarius
04-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Example:

Have you been doing kick backs, dumbell overhead extensions, cable rope bent over extensions or close grip bench?

Yes - thanks. I do close grip on the bench with the skull crushers , wide grip with the old school - i do occasionally the kickbacks and cable rope but must admit i have tried db overhead extensions. I'll look at the points you suggested and the db's.

BIG GUNNS
04-01-2008, 05:14 AM
Jack ....I always try to use a barbell or EZ bar a cable exercise and then a dumbbell for both biceps and triceps. Ive been doing EZ bar lying tricep press to my forehead (skullcrusher) then cable tricep presses with a V attachment and seated over head tricep extensions with a rope and kickbacks with dumbells and dips (weighted when I can) or a dip machine .So Im working my tricep by pressing up pressing down pressing across pressing back and pressing at the side. I usually do maybe 3 of those exercises for 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps and kickbacks for 8-10. I will train them once a week and at times twice.

TANK25
04-01-2008, 05:29 AM
Heavy close grip flat bench!!!!

britonarius
04-01-2008, 05:43 AM
Heavy close grip flat bench!!!!

What do you mean by closegrip flatbench as i do skullcrushers with a closegrip on a flat bench [ using 60kilos - thats around 130lbs] albeit for only 4 X6 but i superset that with the old school [ wide grip ]. I tend to use a straight bar , would the E-Z bar make a difference?

TANK25
04-01-2008, 05:48 AM
What do you mean by closegrip flatbench as i do skullcrushers with a closegrip on a flat bench [ using 60kilos - thats around 130lbs] albeit for only 4 X6 but i superset that with the old school [ wide grip ]. I tend to use a straight bar , would the E-Z bar make a difference?
I use a straight bar and place my hands right on the inside of the grip part of the bar.My hands are about 5ins apart.

Thunderman
04-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Here is what I do, and it blows them up.

4 sets of skulls
1 30 second negative dip
3 sets of single arm cable pulldowns
1 30 second negative dip
3 sets of overhead single arm extensions
1 30 second negative dip

samori
04-01-2008, 06:10 AM

I think Tank is refering to close grip flat bench press.

Set up for a normal flat bench press but bring your hands closer together. I use about 8 inches, some prefer more some less. But that distance is the minimum for me so my wrist holds up.

I've broken my right wrist twice so I'm careful when doing these.

Inthegrass
04-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Heres a serious question regarding my favourite part to hate - the tricep. I hate them because i can't seem to build them in the same way as i do the bicep despite my best efforts. I currently use a barbell superset of Skullcrusher and Old school at 60 kilos for 4X6 with only 20 seconds rest between sets and the tricep dip machine at 100 kilos [ max weight of the machine] with cable reverse exercise at 60 kilos [ both at 4X6 with 20 second pause. I tend to do this 2X per week , they get DOMS , are hot and sore but the growth is minimal compared to the bicep and other areas.
Any suggestions as to other exercises that might spurt growth them?

I think I'm the opposite of you. My triceps are better than my biceps.
I guess everyone is different.
I find the toughest exercise I do for my triceps is knuckle push-ups, fists about three inches apart under my sternum and elbows tucked in tightly to my sides. That's not the key though. The key is to do the push-ups very very slowly. At least a count of ten and pause half way up for the count of two both on the way up and on the way down. Also I add weight. If I'm at home here I have my daughter sit on me or I have someone add plates on my back at the gym. It's murder!!!!

Jeff

Olie
04-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Cable press downs, close grip bench press and dips. Work them on your chest day after your chest workout. If you want to work them more than once a week, try close hand pushups a couple of times a week. Make sure to be working your posterior deltoids too.

bodyhard
04-01-2008, 07:13 AM
IMO you are doing too many exercises for such a small muscle. If your triceps are not responding I would do less, not more.

You have been attacking them with high volume for a great deal of time why not change that to a lower volume, higher intensity type training with more compound movements?

Example workout would be.

Close Grip Bench heavy/heavy, 4 sets 4-6 reps

Weighted Dips, medium/Heavy 4 sets 6-8 reps

Two Arm Over head DB extensions medium 5 sets 8-10 reps

Gorilladf
04-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Jack ....I always try to use a barbell or EZ bar a cable exercise and then a dumbbell for both biceps and triceps. Ive been doing EZ bar lying tricep press to my forehead (skullcrusher) then cable tricep presses with a V attachment and seated over head tricep extensions with a rope and kickbacks with dumbells and dips (weighted when I can) or a dip machine .So Im working my tricep by pressing up pressing down pressing across pressing back and pressing at the side. I usually do maybe 3 of those exercises for 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps and kickbacks for 8-10. I will train them once a week and at times twice.

Pretty much what I do as well. I also use a REALLY close grip on the tricep flat bench. Like... my hand are touching. I feel the burn better this way.

I also do another cable pull down that kicks my butt. Attach the single hand grip attachment. grab with one hand and hold with palm facing towards your chest. Pull down to side of body...repeat..(Its like a reverse curl) It works a weird angle on the triceps and your lucky if you can use 20lbs!

bassing68
04-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Example:

.X2

chodan9
04-01-2008, 07:34 AM
I agree with BH, too much focus on the tri's,
I have been getting better results on my tri's than bi's though.
I only do 3 tri excercises.
weighted and bodyweight dips, "2 to 3 sets weighted and 2 to 3 bodyweight"
cable pull downs
and DB kick backs.

I would switch out the dip machine for actual bodyweight/weighted dips especially since you have maxxed it out