PDA

View Full Version : Advice you wish you had when you were 35

snorkelman
03-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Okay, I'm 35. I think that I have a lot more knowledge now than when I was 18 and starting to lift weights. I was part of the whole low fat, high carb craze of the 90's and now I finally understand why I never had a 6-pack when I ate a mound of pasta before bed (it seemed perfect at the time because it was fat free).

I now eat 6 meals a day with a 40/40/20 macronutrient split, with a free meal per week.

I am bombarded with tricks and tips from this website and magazines about supplements and workout routines. This brings me to my question. Please share with me the top couple of crucial pieces of advice that you wish you knew years ago.

For instance, I wish I understood the importance of pre and post workout nutrition years ago. I wish I also understood the difference between whey protein and casein proteins. I also wish I understood how fats could actually be helpful and certain healthy fats should purposely be included daily.

Bottom line, share the top things that you wish someone more knowledgeable shared with you.

Thanks in advance.

eddied27
03-31-2008, 06:47 PM
If a routine is working and you're making gains, why change it??

With all the information that is out there and as overwhelming as it all can be, keep reminding yourself that you are one of a kind and what works for others may not necessarily work for you.

Dieting sucks! :D :p

runner05
03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
"Go for what you want and MAKE it happen!"

Only YOU can make life and all its goodness happen for YOU. You can ask all the advice you want and do all the research you want to do, buy all the gadgets, supplements and whatever else you feel you need, but... in the long run, its YOU that still has to make it happen and find what works for you.

I know this is nothing new... but it's sure something I had REALLY listened to long before I was even 35!

And, fortunately for you, me, and so many others, this is an awesome site to get some real advice from so many real people that have "been there, done that".

I'm just a beginner in this whole fitness thing, but I still want to wish you luck! :) And, thanks to those helping us get there!

asmolenski
03-31-2008, 11:42 PM
I wish someone had told me to buy stock in Apple and Google ... I'd be retired now!

Hindsite is always 20/20 - dont look back - live every day to the fullest and the future will take care of itself...

strghtrzr
03-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Listen to your body. That is what I wish I had learned earlier. If the body says it is time for a break, I take a break. Ever since I started really paying attention to how I feel, my improvement have been great, and my injuries have gone down.

Rest when the body says rest.

raffim
03-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Straps are your friend!!!! No joke... I'm being serious for once! :)

mechenot
04-01-2008, 04:47 AM
I always tried to live by "the only advice I have is don't take my advice".

However I would listen to "experience", most of the time.

When I started all this [lifting weights] I listened, read and researched. Results, for me, came from following the basic diet and workouts that many others have already practiced. From "doing what they did" as close as I could, I began to understand much of what they all were saying and writing about.

Advice "can be" cheap. Other's experiences can lead to wealth.

AdmiralNaismith
04-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Don't be in a hurry.

Make exercise a permanent part of your life, and you will reach any goal you desire. Push yourself too hard too fast and you could end up with an injury that could last the rest of your life.

Don't be afraid to enjoy life. If you enjoy pasta, by all means have some! Just be aware of what you put in your mouth. Moderation is the key.

johnnyironboard
04-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Bottom line, share the top things that you wish someone more knowledgeable shared with you.

Thanks in advance.

The low carb diet.

Don71
04-01-2008, 07:25 AM
The low carb diet.

That's it.

I'm 36 right now. You don't know how many times I thought 'I wish someone would of told me about this when I was 16.'

Gorilladf
04-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Eating Nachos and Pasta all thru college is not a good idea.

Just because you can eat anything you want and not gain weight now, doesn't mean your body will turn on you in your late 20's.

Just because you have a ripped six pack now, doen't mean you will always have it.

Finding a wife that can cook great is a blessing and a curse :)

Stevelegh
04-01-2008, 07:44 AM
I'd say two, one of which has been already listed, but they end up being one simple answer, if you'll bear with me.

First: Listen to your body. I lost loads of weight when I decided as a new years resolution to only eat enough to not feel hungry and only when I was.

The other is to eat 6 small meals.

Sounds like a contradicton, but here's my reasoning. I used to only eat enough to not feel hungry, but due to stress and always having something to do, I'd forget to eat and threw my body into 'starvation mode' only eating one meal every evening at around 9pm. No breakfast, no lunch, no snacks. No time!

I never ever got hungry but I got to a point where I was a 'thin fatty'. Normal weight, but no muscle definition and a belly.

My wife noticed that my previous round shoulders were more feminine and boney.

I started eating and started shifting weight, then started training.

Now I think I've screwed myself and kind of turned into a 'hardgainer' as despite eating like a pig, I can put weight on.

Either that, or I'm outtraining my diet, which I doubt.

I think all the diets, high carb, low carb, Atkins, low GI have messed up a generation when regular weight training and eating to support it is one of the only ways to go.

You guys know this and have known this since year dot. How anyone listens to these arseholes who sell the latest diet, fad, tea or machine, I'll never know.

So the one thing I wish I was told:

Lift weights! Everything else just falls into place.........

liftiron68
04-01-2008, 08:22 AM
I too was part of the carb craze, and remember getting stuck at 180 lbs and wondering why I couldn't gain. I was told I'm a hard gainer and to hit the gym more.

I wish someone would have told me about protein and eating correctly (6 meals a day), and also to eat the same on the off days. Which I did not.

Also... I wish someone would have told me to workout only 4 days per week, do heavy weight and low reps, and rest completely on those other 3 days.

With the knowledge I have gained in the last year between reading, my doctor, and friends at the gym, I have already come much further than before at 28. I'm 189lbs and am gaining at a great pace.

chodan9
04-01-2008, 09:12 AM
for me it is something I am still trying to learn.
keeping things in balance.
dont do too much of anything, even bodybuilding. set managable goals on the way to larger goals.
If you have a setback dont beat yourself up, just start where your at and move forward.
take time out of your training/dieting schedule periodically to enjoy life and to refocus on the reason why your doing it in the first place, what ever that reason that is.
and finally when you have a cheat meal make it count. Dont get a big mac and fries, have a sit down meal of your favorite home cooked comfort foods, they tend to be a bit healthier than you average junk plus they will give your soul a refeed.