PDA

View Full Version : Just getting back in the game!!!

garroutte
03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
First off Hello everyone.I used to be a regular on the elite fitness forum before I got hurt 4 yrs. ago. I pulled a hernia and before I got over the surgery fully, I broke my heel on the job,so I've been mainly doing my 50 pushups and arm workouts with my 45's every other day since then.I'm 6'0" 225lbs so I'm not hugely obese by any means,but boy have I grown soft!The size is there but the strength I had is gone and so is the hardness.I just bought an olympic set again with the bench,some dumbbells,and a curl bar.I have many questions before starting again though and being 41 I thought I'd do some good here.I'm mainly going for size as I always have,I don't want to be fat but I'm not looking for a 8 pack either.Before this all happened I weighed 240 with 17% BF.I know I need to start out slow again and work up to the heavy,but how have diets changed if any?What should I be eating.and should I start out with a protien shake,creatine diet right away?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GreenWave1
03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Welcome back to the gym. Diets haven't changed. Eat clean, lots of protein. A protein shake with some form of simple carbs (maltodextron, waxymaize) and creatine if you like, is great post workout. If you have trouble getting in your protein during the day, then you can supplement with shakes.

Good luck hitting your goals. You know what to do. Get it going.

garroutte
03-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Here's a pic for the before.And thanks Kevin.

Wayne Evans
03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
First off Hello everyone.I used to be a regular on the elite fitness forum before I got hurt 4 yrs. ago. I pulled a hernia and before I got over the surgery fully, I broke my heel on the job,so I've been mainly doing my 50 pushups and arm workouts with my 45's every other day since then.I'm 6'0" 225lbs so I'm not hugely obese by any means,but boy have I grown soft!The size is there but the strength I had is gone and so is the hardness.I just bought an olympic set again with the bench,some dumbbells,and a curl bar.I have many questions before starting again though and being 41 I thought I'd do some good here.I'm mainly going for size as I always have,I don't want to be fat but I'm not looking for a 8 pack either.Before this all happened I weighed 240 with 17% BF.I know I need to start out slow again and work up to the heavy,but how have diets changed if any?What should I be eating.and should I start out with a protien shake,creatine diet right away?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey garroutte.....

Well, Kevin gave you the eating tips for starters.

Start smart....slowly, with intensity and discipline....and your goals with occurr whether you like it or not. <grin>

Make every rep a deliberate move.

Lots of knowledge here to assist you.

Good luck on your quest.

ohiobowhunter75
03-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Looks like your starting out with a good frame to build on.You should do very well.Good luck and congrats on getting back in the game.

CanadianMoose
03-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Welcome back..I know the feeling:) I am just back a couple mths now after several yrs off..I am making amazing gains,good old muscle memory!:) And you will too!!!.....In two mths you will feel, and look a lot like the old you..
Muscle memory is an amazing thing,in several mths i am almost the size i was years ago! ...All the best!

garroutte
03-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys.I sure don't want to grow older and look like a wrinkled old prune or worse yet a blimp.My next door neighbor is 53 and he looks better now than he did at 30,guy is pumped,he's never stopped for over a year though.He eats nothing but cold cut sandwiches and protien drinks.