PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Back Workout

Thunderman
03-31-2008, 05:08 AM
Searched the site and can't seem to find a really good one. I am really weak in my back, it is by far my least favorite and worst body group. Does anyone here know a good way to blow it up? Anyone have a good routine I could start?

Mike

jtroster
03-31-2008, 05:33 AM
Stealing From the Pros: Back Training (http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/stealing_from_the_pros_back_training)
4 Directions to a Kick-Ass Back (http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/4_directions_to_a_kickass_back)

Thunderman
03-31-2008, 05:48 AM
you like t nation huh? Is it a pretty good site?

jtroster
03-31-2008, 05:58 AM
you like t nation huh? Is it a pretty good site?
The articles are great. The forums are not worth visiting.

ironwill2008
03-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Searched the site and can't seem to find a really good one. I am really weak in my back, it is by far my least favorite and worst body group. Does anyone here know a good way to blow it up? Anyone have a good routine I could start?

Mike

Hey, Thunderman! I think maybe your problem isn't the routine you're using. In your post you state that back is your least favorite group. For me, calves are my least favorite bodypart to train, and guess what? My calves are not up to par. We need to find a way to get away from that line of thinking. I can do the latest, best calf routine in the world, but if I'm not mentally on-board, my calves will still suck. Just something to think about.

Thunderman
03-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Hmmmmmmmm, I think you might be onto something :-) I hit it pretty hard every week, but I just can't seem to put any size on in my back. I do think that I give up too easily and could hit it harder. But a good routine would also get me on the right track.

T

greyhair
03-31-2008, 06:59 AM

Mike

Where exactly do you want to improve?
Lats? Traps? Spinal Erectors?
All of the above?

ectoBgone
03-31-2008, 07:03 AM
What are you currently doing for back? I've had good results coming from a routine that involves the following movements:

Dead Lifts (I also finish with a shrug movement)
Pull-Ups (I vary the grip between narrow and wide from week to week)
Bent Barbell Rows or T-Bar Rows

bulldog71
03-31-2008, 07:07 AM
My $.02.

Pullups
Deadlifts
Bent-over BB Rows
1 arm DB rows

and if you have the juice left in you...
Seated cable rows

If this doesn't hammer your back, then nothing will!

Whiskeyjack
03-31-2008, 09:33 AM
My $.02.

Pullups
Deadlifts
Bent-over BB Rows
1 arm DB rows

and if you have the juice left in you...
Seated cable rows

If this doesn't hammer your back, then nothing will!

Joey's provided some good exercise suggestions, but to do all of 'em in a back workout will lead to overload, IMHO.

I divide back training into 3 basics:
- Width - wide grip overhand (thumbless) pullups and lat pulldowns (front and back)
- Thickness - T-bars, b-rows, 1-arm DB rows, cable rows
- Strength - deadlifts, SLDLs, shrugs, cleans, power cleans/snatches, pulls

The "strength" group will also do much for erectors, traps, thickness and even some width. I think the answer for an overall back workout is a judicious combination of these 3 types, shifted for various emphases and set/rep configs. Here are 3 samples. Obviously there are many ways to vary the sets, reps, and emphases.

Back workout 1:
- Pullups 3x8-10
- Deadlifts 3x5
- Rows 3x8

Back workout 2:
- Pullups 3x8-10
- Rows 3x8
- Pulls 3x6

Back workout 3:
- (Power) cleans or snatches, or deadlifts 3x5
- Rows 3x8
- Lat pulldowns 3x8-10

Thunderman
03-31-2008, 09:58 AM
I can't do many pullups, 2 or 3 max........ I am just very weak in the back. Today I did the following:
Dumbell Pullovers
2 Negative Pullups
4 sets of wide grip pull downs
2 negative pullups
4 sets of Hammer Strength single pulls
2 negs again
4 sets of Tbar
Lower Back Lifts

Killed it

boathead
03-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Hey, Thunderman! I think maybe your problem isn't the routine you're using. In your post you state that back is your least favorite group. For me, calves are my least favorite bodypart to train, and guess what? My calves are not up to par. We need to find a way to get away from that line of thinking. I can do the latest, best calf routine in the world, but if I'm not mentally on-board, my calves will still suck. Just something to think about.

i agree with this. 3 months ago, i had shoulder surgery, so instead of doing nothing, i committed myself to embracing the leg part of my workouts. i have always done legs, but NEVER with any enthusiasm.

i've tried to have a more positive, up-beat approach to legs, and i can tell you in 3 short months, legs are now my favorite. i've seen tremendous growth.

as far as back goes, i agree with a few posters that the staples should be:
deadlifts
pullups
and some sort of horizontal pulls, such as cable rows or bb rows or 1 arm rows.

if pullups are difficult for you, i suggest that you continue working the negatives, but also put a chair under you, and do assist yourself on the positive aspect.

getting your back in order will be next to impossible unless you somehow get your pullup/chinups going. btw, chinups are easier than pullups, so maybe try them.

ServoScanMan
04-01-2008, 04:01 AM
I do bentover barbell rows, pull-ups (weighted),chin-ups (weighted) and bent leg deadlifts for my back. The added benifit is what it does for my arms. :)

Gorilladf
04-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I can't do many pullups, 2 or 3 max........ I am just very weak in the back. Today I did the following:

at 225 lbs I have the same problem. I use the weight assisted pull up machine. See if your gym has one. Its a great help!